39 today.....

maxg

Well thanks all - again.

Wasnt much of a b'day in the end. I came down with yet another bug (ear and throat infection) and have been off for 2 days (this is the second). It all antibiotics and tea with honey for me at the moment.

Anyway I said I would compare the 2 versions of Sax Collosus I have and here is the immediate impression.

First off the difference is not nearly as dramatic I was expecting. That is a very good XRCD and truely shows, I think, what CD is capable of. The vinyl is better in my book - its smoother, less strained and feels more natural somehow. I think it gives the playback a more relaxed feel almost as if this was a recording the performers enjoyed making as opposed to striving for technical perfection if you know what I mean.

The problem with Jazz - for me - is that it needs volume to be appreciated. Due to my listening habits (i.e. nightime listening with wife and baby asleep) volume is a luxury I do not usually have to lavish on my playback.

This is not the case for classical. I find I get all the enjoyment of classical with the volume averaging 80 dB at my listening position compared to, say 95 for Jazz.

I should say that this album is the quietest vinyl I think I own - indistinguishable from the CD in background noise level - if anything it may even be quieter. Amazing how you forget just how perfect brand new vinyl can sound.

The funny thing is the Mozart on Columbia Materworks was also sealed and is similarly perfect in condition. Another nice surprise on this one was - it is a double album!!

That makes the Mozart my first ever Colombia that is dead silent other than the music. I have always found that these recordings are excellent sonically but listening appears to be through something of a rainstorm. From now on I will only ever go for sealed Masterworks.

Just as a point of contrast the Philips Grandioso series recording I also picked up (Mendelssohn variations) is about the 8th such recording that, although 2nd hand has a silent background. For ex-digital people these recordings are the easiest pathway back into vinyl, avoiding the shock of the hiss, pops and clicks.

I've gotten disillusioned comparing digital v. vinyl for alledgedly the same source. There seems to be too many differences between the mastering of each to make comparisons worthwhile. While I don't have a lot of overlap between the two mediums, every digital copy seems to have digititus compared to the vinyl. Of course, the vinyl has the occasional surface noise component, but on the whole seems "thicker" or "fuller" or something.

I may have to sell my CD player and get a cheaper one. Invest the diff in more vinyl.

Max, see my post in the other thread on the recording quality. I guess I went a bit overboard but was just trying to make the point not to lose sight. I dont think you do really...usually. heh.

I have a great vinyl version of Saxophone Collosus as well as the K2 20Bit rendition. I agree that the K2 process is pretty good for digital but damn if the vinyl is just on another level, even more so than other K2 vs vinyl comparisons. As noted above, it actually has MORE resolution(in that vinyl sense - those that listen to good analog will know what I mean) as well as more relaxed dynamics, sounding more natural and less processed to me. YEs, this is subtle but easily felt/observed when playing on my Linn.

The vinyl just ebbs and flows more.... It swings and sounds closer to the event. While I can sometimes forget the difference when I throw on the CD for ease, when I drop the vinyl on, it's like "OH YEAAAAH, that's it."

On the volume with Jazz aspect, that's an interesting point. I dont necessarily agree totatlly but do like jazz with a bit of volume too. But I think you can listen at lower levels at late night and be just as absorbed in the music. Sometimes it will just pull you in, no matter what the level. Then again, low level ability is not always done with aplomb by many systems. This is a good sign if your system CAN do this.

kh

"This is a good sign if your system CAN do this."

That was the main aim in building the system up - to be able to play music at as low a sound level as possible whilst getting, or appearing to get, all the sound.

AS I have "upgraded" I am pleased to say that the required volume level has fallen steadily to the point I am now.

Even so, different music has different volume level "needs" to sound good. Take, for example Roger Water's Amused to Death - at lower levels it sounds OK but nothing special - at a certain point (5 clicks on my volume pots) it comes alive. Classical, generally but neither exlusively nor completely, needs only 2 clicks.

Glad to see you didnt cream me in 2 posts on the same subject!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/15/2004 3:00:42 AM maxg wrote:

Well thanks all - again.

Wasnt much of a b'day in the end. I came down with yet another bug (ear and throat infection) and have been off for 2 days (this is the second). It all antibiotics and tea with honey for me at the moment.

maxg,

Happy birthaday, sorry to hear you had a bad present for it(at least it wasn't the big 40)Hope you recieve a little something better when your felling well

2.gif I cab relate, I turned 45 on the 2nd, and was flying back from Mexico that day(took 14 hours14.gif And got a flu for a gift, I am still down. The only bright spot is the NEW stuff I have in transit to me now!. Relax and have a nice warm cocktail hopefully with a nice warm massage of the ENTIRE body6.gif

Happy belated B-day

Smilin and hoping ya feel better12.gif

----------------

On 1/15/2004 11:55:44 AM smilin wrote:

----------------

On 1/15/2004 3:00:42 AM maxg wrote:

Well thanks all - again.

maxg,

Happy birthaday, sorry to hear you had a bad present for it(at least it wasn't the big 40)Hope you recieve a little something better when your felling well

2.gif

I cab relate, I turned 45 on the 2nd, and was flying back from Mexico that day(took 14 hours
14.gif
And got a flu for a gift, I am still down. The only bright spot is the NEW stuff I have in transit to me now!. Relax and have a nice warm cocktail hopefully with a nice warm massage of the ENTIRE body
6.gif

Happy belated B-day

Smilin and hoping ya feel better
12.gif

----------------
Max G,

Sorry to go off course on your thread her. Happy birthday!

Steve,

Let me know what you think the minute you hook up that 272 to your CW's. I am on pins and needles awaiting your response.

You are going to be blown away by the sound if my 299D is any indication. And I know the 272 will be even better.

The seller of my 272 claims he hasn't gotten my money order yet although I sent it last week? So he is waiting to get it before he sends it to NOSValves.