belle vs. lascala.... what are the differences????

KungFuNat

just had a long conversation on the phone with craig from nosvalves about picking up a used amp for the system im gonna be putting together in the near future. when i told him i was gonna go with belles, he said that the mid-range horn isnt quite as long or wide as the horns in the k-horn or lascala... now i havent had any experience with a lascala, but are there any major difference between the belles or lascala?? the specs are almost identical. are there any major differences in the way they sound?? if they are almost identical, ill probably save a few bucks and go with a pair of lascalas..

btw, anyone whos thinking of working with craig, the simple fact that he called me on the phone to discuss a "future" rebuild of an amp that i dont even own yet sayes alot about his customer service. simply outstanding.

u rule craig...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nat,

Belle's and LaScala's seem to be thought of as essentially equivalent in sound. Craig is right that the Belle mid horn is slightly shorter, allowing the Belle a more petite and living room friendly appearance. The Belle is in more of a "console" looking format and the LaScala looks like what it was designed to be: a big aggressive looking PA speaker. IMO the choice would rest on two considerations: 1) price; 2) style preference. If you are married, it might earn some good will to let your spouse make the call.9.gif

I wipe the drool off my chin every night after listening to the Walnut Belles. One of my friends loves to come over for visits and stare at the bookend matching veneers on the front faces. They definitely are dining room quality looks, and can also inspire a mosh pit. The Scalas will dominate a room, unless you have a huge great room. Both are wonderful sounding, though the Scalas will deliver a little more. For looks, the Belles are the best speakers Klipsch makes, IMO.

Yep, I had a pair just like the ones you are describing, Oak Clear finish with Cane Grills - Stunning! 1980's w/soldered terminal K-55V mids. I relunctantly parted with them to upgrade to Khorns in Oak Oil, I would have used them in the rear but they were just too damn wide. Truly a beautiful speaker!

----------------

On 1/29/2004 3:46:36 PM TBrennan wrote:

IME, side by side, they sounded identical. The Belle is one of the sharpest looking speakers ever made, oak with cane grills, hubba-hubba.
----------------

Tom,

I'm surprised you say this since the Mid range horn lense is very different. Have you actually A/Bed ? Not questioning your word here just surprised. I have never heard a pair of Bells.

Craig

----------------

On 1/29/2004 4:57:17 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 1/29/2004 3:46:36 PM TBrennan wrote:

IME, side by side, they sounded identical. The Belle is one of the sharpest looking speakers ever made, oak with cane grills, hubba-hubba.----------------

Tom,

I'm surprised you say this since the Mid range horn lense is very different. Have you actually A/Bed ? Not questioning your word here just surprised. I have never heard a pair of Bells.

Craig

----------------

You're just pro Lascala dude. And I don't blame you for that one bit.9.gif

Craig----The horn isn't that much different; same flare and flare rate, the Belle's horn is just shorter and has a correspondingly smaller mouth. Same dispersion of course and IME dispersion pattern has a greater effect on horn sound than anything else does.

I spent many hours A-B-ing LaScalas against Belles and KHorns about 30 years ago before I bought my first set of LaScalas and was quite satisfied that they sounded identical, haven't done so recently.

I note that in modern Klipsches the LS crosses at 400 and the Belle at 450; back in the old days the crossover was identical and at 400.

Tom,

ever see the difference between the Model H and the Heresy? The box is shallower, the opening of the mid-horn is smaller. Predict any difference in the sound? I was looking at trading my virgin 77's for a really nice pair of like 1962 Mahogany Model H's, they would visually match my '60 Mahogany Khorns nicely.

any ideas here?

Tom

Tom---Do the Hs use that real skinny mid horn like with the Shorthorn some fella had pictures of here some time back? University drivers?

I don't know what they sound like, I'd take a chance and buy'em, they probably sound very good. I'm just going by PWK's reputation ya understand.