Can anyone identify this speaker?

cyclonecj

I was at the Masonic Hall in San Leandro for a Rainbow event with my Daughter when I saw this up high on the wall. I could not find a name on it, & no one in the hall knew anything about it. I know I have seen it somewhere. Any ideas?

speaker.jpg

There was just the one speaker, & from the pic you can see how high it was on the wall. No one in the hall knew anything including, including where the electronics were.

I thought it might be an EV or Jensen, so I looked at hifilit.com & could not find it.

I might add that this is a very old masonic hall, so it might even be original equipment!

If it is indeed a Hammond organ speaker (which is what I believe it to be), if it has a rotating drum device connected to a dual-horn tweeter and rotating baffles on the woofer, then the speaker is most likely a Hammond patented design called a "Leslie Speaker". Ref: http://blues.about.com/library/weekly/aa092800b.htm It creates a "tremolo" effect (that works on the doppler-effect prinicpal of sound) on demand via a remote switch thrown by the organist. They were commonly used alone as a main speaker for the organ, but sometimes offered with an extention cabinet. Although both cabinets resembled one-another the main speaker was commonly the only one that contained the Leslie device, which was evident from the location of a grille or sound cut-outs near the top sides of the cabinet. The extention speaker rarely contained a Leslie. Hope this helps.

-Picky 2.gif

I remember listening to a speaker like this (the one with the rotating drum) connected to a guitar in a very lively room drinking beer (CycloneCJ may recognize that room by name The Maintenance Shop at the Memorial Union). The guitar run thorugh the hammond organ speaker in this highly reflective room really added to the buzz from drinking a lot of beer. It was like having the spins without having the ill effects. A great sound though.

Klipschfoot:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it's probably a Hammond (or other brand) organ extention speaker and not a Leslie: No slots.

CC1091:

Back in the late 1960's and the 1970's, connecting a Leslie speaker up to a lead electric guitar was somewhat common. The group 'Three Dog Night' put out many songs using this technique on parts of their songs. Other groups such as 'The Beatles' and 'Peter Frampton's group' (Frampton also used a device called the "Voice Bag" that was rather interesting). Today, the effect can be achieved electronically and it has been "baked" into many portable, electronic pedal designs. I agree, it is a really unique and enjoyable sound. As with most effects, they seem to be most effective when used sparingly.

-Picky 2.gif