transparent klipschorn

mbajner

That is a KDPC model Klipschorn. KDPC=Klipschorn, Decorator cabinet-style, Plexiglass, Clear

9.gif

This one was NOT the only one of these made...If I remember correctly, two or three of these were eventually built...much to the chagrin of the poor souls chosen to do the building of them! The first one was built about the same time that I started working there...or a bit before that...1976...either way...I saw it right after I started working there...it was in for some kinda repair to its side panels, it seems the glue didn't want to hold them well, so they reinforced the joints with metal strips and screws. I know that at least one was built WHILE I worked there, but can't remember exactly when that was! The main reason for the building of these was to better illustrate to potential customers how the k-horn bass-bin functions...pictures of this do not tell the story nearly as well as a good "walk-around" of the unit does, though!

I thought the paper model I made this past weekend was quite informative, that is until I saw this plexi-glass beauty.

Gil - was the rotating baffle electrically motorized, or spun as a result of SPL? Just curious.

Also curious about the notched, rectangular "B" pieces. Please elaborate. Thanks for your help.

Chris

I saw it in the Klipsch museum. I don't recall if the one there had a motor attached but obviously that was the idea.

In the 60's the Leslie organ had an HF unit with two drivers on a turntable. (Not Klipsch.) I recall at least some were horns. The player could alter the rate of rotation and thus you had something as slow as a whaa whaa effect which could be altered in rate.

Obviously Klipsch was experimenting.

Gil

Gil,

I have a (purchased in) '61 Leslie Model 45 (no amp) "Voice of the Pipe Organ", with spinning twin horn and effects drum. The drivers are fixed. Woofer is Jensen P15LL, upper end is Jensen driver labeled V 20 C6609 on magnet and V 21 C6607 on mounting flange.

The tremolo effect can be mesmerizing, and a lot of fun with the right people! Wish I had a Hammond B3, and knew how to play it!!

Chris

Tom,

I'd like to get around to a better model, as this one is slightly warped, and the front panel is slightly out of proportion to the rest. Any heavy pen you see is my attempt at sizing a 15" woofer in the drawing, and the top panel (showing the woofer) is a horizontal section that shows the woofer for clarity. Not meant to be misleading.

Last week I started Google searching the various patent numbers on my speakers (I get bored easily) and found some fascinating things. I was able to print the April 17, 1945 Klipschorn patent. No dimensions are given except for front panel, front to corner, and front to intersection of the planes that make up the panels between the room walls and the horn's interior. The rest could probably be scaled fairly well, and the drawings are quite informative.

With a combination of printer and camera, I was able to size and print copies of the patent drawings and tape them together into the model. I will look for the link to the patents, and also post an alternate method of construction included in this patent document for your review.

Chris

This was submitted as Figure 8 of the patent. It is an alternate form of construction for "theater applications" with twice the power handling. I REALLY want to know what could be expected of such construction, and how the sonic signature could be affected. This method of construction seems much simpler than the Khorn, and the dimension/appearance is the same as the regular version. Any thoughts people?

Gil, you are right. I always wondered where Klipsch got the extra back chamber area (I've read approx. 4800 cu.in. total) but couldn't see how if the baffle board did not have cutouts in it. I've only seen the SpeakerLab plans until now. Good observation!

DM

I am pretty sure the University of New Mexico....Has a clear one where Paul is honored.

Gill your humor again..PWK was in style with Birkenstocks before his day..LOL.

They used to show a pair on the roadshow tours in late 1970's. Thats the only pair I have seen upfront and upclose.

I recall that the Leslie was very big during the period of the British Invasion . . . though I guess Americans used it too.

- - - - - -

I believe the first increase in back chamber came with the use of the four B pieces. Before that there was something like the B which extended the full height of the cabinet. It is difficult to explain but it closed off the sections to the left and right of the first section of expansion.

This may have been when PWK went to the 15 inch driver with a larger throat. Maybe.

I'm dealing with some inference here . . . I think the notch out of the smaller B sections came later. The hole communicates to the wedges so there is yet more volume. I recall reference that PWK used a solvent on the spider to decease the sping constant and thus lower the resonant frequency of the orginal 15 inch drivers. Maybe he didn't have to do that with the larger volume. Larger volume, less spring. (Note how low the Vas is on the Jubilee? Edit: Meaning low Fs of the driver)

I've seen a set of SpeakerLab plans with some pencilled in errata, saying not to cut the notch. PWK said that SL copied some of his mistakes. Whether this is what he was speaking of . . . is just a guess. Of course this creates a very complex back chamber which is difficult to seal. I did not notch out the B on my home makes.

- - - - - -

I haven't been to the USPTO site recently. However, you do need the special TIFF plug in. Apparently the file format is required by international convention. Perhaps it is security issue so that the file can't be altered.

I think you'll find there is an option to save as a bitmap. This makes for a very big file. However, you can then use a program of choice to open the bitmap and save it as .jpg (Paint does this) or a .gif. Naturally these are much smaller and suitable for posting.

- - - - - -

The PTO system can not search the data base for text prior to 1976. So you can't search for Klipsch. You can search by patent number. Someone here will be able to give us the number for the MCM and the Valerie bass horns. My info is back at the office.

BTW I highly recommend those because they include a nice description of theory of design by PWK himself. Full dimensions are not given. However, there are enough to transfer to the drawings and you'd have a good start on building some for yourself.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 1/22/2004 9:32:18 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I am pretty sure the University of New Mexico....Has a clear one where Paul is honored.

----------------

Actually, it's at the Klipsch Museum at New Mexico State University. Big difference, big, big, big difference...