Linseed to LIGHTS OUT!

Lucky Leeroy

----------------

On 2/10/2004 1:22:04 AM wrench_peddler wrote:

WOW!!!! That is unbelievable! I bet we hear on the news in the next day or two that there is a shortage on boiled linseed oil nationwide. Every Klipsch owner in the country is going to be cleaning off shelves at every builder supply. You have got to be absolutely thrilled. Good for you.

----------------

Ok, So thats what they look like after a little TLC. Now, Where do you normally buy linseed oil?? I've got a pair of Corns to do now, and another set to do in April.

----------------

On 2/10/2004 8:45:16 AM JohnWhite wrote:

Where do you normally buy linseed oil??

----------------

You can buy it at Wal-Mart, in with refinishing supplies. Also hardware stores. Be careful of the rags afterwards. They can spontaneously combust.

Great job on those Corns. I have been a bit nervous about using sandpaper or steel wool on my speakers, since it just seems counterproductive, but maybe this will get me off the fence.

You can buy BLO at most hardware stores. HD has it in 1qt containers and the big 1 gal size, which I may get next time since it does very well on oiled finishes. I need to give my speakers a drink pretty soon as well.

And folks who talk about spontaneous combustion speak the truth. I was nearly a victim of this. I had used one rag to do ALL my speakers, so it was quite saturated when I was done. I was planning on using it again for a light coat, and had just plopped that rag into a pile with the ones I used to rub down the speakers. After a few hours, I really started to notice a strange smell in the room, but didn't connect the dots for about another hour. I wandered back in the room and it was pretty smoky, and I looked at the rags and there was a big brown burn mark there. Fortunately I was able to get the rags outside about a minute before they burst into flame.

It was one of those, "Gee that's pretty cool, but wow did I get lucky" moments, as I was nearly ready to leave to go to the store. Would have been bad news for sure. So, I'll be heading the warnings for sure.

mbajner

The smell is fairly strong, about a 7 on the 10 scale, so it depends on how sensitive the home dwellers are. The scent will be pretty strong for about two weeks if not ventilated well.

Jhawk

Fear not! The veneer is much harder than you would think - each speaker took about 5 hours and never really made a dent (no pun intended) in the overlay.

Pirahna

Straight boiled linseed oil. Three coats to start with, sanding in between each. Saturate the surface, then spread evenly and let set for just a couple of minutes. Pulled off the excess with clean dry rags (I used cotton diapers - find something lint free). If you leave the surface damp you will have problems getting the oil to setup. The oil must be buffed out completely or you will be left with a tacky surface that will catch every piece of lint in the house.

THE COMBUSTION PROBLEM IS REAL!!!!!!!!!!

I filled an old ice cream bucket with water for the rags - a metal bucket would work best.

I started the sanding with 150grit to even out the water stains and the deeper scratches.

I started the finishing with 240, 320 and 400 3M Sandblaster paper using a tack cloth in between each step. The last step I completed with a type of synthetic steel wool (0000). The pad reminded me of the old green scratch pad for cleaning dishes. This thing works even better than steel wool as it does not fall apart and does not fill up with the dust as bad.

Lightly sanding the first couple of coats of boiled linseed oil helps to take out the tackiness of the coats. The oiling needs the MOST attention as the oil will become hard to work with if left on to long.

• 4 months later...

*** APPLAUSE ***

Very Nice, Leeroy! I was on forum hiatus when you posted these....

Let this be proof that the Cornwall is still the king of performance for the dollar. $500 for THOSE?????? That's not just a good deal, it's stealin'. So newbies to this forum: Observe what Lucky Leeroy did here, then repeat the process9.gif