Soldering Station Question

triceratops

Back in my younger days I used to build various electronic kits (Dyna PAT-4, Heathkit TA-16 Guitar Amp, Anderton devices, etc) and do simple repairs to my cables and guitar amps. I have used a Weller soldering pencil for years and have wanted to eventually get a fancy temperature-controlled soldering station.

Now that my Klipsch hobby has gotten me back into messing around with electonics (recently replaced the power supply caps in my Eico HF-81) I again started thinking about getting a better soldering rig.

Yesterday I saw a new Weller WES51 Soldering station on sale at a local electronics store. This is the successor to the WES50 and normal retail is about $100. The WES51 is on sale for $80 and comes with a $20 rebate certificate to bring the price down to $60. That seems like a great deal to me, but what do the resident soldering iron experts think?

I've heard that Hakko stuff is also well thought of and they have a similar unit for about $90. But the Weller is attractive because it is so inexpensive. Would a WES51 be good enough for use on tweaks or assembly of high-end audio gear?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Thanks for the fast response, folks. I thought this Weller would be a good way to go, and glad to hear that Dean likes this model. Over the years, I worked for a couple of employers that had Weller controlled temperature soldering stations for the workbenches, but that was about 30 years ago and I'm sure if I could remember the models they would be long discontinued by now. So I'll jump on the WES51 bandwagon. Thanks again.

Best in horns,

triceratops