Definitive Technology vs Klipsch

Kyler Cavers

I do not understand the appeal of Def Tech speakers with a subwoofer in each speaker. The room modes must be difficult to deal with since there are multiple drivers located in less than ideal positions. The subs cannot be moved to ideal positions without placing the full range speakers in poor positions.

My RF-7s were run full range with the subwoofer and all the bass was extremely loud, but very poorly defined. When I cut the speakers at 80 Hz, the bass was much tighter. I have never heard a Def Tech system put out tight bass, but I have heard them put out a lot of bass.

Bill

----------------

On 2/12/2004 11:57:52 PM arthurs wrote:

Thank god we're all experts on what other people should/will hear when they listen to a speaker...
11.gif
----------------

no one is claiming that they are experts....just saying our opinions on the topic......

and we "experts" happen to own klipsch...on a klipsch forum..... and the original question was asking about klipsch speakers compared to his buddy's def tech speakers.....

so...what's your point?

----------------

no one is claiming that they are experts....just saying our opinions on the topic......

and we "experts" happen to own klipsch...on a klipsch forum..... and the original question was asking about klipsch speakers compared to his buddy's def tech speakers.....

so...what's your point?

----------------

I think his point was that its all OPINION. which is exactly it--if someone likes one thing over another that's their right.

In response to the movie theater aspect: THe people that do movies and soundtracks actually do not use KLIPSCH--they use B & W or M & K or WILSON AUDIO, and the enviorment is COMPLETELY different than your home. It is compairing essentially a PA system to a home system--which is a bad compairsion. I know someone who calibrates movie theater systems for a living and when I talked to him about DEF TECH speakers, he didn't make a MR. Yuck face or anything like that--in fact he said that he liked the way they sounded, and that their honest frequency response rivals some very pricey speakers. I do agree that because you can't position the subs that may be a shortcoming--and I will also say that EVERY speaker with an integrated subwoofer besides the DEF TECHS don't sound very good at all ( I did like Canton's though-) like, I listened to RFs next to POLK powered towers and the POLKs made me sick that they cost the same as the Klipsh, and I wanted to puke on the salesperson that even attempted to sell them to me. but I like the sound of the DEF TECHS for Small to mid size rooms. Now, for a theater sized room--or something bigger than a standard living room I would say that some of the best sound I've heard was from the HERITAGE series--Horns fill space very well, but I think they NEED that space to sound their best.

If I were to build a dedicated room--I'm not sure if I would use DEF TECHs for it, especially if I had the money--but I will say everyone that's heard my gear has been very impressed with the sound, and I've played some great 'audiophile' grade music pieces on them-and they really do sound fantastic. I'd like to give them more power though so they could really shine.

I don't think DEF TECHs kick klipsch *** or anything like that--I think they both sound better than 90% of the gear out there regardless of price-they just produce sound differently, and in turn have different appeals. I like my def techs for movies. I fell in love with them the first time I heard them, they made listening fun for me. end of story--I had heard Klipsch, Phase Tec (I use to own a phase tec speaker--fantastic sound-but they couldn't drive hard...) Polk, Canton, B & W, M & K, Eclipse, and numerous others and I just liked the way the Def Tech's sounded--they don't do well in open spaces though--they need to radiate off of walls. hearing them at a show will not do them justice.

If I had a choice and money was no object I'd have B & W 802s or Heritage...well..actually if money was no object I'd have WILSON audio...and all ADA components...someday...

----------------

On 2/11/2004 11:36:42 PM Kyler Cavers wrote:

Hey guys, lately I've been hearnig alot about Definitve Technology. My friend is apparently getting a pair of BP7000's, all I hear about is how they'll kick the crap outta my references'. I'd like to know what you all think about them?

----------------

That was the question. Was it not, RF?

Soooooooooo some of the most knowledgeable members on this forum that have had experience listening to both Klipsch and Def Tech speakers, for comparison purposes, GAVE their answers. What else do you want? Are we to qualify every sentence we write

concerning a preference we may have for one speaker over another with a list of facts and benchmark figures in order to change someone elses opinion about a product that they already dropped a bunch of money into? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

I come here to have fun and talk with fellow Klipsch owners not to argue with someone who throws their 2 cents in because they were told to. So go back to the person that told you to throw in your 2 cents and tell them just what you think. That were a bunch of people with some strong, unfounded opinions, and some very naive ideas. Satisfied?

Strother MARTIN.jpg

What we've GOT here is... FAILURE.. to communicate.

Some men you JUST CANT REACH.

So you get what we had here last week,

which is the way he wants it...

well,.. he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 12:03:48 AM m00n wrote:

arthurs, have you always had B&W or did you recently purchase them. I thought you had klipsch.

----------------

Moon, got the B&W's around July of last year. Sold my RF system to a buddy, but am currently putting a Klipsch RF based system into my bedroom.

As for the other comment, I think this board is at it's best when we're not only giving our personal perspectives on equipment, but encouraging others to listen for themselves and engaging in dialogue about what we're all hearing because what I believe and hear is bound to be different from what anyone else does and I might learn something from an exchange of ideas, not as likely from blanket statements couched as fact. I know it's a Klipsch board, I've been coming here for quite awhile, and I do expect members would like the sound of Klipsch over other speakers, but that in and of itself does not make other speakers inferior or poor, nor Klipsch superior. We should work to give context to our statements/opinions about any topic as understanding why we think what we do, the circumstances, experiences and events tha cause us to think that is the part that truly enlightens others, not the opinions themselves. IMO.

I guess based on all the posts here it's okay to have an opinion on how the forum functions as well? No flames needed or intended....I come in peace.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 10:19:35 AM BBB wrote:

Soooooooooo some of the most knowledgeable members on this forum that have had experience listening to both Klipsch and Def Tech speakers, for comparison purposes, GAVE their answers. What else do you want? Are we to qualify every sentence we write concerning a preference we may have for one speaker over another with a list of facts and benchmark figures in order to change someone elses opinion about a product that they already dropped a bunch of money into? Sounds like a waste of time to me. I come here to have fun and talk with fellow Klipsch owners not to argue with someone who throws their 2 cents in because they were told to. So go back to the person that told you to throw in your 2 cents and tell them just what you think. That were a bunch of people with some strong, unfounded opinions, and some very naive ideas. Satisfied?

----------------

You took the words right out of my mouth. RF, it's obvious you enjoy Def Tech more than most members on this forum. That's cool. Most don't. I don't. That's the bottom line, so why not leave it at that?

Case closed. Court adjourned.

Yeah, this thread got out of hand pretty quick. Reminds me of when I first showed up here last year - there was that one dude who kept screaming "Dynaudio!" over and over again, and fifty people would jump on him and it would make a big ugly mess.

Let's all enjoy our speakers, and let's try discussing the merits of speakers in a calm, friendly fashion. We're not (all) teenagers here, we can behave ourselves and have intelligent discussions. Hell, I just got off the phone with David Bailey from Triad - we had a nice discussion about their speakers, and I mentioned Klipsch, and he basically said that Klipsch has a completely different philosophy about how their systems run, and that Triad is a 100% HT-oriented system, where Klipsch are definitely geared more towards music. He didn't dog Klipsch. Why not? Because intelligent adults don't run around dogging on different brand names of speakers in the high end market, unless it's something like KLH that we can all agree is trash, and can back our statements up with cold, hard facts.

hey nicholt, do you experience the discs running ultra hot in your Denon 3800? I have one in it's box in the closet that I'm thinking about keeping for my bedroom setup, but remember it making the discs blazing hot. trying to figure out if that's normal or I need to have it looked at. thanks.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 1:51:21 PM m00n wrote:

The Triad plant is about 20 minutes from me. I wonder if they have a showroom. Would be cool to go see the plant.

----------------

Man, their in-wall subs are pretty damned cool looking. Haven't actually heard any of the stuff (gotta talk to my rep about getting me some samples) but it's the perfect answer to the WAF problem - everything's in the walls, and can be custom-matched to your decor (send 'em a sample and they'll match paint and/or stain!)

well,here goes my $.02:

been in the 'biz' for over 13 yrs., and been listening to music live and recorded all my life.

liked cerwin vegas as i grew up (70's)as a teen. they played loud, and lotsa bass (dad and a couple of friends had 'em)

liked klipsch as well, w/2 different friends owning them. one has heresy's(still going after 24yrs.!) the other had cornwalls...

i preferred the sound of def tech bi-polar towers to the likes of klipsch chorus/and the kg"" series that were being sold about 9-10 yrs. ago, except when i wanted a live LOUD concert sound, then klipsch was my preference.

i preferred either of those to boston acoustics.

i sold my dad a set of def tech bp 2002 tl's w/integrated 15" subs, bpx2 surrounds(NICE)and he bought the center w/integrated sub. they sound good, and fill their room nicely.

both my dad and i prefer the sound of my Klipsch ht setup (see signature). we use the same receiver(i got him one for xmas a little over a year ago).

so, go listen, then decide.

avman.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 2:00:38 PM arthurs wrote:

hey nicholt, do you experience the discs running ultra hot in your Denon 3800? I have one in it's box in the closet that I'm thinking about keeping for my bedroom setup, but remember it making the discs blazing hot. trying to figure out if that's normal or I need to have it looked at. thanks.

----------------

Umm...sometimes it was decently warm, never hot though. Definitely not blazing hot haha. If it's not the ventilation problem, perhaps your 3800 is an older (as in pre-september 2002) model, which exhibited numerous problems as over heating, laser pickup skips, and worst of all - the chroma bug.

I never wanted this to get out of control and as I've said before I really like Klipsch speakers--I think they sound fantastic, and after hearing a well set up dedicated home theater with HERITAGE's I was very very impressed.

This post became inane at a point because all I kept saying is go listen to things and decide on that basis, and yet people still kept saying things that really don't prove much except that this is a klipsh board and there are some Fanatics on here. I'm sure I could go to a Def Tech board out there post the same question and get an equal number of fanatics saying the exact same things about their speaker of choice.

Its personal prefrence. I don't berate anyone for likeing what they like, nor have I ever said that Klipsch speakers are bad in any way. It just came down to what wowed me and what didn't. I like the bigger def tech speakers but they don't work well for very large open spaces--horns do. they project more. its the primary reason why nightclubs use horns for their speakers, they fill space incredibly well. But--my room is about 17 x 20 and my def techs do a fantastic job. It is a living room, not a dedicated theater. This is a crucial difference.

Like it or not, Def techs are a very highly rated speaker and have won numerous awards for their sound quality. And, again--like it or not, quite a few home theater places use Def Tech's for their display rooms, and many many professional critics rave about their sound. Does this make it sound any differently to your ear? obviously, it does not. I'm merely trying to show that there are lots of people out there that really think Def Tech do a great job in all arenas, and they are not "ok" or "crap" or whatever else people have called them. I'm sure someone will say that the reviewers say that because of all the advertising Def Tech does, and how its a big speaker "conspiracy" and etc etc, but does that mean that every major audio publication is "in on it"? because, I can find reviews for DEF TECH in most major magazines, and NOT A SINGLE ONE has said bad things about these speakers. I haven't heard their new 7000 line yet, and these could be awful because they did redesign them, but the BP3000 and down were quite nice. And linking them to BOSE...well...thats just low.

and in regards to this whole "teritorrial" nonsense about this being a klipsch site and blah blah blah--thats just childish. I like to talk to people that know their equipment, pure and simple. People on here have shown me that they have an expertise that is worth listening to. If you don't want to talk to me, or feel I have a valid opinion because I don't own the same speakers as you...well...isn't that a bit rediculous?

in regard to me being "told to throw my 2 cents in" I follow this board because I was invited to a klipsh gathering. I was quiet at first because i thought that I would be blasted for not owning Klipsch products, but I wasn't and I was greeted well, and was able to speak with some very wonderful, interesting, fun people. And these people, despite their absolute love of Klipsch products still were able to maintain an element of impartiality which I had absolute respect for.

I guess the initial question should have never been asked on a "klipsh" forum, but instead a "speaker" forum, because it seems that people cannot look past what they already possess. there have been a few posts in this thread that I have nothing but respect for, and to those people I thank you for your well founded opinions and casual take on the question, not to mention your honest answer.

But, to those of you who describe how much you enjoy your system by putting down people that don't have the same thing--your opinions are meaningless and flawed to me.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 4:59:49 PM RFinco wrote:

Like it or not, Def techs are a very highly rated speaker and have won numerous awards for their sound quality. And, again--like it or not, quite a few home theater places use Def Tech's for their display rooms, and many many professional critics rave about their sound. Does this make it sound any differently to your ear? obviously, it does not. I'm merely trying to show that there are lots of people out there that really think Def Tech do a great job in all arenas, and they are not "ok" or "crap" or whatever else people have called them. I'm sure someone will say that the reviewers say that because of all the advertising Def Tech does, and how its a big speaker "conspiracy" and etc etc, but does that mean that every major audio publication is "in on it"? because, I can find reviews for DEF TECH in most major magazines, and NOT A SINGLE ONE has said bad things about these speakers. I haven't heard their new 7000 line yet, and these could be awful because they did redesign them, but the BP3000 and down were quite nice. And linking them to BOSE...well...thats just low.

----------------

it's amazing that everyone else here is a fanatic and you are the only one who can present logical facts.....

yeah.... this is a forum...not an advertising venue...... yet all you've done is a barely disguised def tech advertisement.... in every post you say the same thing about how great your speakers are.....

and i'm pretty sure that i'm not alone with the sentiment...... i don't care....

p.s..... i was being generous with my "o.k." rating....