NOS RCA 2A3 Blackplates for Moondogs

LonestarBlues

----------------

On 1/22/2004 12:36:32 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Daddydee, was that "you've got mail" for me? I didnt get any mail via my forum address although if you sent through the Klipsch site, you never know how fast that goes.

kh

Mobile, nope it's for Mike.

Just letting him know I've got a backup pair of RCA JAN CRC VT95 that I'd gotten in a quad I purchased NOS earlier in the year.

They do sound good with the Wrights. Mostly what I listen to is piano solos, vocals and blues and Jazz.

I'll give the Sovteks a month or two in duty to get a feel for them. I'm not home much so listening time is inconsistent. I would like to hear them though so I know what I have for backup.

The AVVT's were around $375 for the matched pair from Jac Music in Germany. Jac was GREAT to work with. Too bad the Euro was so strong, they might have been cheaper. Nevertheless, when Jeff and I got done specifying the components in the Horus, we spared nothing I could recall in quality, from the cobalt OPT's to the Black Gate caps. At that point, I wasn't going to try to skimp on the output tubes.

I'm still rolling the 6SN7's on the Pantheon. Currently I have a pair of JAN black-coated ... and they sound very smooth. I'm thinking about putting the Sylvania's back in tonight for a listening session before putting the Sovteks into place. I really love the Sylvanias for some reason; they just have a really nice musical presence.

Craig,

Even if you can't read this while on the way to visit your father, I'll end the mystery. The 299b that Kelly is going to listen to is mine. He wanted to listen to one because of all the rave reviews by forum members and to do a page on his web site. Plus he's going to clean it up a little for me.If he likes the sound and gives it a glowing review I'll mention it in my ad. If not my freinds Guido and Rocco will pay a call, then he can clean the bottom of his boat while it is in the water!14.gif No pressure Kelly!2.gif

Rick

Mike,

At that price of the $250 range have you considered the TJ Meshplates? - I'm very happy with mine and have recently aquired a pair of the 45 Tj Meshplates.

I am getting less fond of NOS tubes, because of problems with age - Vacuum Loss, loose pins, loose bases. When there is a great new production tube, I usually go for it!

Just a thought.

I agree with the Sovtek as leading the "bang for buck" parade. The RCA Blackplates are still at the top of my 2A3 chain because I have not been able to justify springing the dollars for AVVTs with 3 pair of 40's vintage RCAs, one pair which is JAN CRC VT-95's. Throw in a pair of Rogers 2A3s with the two pair of Sov's and there's no doubt I'll own a 2A3 amp at least the next 10 to 15 years.

One additional note on the Sovtek 2A3. Like the KR2A3, it can be run at higher voltage for that extra wpc and is deemed rugged enough to not suffer premature failure. I actually preferred it's better "midrange" flesh at the the higher voltage.

Klipsch out.

PS. Anyone willing to send a pair of AVVT's my way?

I called TubeWorld and talked to Brendan. He recommended a pair of 1947 RCA blackplates-$225 pair over the more expensive JAN CRC tubes he has in stock. He said they have the same internal structure as the JAN CRC tubes. The JAN CRC pairs of tubes he has are different year vintages. He also had some JAN CRC tube pairs of different years at $225 pair. I bought a pair of the 1947 RCA blackplates. He has a picture of a

1943 & 1947 RCA blackplate you can pull up.

Regards, Mike

WEll, Brendan will certainly usually tell you exactly what he has and be fair about it. I think it's great he leveled with you here if he didnt have the right match up of the JAN CRC VT95 tubes. For what it's worth, my '44 JAN CRC VT95 came from Brendan's stock as well, but way of a good buddy, Jack G, my best tube supplier over the years. Let us know how they do.

Some worry about the voltages via the stock Moondog. My last voltage test before I did some changes was actually 372/373 or so at the 2A3. It's now 347. I am actually still trying to get the MD balanced to me liking as some of the changes brought better results in areas and more problems in others.

kh

Enjoy the blackplates Mike! Got a pair from Brendan a few years ago, too, it's a Tube World indeed.

To give folks an idea on numbers, was in contact recently with Bob Ungemach of AMR (A Music Resource), the U.S. distributor for Emission Labs, here is his latest price quote..

2a3 solid plate reference series : 360 /pair in stock

2a3 window mesh : 450 / pair not in stock

45 solid plate : 350 /pair in stock

45 window mesh 440 / pair in stock

300b solid plate reference series : 390 /pair in stock

300b xls hi power version : 540.00 /pair in stock