false corners for kHorns

steve

I know this has been covered before, but I did a search on this BB, and came up with the topic, but I can't find any specs on building the false corners for KHorns..I saw one post where Macklipsch said "here it is" but I didn't see any attachment!

Has someone got this info/link?

Thanx!

Steve

Hi Guys,

Has anyone used false corners and floated the speakers in a room? If so pictures would be appreciated.

I recall from past posts that it is okay to stop the false corner at the top of the base cabinet. Aside from including a floor with the corners does anyone have any suggestions or modifications to the plans before construction begins?

Thanks,

Stu

Welcome, StuDog.

Why do you want Klipschorns off the floor?

You don't need the sides to be any more than 40" long, just so they are flush with the front. Depending on exactly how you construct it, one side may be closer to 44", since you have to allow for the thickness of the wall, which will be close to 4".

That is true, you don't need to make the false corner any taller than to cover up the bass horn section. The top section doesn't need to be enclosed at all.

Thanks Paul,

I dont want the speakers off of the floor, they just wont be near a walltheyll be floating out in the room.

By the way those Belles look GREAT in your room. I saw that you have Plexiglas tops on them. Are the pros and cons between plexiglas and glass tops?

Thanks,

Stu

Thanks, Stu. I understand what you mean by floating now. Well, it's better to have Klipschorns in good corners, but false corners are the only alternative a lot of times.

The plexiglas tops were included with my speakers when I bought them from another member here on the Forum. I actually have them off now, and will just use them for parties, to protect from food and drink. I don't know of any advantage or disadvantage of glass and plexiglas. The vibration is not going to matter in this situation. Glass weighs more and is more expensive. If it's not tempered, it might be a hazard.

Good luck.

----------------

On 1/26/2004 3:20:53 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

However, if there are concerns about the appearance involved, well, there's probably not many who would find the back of the top section attractive.

----------------

And it would keep cats out.

You might give some thought to how to get a good seal between the back of the K-Horn and the artificial corner. When people do this with a wall of the room, they put some sort of weather stripping on the back of the bass bin. You may want to do that on the artificial corner. I'd think about routing out a channel so it is not just a stick-on situation.

How to make it pretty, is pretty much up to you. Perhaps worth some thought.

Will there be some consideration of how to get the speaker drive wires out? A few banana plugs or whatever.

Will you be moving these beasts around? If so, I'd put a base on them so there is enough room to put, perhaps, 5 or 6 swivelling wheels. Whatever it takes to roll on the carpet.

It sounds silly, but the edges might accomodate some CD holders or something clever.

Best of luck with the project.

Gil

This picture isn't to good, but you can see that I added an angled back board to give me a better seal with the Klipschorn tail board. I also added a wood bottom to the horn so the klipschorn doesn't sit on the carpet. I used 2 x 6 framing and doubled up 3/4" plywood. The false corners are made in two pieces so I can unscrew them and take them apart. They are too heavy and big to move in one piece.

post-2405-13819251765716_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot showing both corners when I was comparing a Jensen Imperial replica on the right that I built. I was told that the Imperial was a better sounding bass horn so I had to give it a try. The jury is still out on that one. Above the TV is a University Classic , I put it there while I'm rebuilding this unit. I used to use a LaScala for the center, but the LaScala doesn't so low enought for me. Those two cabinets on each side of the University are placed the right distance apart for a false corner for a Klipschorn. Now that my Altec and JBL top mods are done I'm back to working on my Klipschorn center channel that is going above the TV.

My lower false corners have tops and are about 4' deep. This was done to hold the LaScala front effect speakers that you see in the upper corners.

post-2405-13819251766456_thumb.jpg

Here'a a shot of my "falsie". As you can see in the pic it extends out quite a bit farther than 8"s. The false walls pictured in the Dope from Hope must be really short. My wall is 43" not 48, so tack on another 5" if you're going 4 foot.

Apologies in advance, it seemed to take a while to upload so the photo is probably huge. 15.gif

post-11495-13819251771026_thumb.jpg

Dean

appreciate the post from "Dope From Hope"..I also appreciate all he other postings..I have a problem of having a concrete footing in one corner, and the heat register in ther other..can't get the perfect seal..I may just build a false wall on top of the footing, like half of a false corner to solve that speaker's problem..and possibly another half false corner in front of the wall register..hmmm..might be easier than I thought!

Again, thanx all!

Steve