Dope From Hope!

Mr. P

Klipsch used to publish a book called "The Audio Papers", and a newsletter type thing called "Dope from Hope" - "a spasmotic publication of the engineering department at Klipsch (before Dope got a bad conotation). Is this information available on this site? Is anyone interested in any of it?

Let me know if there is any interest.

When I was a Klipsch, there was a grand total of 110 people working there, including the sales force. We all wore a lot of hats. I worked with Paul on Speaker design and modification, I ran tests on new or modified drivers and crossover networks. I did a large part of the customer service work for people with home systems as well as some service work with the commerical sound equipment. I made changes in factory systems and test booths.

In other words I was a "free agent" and I was never bored!!!

I noticed today that the Klipsch home page has some archive pictures for desktop use. One shows a plexiglass K-horn that I used to do some experiments on cone excursion in the bass cabinet. I mounted a ruler inside and glued a white paper diamond on the back of the cone.

You could then put a sine wave into the speaker and use a General Radio strobe light tuned to a slightly different frequency to make the white diamond appear to move very slowly. I was able to take maximum excursion measurements visually.

Sounds dull to some, but I really enjoyed it.

More later.2.gif

Nice to meet your Mr P.

Did you work at Klipsch the same time Andy did? He was the Cornwall builder guy in the late 70's early '80s. He posts a lot here and has helps quite a bit for us who refinish and repair our older beloved Heritage.

Also do some searches about 2 years ago, he posed a lot of pics and stories of the old days at Klipsch. Very fun reads.

Looking forward to your future posts1.gif

JM

JM,

I was there during that time frame, and I probably knew him. I have slept too many times since then and met too many people to remember him from those clues.

I guess you mean he did the final assembly work on the Cornwalls. That was installing drivers, crossovers, back, riser base and grill cloth.

I will be looking for him.

I will start scanning the Dope from Hope as soon as I can. You shouldn't have to buy that stuff!!!9.gif

Actually, Andy's handle is: HDBR Hersey Birch Raw Decorator

He worked primarily on the HDBR models but did have his hands on most other models too.

I believe Andy was primarily involved in the construction of the enclosures instead of final assembley.

John Albright, I did not have any direct involvement with your LaScalas. I was already in Texas building "Spy Planes" at that point.

I helped develop some improvements to the LaSacla, however, the most effective change was rejected by the marketing and sales force because it was ugly.

It is still a needed change to correct a notch in the frequency response of the bass section at 150Hz. The outside wall of the bass section vibrates heavily and cancels the bass at about 150Hz. A brace should be installed to tie the outside wall to the dog house section.

I would be interested in any of the Klipsch technical publications (yes, I bought the "Dope From Hope" reproductions off the internet). There was also another publication call "Frequency Response" from the mid '80s. I don't know how long Klipsch published that, but I have about 4 of these that I received shortly after I bought my KG4s in 1985.

Well, Mr. P,

Some of us have discovered the brace ourselves and I'd have to agree it could easily be ugly. Mine had already been finished beautifully before I decided the side walls of the bass horn needed stiffening. i'm not willing to risk screwing them up to add the brace, now. Confirming my suspicions is/was the HPS4000 version if the La Scala and, of course, the Peavey FH1. I did not realize what the brace did in the FH1, and didn't see the HPS4000 until after I bought my La Scalas.