buying fortes of RF series

pulmoguy

I am finally replacing my stereo from College days (circa Watergate) as the components die out. I like nice toys, but am basically cheap (or love a bargain.) I just bought a Sony 2 x 100W receiver (don't laugh, please) and am looking at Klipsch speakers on ebay and other sites.

Any thoughts on Forte or Forte II's vs. RF 35 or RF 3 II's? Other models?

My brother (the PhD metallurgical engineer) advised caution with old speakers due to cone degradation. What do you think?

I have an old Tudor house, living room is 30 x 15 with lots of walnut, spanish plaster, drafty bay windows, and carpet currently over hardwood (may remove in future.) My wife might not be thrilled with black plastic or genuine vinyl imitation wood.

Please comment acousitcally & aesthetically. Thanks.1.gif

You should have a listen before you make any decision. I would prefer the Heresy, Heresy II, Quartet, Forte, and Forte II over the RF3s or RF35s and I wouldn't worry about deterioration. Horns are solid and it isn't a big deal if you have to replace a woofer. You could get in here for between $275 and $700. If you want new, I would wait,save and go with the RF7s. With any of the options, you won't need 100W per channel to make them sing. If you buy on eBay, learn as much as possible about the seller. Ask questions, analyze answers, consider S&H charges and fees. Ask someone on this forum to take a look at them and give you an opinion. These speakers can last a long time so don't make a hasty decision.

----------------

On 1/28/2004 12:51:49 AM pulmoguy wrote:

I am finally replacing my stereo from College days (circa Watergate) as the components die out. I like nice toys, but am basically cheap (or love a bargain.) I just bought a Sony 2 x 100W receiver (don't laugh, please) and am looking at Klipsch speakers on ebay and other sites.

Any thoughts on Forte or Forte II's vs. RF 35 or RF 3 II's? Other models?

My brother (the PhD metallurgical engineer) advised caution with old speakers due to cone degradation. What do you think?

I have an old Tudor house, living room is 30 x 15 with lots of walnut, spanish plaster, drafty bay windows, and carpet currently over hardwood (may remove in future.) My wife might not be thrilled with black plastic or genuine vinyl imitation wood.

Please comment acousitcally & aesthetically. Thanks.
1.gif

----------------

Welcome to the nut house PG!

This is the easiest question that has been posted on the Forum since I've been here! And there is a possibility that we are related, because I like to pay low prices for good quality equipment myself.

Here is what you need. A Scott or Fisher or Eico tube amp, a pair of walnut Cornwalls or Chorus or Forte speakers, and a somewhat decent CD player.

There are couple of guys here that restore old tube amps. They both do good work and get along like brothers (I have 2 brothers and we used to fight all the time). One of them is in Michigan and the other in Pennsylvania (alphabetically).

I recenly bought a pair of pristine walnut Chorus II's and use them with a Scott 222-C integrated amplifier. No sub needed with the Chorus. The seller that I bought from also had a pair of Forte II's that I auditioned and they are equally fine souding speakers. They were both built in 1990 and are still in good condition mechanically. Both will easily fill your large room with sound.

Look around for any of the aforementioned speakers in your area. Forget about shipping them, you'll be asking for trouble if you try to ship them. I paid $600 for my Chorus II's and the seller was asking $400 for the Forte II's that he had. I would consider both of those prices to be excellant.

For a 2-channel setup the above would be hard to beat both in cost and sound quality. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Keith

I really like my Fortes..havent heard them through a tube amp yet but the HK430 makes em sing..... great bass..think your speaker choice will be dependent on the type of music you listen to and at what decible lvl 9.gif as well as you budget..a good used set of Fortes can be had at a reasonable price and not only do they sound awesome but they are a very attractive pieces of furniture..of coarse a set of Khorns would be the best but them you'd have to go tubes3.gif

regards

dana

Used Klipsch can be a real bargain. eBay is not for the impetuous, but excellent deals are available. It would be better to buy speakers that you can inspect before you buy.

Klipsch makes excellent replacement parts available for a fair price. There are many K-horns playing today that are more than thirty years old.

The worst that might happen to a careful purchaser of used Klipsch is that you will have to replace drivers or crossovers. Total cost after replacement parts will be well below MSRP of new speakers and performance will be top notch. In other words, a careful buyer is not likely to loose.

The Forte and ForteII speakers are very good for 2 channel use. They have excellent bass and all of the other qualities that Klipsch are known for. Before you buy, you should be certain that you like the horn sound of Klipsch and that you are willing to get the electronics on the front end up to speed.

Klipsch speakers are extremely sensitive. They bring out the best and the worst in any system.

In a multi-channel setup, I would not recommend Fortes due to lack of an available center (the Academy) and surround matches. The Academy can run over $500 used, when you can find one. In multi-channel it would be better to buy RF-7s or 5s with a real wood finish.

Stick around and read on this forum. You will learn about the used Klipsch market.

Bill

Pulmoguy, I think T2K is hinting at you to lose the Sony! In any event I agree with his advice and choices on tube equipment. If you can't bring yourself to go with tube amplification, try to audition pre-1980 Marantz Solid-State. My 2385 is barely post-Watergate era and it sounds like new! Rocks the apartment complex like a 900lb gorilla, too!

However, in your shoes if you insist on keeping the Sony (I bet you'll divorce it later), I'd lean towards the Fortes. A good tube setup like a Fisher 400 or Scottt will drive them nicely. You've got a big room (I don't) and they should really shine. The Chorus II is another speaker you might want to consider.

Bought my perfect KG4s on Ebay, but like McCoo said, check the seller! Study their feedback carefully and good hunting!

You can actually go listen to the RF series, which can't be said for some of the older Klipsch products. Be careful with taking recommendations to heart --

I have it on good authority that the Chorus' are dynamite, and something that size is probably better suited to your bigger room. Of course, finding a mint pair that your wife would be pleased with might be difficult, or necessitate a long wait. Shipping hassle can be nightmare as well.

If you want real wood veneer, you will need to step up to the RF-5. More money, but worth it. Better yet, and a pinnicle of good sound would be the RF-7.

You don't HAVE to lose the Sony receiver, but you probably should take it back if it's not too late. At least spend more and go with an ES model, which is better built, and uses discrete components. You can't cheat on the amplification with horn speakers.

Pulmoguy,

As you can see there are as many opinions as there are people willing to answer - bottom line: Klipsch is a great choice - all the better for a large room - I've owned Heritage and currently own Reference RF5s - both would fill your room quite well - the heritage in great condition cosmetically will be difficult to find but possible - all the better id you can AVOID shipping - the Brown guys don't care what they throw around.

The new reference are great - both the RF5 and RF7 woudl be exceptional prices - ask a local dealer to discount and they usually will knock up to 25% off. The real wood veneer is visibly superior unless you go with the black finishes. Finally as already said by others - let YOUR ears be your guide - use a recording that you know very well when auditioning.

Mark