Chorus; Forte - original or "2's"

richieb

New to this forum but have owned LaScalla and Heresy in the past. Even had heritage JBL S-7 long ago. Tried ribbons also, but how much live music do hear played through ribbon speakers!? Would like to sample Cornwalls but not enough space. Want that horn sound again so Chorus or Forte seems a good choice, but which, the original or "2's". Please explain the difference and pros/cons of each.

Driving with 30WPC EL-34 tube integrated in a fair sized room. I see some nice pieces on E-bay today or any available wtih a forum member. Thank you all. Rich

You can probably get the better price on a Forte, and I like them better than the Chorus, although you'd think the Chorus would have better bass...

Between the '1' and '2' they changed the upper drivers. Look at the older products section on the main page to compare.

The original Chorus was a front "ported" design. The ChorusII went to a rear 15" passive radiator and "Tractrix" midrange horn. The Forte went from a 12" passive radiator to a 15" in the series II, and it also went to the same "tractrix" midrange horn.

Fine speakers any way you slice it.

I couldn't tell you which is better as I only own the ChorusII's and have never listened to the original version.

I sure do like these II's a LOT though 9.gif

Take care.......

Mike

I have both the Chorus II and Forte II, parents have both Forte and Forte II in HT, with the IIs as mains. It's been a while since I did any critical listening between Forte and Forte II, but both sound very good. Info above is correct on differences between Forte and FII, 12" to 15" passive. I don't think there was any change in bass response with the new passive.

Chorus vs. Chorus II, original Chorus was ported, and I think was rated to 45Hz. The II has the 15" passive and is rated to 39Hz. I have not heard a comparison between these two.

As far as Chorus II vs. Forte II, where I have the most experience, it's a tough matchup. The Forte II has just a bit lower bass response, 32Hz, and they are great speakers. The Chorus II doesn't hit quite as low, but I think it has better hi and mid-range than its little brother. That's why I moved the Forte IIs to the surrounds when I got the Chorus IIs. If you have the room for the Chorus IIs, then I'd go that route, for the better mid/highs. You will notice a small difference in bass response, so if you are a bass fiend, or not using a sub, then you may want to look at the Forte II.

Both (all) models are very good and you won't be disappointed at all. Good luck.

Audio-

I hope to name that CD player sometime soon. I have an audition with a local fellow who has an AH! NT4000 with the upsampler on Saturday. He's got 'stats, which shouldn't be too bad, but I'll try and get him to bring the unit over to my place to hear it on the K-horns.

Also, you mention the mid of the Chorus II vs. Cornwall. Sprocket and I did a side-by-side comparison last summer, my Chorus IIs and his Cornwalls. If you do a search in the 2-ch forum (Chorus II/Cornwall shootout) you should find it. Both are great speakers, but I think we agreed that each of us liked our own speakers best. We never did get a chance to compare these two with the Scott 299B, or compare the K-horn and CW.

I think the tractrix horns as a type sound pretty good. Several years ago I modded the last set of Cornwalls I owned by substituting tractrix mid horns for the stock K-600s. The horns were from Klipsch Pro and similar to the horns used in the Chorus IIs.

I thought the tractrix horns improved the sound; better imaging and tone. But then you always like the mods you make.

See the picture.

post-6913-13819252117526_thumb.jpg

I have Forte II and Quartets, both with the Tractrix. I love the sound. OTOH I have not compared them side by side with a Forte I.

It seems that the Klipsch people developed the Tractix, they thought it was such an improvement that they created the Forte II and Chorus II to take advantage of it. So they thought it was something special.

It is difficult to say where the price performance equation comes out any of these speakers. I'd say the Forte II is the best combination of bass, size, and performance.

Gil

They do sound good. Not quite as "horny" I think.

Now that my ears have completely adjusted to the Exponential Horns in the K-horns, I wonder what I would think if hit with the Tractrix again.

Tom, you probably got your improved imaging from moving those lenses to the outside of the motorboard.

I had the opportunity to compare Chorus II's and Forte II's a while back with my Scott integrated. Listened to the Chorus first. Then the Forte. Upon listening to the Forte's they seemed to have much more bass.

Then I wired one Chorus to the left channel and a Forte to the right channel. Using the balance knob as a makeshift A-B switch I quickly switched from Chorus to Forte, Forte to Chorus.

There was not much difference in the bottom end. However, as Rob stated, the difference is in the highs. Just sitting back listening to music the highs of the Chorus seem to make the bass of the Chorus less apparent.

Both are fine speakers.

Keith