What am I looking at on this old AA crossover? Attenuator?

Daddy Dee

I could use some help identifying something on this crossover.

In the middle of the board, is something that looks to me like an attenuator to adjust the volume of the tweeter, and or maybe the squawker, but I don't know. I've assumed that this was not a part of the PWK design, but sure could use some help here.

What am I looking at?

any help appreciated.

post-11993-13819251720256_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/25/2004 5:13:57 PM Guy Landau wrote:

these are the High frequency (tweeter) protection diodes. If you're not using a high power amp, they can be removed for better HF extension.
----------------

Thanks Guy,

I'm guessing those are what I've heard referred to as Zener or some such diodes?

With 2A3's I guess I'm not in too much danger of blowing the tweeters!9.gif

----------------

On 1/25/2004 6:04:12 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Try to unscrew the screw that goes into the plastic cap of the left inductor. You might hear more HF improvement.
----------------

What will be happening with the crossover if this is done?

I know it like the red wire/white wire conorundum in a Mel Gibson movie. I took mine out and I survived! Alright Dean, I heard you say "shucks"!9.gif

I really didn't hear any difference, but then again I didn't hear any difference if you get my drift. The change, if there, is more subtle than my tin ears can percieve.YMMV Can't hurt.

Rick

Dee,

The 2 devices on the aluminum Ell are zener diodes. The trade name is KLiP Circuit. They chop off all of the signal to the tweeter above 2 watts and do it harshly. It you remove one from the Ell, the circuit will not work and the tweeter will get a cleaner signal, sounding better at high volumes. I've disconnected mine and have not damaged a tweeter with a 140 watt amp. If you have AlNiCo tweeters, don't it.

----------------

On 1/26/2004 1:47:10 AM John Albright wrote:

Dee,

The 2 devices on the aluminum Ell are zener diodes. The trade name is KLiP Circuit. They chop off all of the signal to the tweeter above 2 watts and do it harshly. It you remove one from the Ell, the circuit will not work and the tweeter will get a cleaner signal, sounding better at high volumes. I've disconnected mine and have not damaged a tweeter with a 140 watt amp. If you have AlNiCo tweeters, don't it.

----------------

John. Thanks for the advisement here. I do have some alinco and some ceramic tweeters I'll watch out for. I may just swap in the ceramic's to be safe cutting out the Zener.

As long as you don't clip the tweeters there should be no problem. At least I hope there isn't. MC352 350 watts. I've run my Belles at over 150 but not continuos and not just a few times in the 28yrs I've owned them. OTOH I have not unsoldered the diodes either.

hoggy

----------------

On 1/26/2004 6:55:29 PM hoggy wrote:

As long as you don't clip the tweeters there should be no problem. At least I hope there isn't. MC352 350 watts. I've run my Belles at over 150 but not continuos and not just a few times in the 28yrs I've owned them. OTOH I have not unsoldered the diodes either.

hoggy
----------------

Hoggy

You've had your Belle's 28 years. Man. Yep, I guess I'll be safe with my 3.5 wpc 9.gif