Definitive Technology vs Klipsch

Kyler Cavers

Arthurs--you've got a great system--very nice, someday I hope to mimic it. QUESTION why did you go with the KRELL standard over say, PROCEED AVP, LEXICON, or Merridian??--I'm just curious.... I've appreciated all of your posts, and I agree whole-heartedly with the things you've said.

minn--I'm not here to make enemies, and I've never said anything about how great my speakers are, nor have I ever said that yours weren't. if you can't take what I say with a grain of salt, thats your issue--not mine. look at what I actually wrote, and you'll see that I wasn't Raving about anything--I was simply saying that its not fair to dismiss something for someone else simply because YOU don't personally like it. Open your mind a bit. there are quite a lot of speakers and equipment out there, and they all sell to various people. does that mean that everyone that doesn't have what you have is wrong?? if you believe that, you have problems that are beyond this site.

thanks RF. I went Krell based on sound and ability to drive the B&W's. I also have a friend who reps Krell and made me a deal I couldn't walk away from on the pieces. I'm pretty pleased with the system right now, but you know how this hobby goes, satisfaction is a temporary thing....11.gif

----------------

On 2/13/2004 2:31:13 PM arthurs wrote:

thanks griff, I meant it's sitting boxed up in the closet, when I was running it the rack it was in had plenty of air on all sides, the discs just came out really hot after play...

----------------

D'OH! 14.gif

That's definitely a big problem. Get it serviced, post haste!

Hey Arthur.nicholtl is right about your player.

I was interested in the Denon 3800 at one time because of the reported excellent picture quality. So I gathered up some stuff from AVS. Nicohlti is right about the dates. Here are 17 pages(Yikes!) of info. Special Denon DVD-3800 Thread

It looks like they think that the units built after Sept 2002 MIGHT be O.K. Theres a guy who mentions on the last page (17) of this thread that he got a good one built in December 2002.

You can also go to the top right hand side of the first page and insert the word -hot- where it says search this thread" for more details on the overheating problems.

To check build date on the Denon 3800

Check serial number on back of unit.

YMMxxxxxxx i.e. Y = is last digit of year, MM is month.

For example:

204xxxxxxx is build date 2002, April.

208xxxxxxx is build date 2002, August

To check for firmware on Denon 3800

For 1 & 2 below use front panel controls (not remote)

1. Power unit off

2. while pressing together "play" and "open/close", press power

3. In the display, you will see the play and pause symbols

4. Now using remote, press "menu". With each press of this button, you'll scroll through the different versions of the unit. First, is the "DRV" (not part of firmware update), 2nd is "ESS" and 3rd is "panel". For the 3800 firmware update - ESS=6134, panel=6093-2

5, using the front panel, power the unit off to return to normal operation.

Well I sure stirred things up a bit. I have never heard Def Techs before and im sure they are fine. I just want to say that I am proud to own speakers that in my opinion are "high end." You know when I remember back last year to before I got my speakers, it was hell, whether it be listeing to music or watching movies I am always 100% satisfied with my speakers and I think they were the best investment I have ever made. Im not calling Def Tech down or trying to be conceited about Klipsch here, I just don't want to deal with my friends calling down my speakers and praising my pals. He's paying $10,000 + tax(cdn) for his BP7000's and I paid $1100(cdn)straight up for my RF-3ll's. So of course they should be better for an extra 9 grand!!! Thanks for all ur guys' opinions and facts, it was much appreciated. One thing I'd like to add is that my speakers maybe are considered one of the "worser" of the Klipsch line but like all who have heard them and from my own experience; they always seem to make w/e ur listening to, to come alive with a certain richness and clearity. I dunno how to describe, it's just nice and I'm glad I decided to NOT buy sony speakers....lol

harman/kardon AVR 125

Pioneer DV-363-K

Energy e:XL 25's (surrounds)

Klipsch RF-3ll's

Acoustic Research optical and component video cables

Kyle--very cool--well said.

Like I said I got such an incredible deal on my speakers that it was impossible to pass up, and if I hadn't gotten this price the DEF TECHS would not be in my home--Klipsh would be.

BP7000s are 10k?????? jessus....for that you could get B&W 802s.....man....he's kinda foolish---he should have shopped around a bit.

his loss!

oh...you poor man....SONY.....wow....I'd start a collection for you if that was the case...SOMEONE GET THIS GUY SOME SPEAKERS STAT!!!

I'm glad you're happy with what you've purchased!

Bugs and Def Tech.jpg

Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Get em while there hot!

What am I bid for these five thousand dollar

I mean seven thousand dollar. Ooops! I meant

TEN thousand dollar pair of Def Tech Speakers.

Come on, come on everyone. Dont be shy now.

There are plenty of prices where these came from.

Did I hear 30,000 dollars ?

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD CANADIAN!

Gosh darnit - I ought to be old enough to stay away from this but here goes.

I have listened to the Def Tech 7000 (several times). It is darn hard to get an apples to apples since the electronics matching is pretty important for them, dynaudio,Klipsch heritage, Klipsch reference, etc. The reason I am chiming in is because some stuff said here about speakers just doesn't jive with what my brain told me I was hearing.

First of all - The Def Techs were very much like a properly set up Dynaudio and B&W. The imaging was extraordinary and impressive. There is a mid woof sound that is hard to get from lesser speakers. The sound is 'big' - full and seemingly all around you.

As to Dynamic - they most certainly are not and I could not imagine what could be done to make them so. It is just not their strength and is part of what you give up to get their strengths. All speaker design is a compromise.

So, what do I see as differences - as a horndog, I'll go ga-ga over Klipsch clarity and dynamics (ex: the nuances of individual instruments is much more obvious with Klipsch than the Def Tech). The Def TEchs offer a very pleasing, room filling big sound and don't make you spend a lifetime trying to find where the speakers fit best in your room.

An interesting point - the Klipsch reference (regardless of the number of times we say differently here) will probably be more tolerant of a wider range of electronics - The Def Tech seemed to sound better with a much more limited group of higher powered amps.

However I am biased - I spent a bunch of time finding out how much I like a good horn based mid- high freq. My ear continually picks first good horns and second good three ways.

RFinco,

Yes Definitive Won NUMEROUS AWARDS,like the Grand Prix award(what a joke,is this formula 1?)and countless hype A holic awards from drunk reviewers who said...

"These speakers sound AMAZING" "best speakers I ever heard" "sound so real I felt like Tyson was beating the crap outta me"

"bass so deep and muddy it felt like mud" "buy these now!" "best speakers PERIOD"

These reviewers never heard Dynaudio,JM Lab,Wilson or Avalon.Or they do not value transparency.finesse and ultimate detail and control.

Their subs being named SUPER and PRO they have to be super duper deaf technology.

And this hoopla...

"With the new SuperCube Reference Definitive sets new performance standards for subwoofers period!" yeah right they forgot about SVS big time.The Super Cube "reference" get slaughtered by a SVS PB2-Plus and lets not even throw in a PB2-Ultra or B4-plus.Their claims are hilarious.

Definitive products are not bad,but they must hire the same guys who do B0$e adds,as both companies have irritating adds only good for drunkards and teenagers.

----------------

On 2/15/2004 7:43:05 PM TheEAR wrote:

RFinco,

Yes Definitive Won NUMEROUS AWARDS,like the Grand Prix award(what a joke,is this formula 1?)and countless hype A holic awards from drunk reviewers who said...

"These speakers sound AMAZING" "best speakers I ever heard" "sound so real I felt like Tyson was beating the crap outta me"

"bass so deep and muddy it felt like mud" "buy these now!" "best speakers PERIOD"

These reviewers never heard Dynaudio,JM Lab,Wilson or Avalon.Or they do not value transparency.finesse and ultimate detail and control.

Their subs being named SUPER and PRO they have to be super duper deaf technology.

And this hoopla...

"With the new SuperCube Reference Definitive sets new performance standards for subwoofers period!" yeah right they forgot about SVS big time.The Super Cube "reference" get slaughtered by a SVS PB2-Plus and lets not even throw in a PB2-Ultra or B4-plus.Their claims are hilarious.

Actually, I agree about your comments to a point---yes, their marketing campaign is quite extensive, and yes--they do sound, at times like they are selling snake oil of some sort, BUT!! for their price they are a very nice speaker, and they rival some very nice audio pieces that are double to triple the price---you say "WILSON" well...jeez, very little compaires to WILSON, but do you mention that Wilson speakers cost 3-25 times as much? they should sound fantastic--they weigh 700 lbs, and are the size of a crumpled teenager. and, at least DEF TECH includes the crossover, which for Wilson costs what, a mere 2000 to 5000 dollars more? wow...bargin.

Dynaudio--I've heard em, and honestly I think they make good car speakers and they should leave it at that. sorry. I think they are over priced--even in car audio--you're better off with FOCAL or MB QUART

These reviewers HAVE heard DEF TECH speakers, on refrence grade equipment (Krell, Lexicon, etc etc)--I know, because the same guy that reviewed the BP2000s for HOME THEATER also was the reviewer for M & K, and the DREAM WILSON AUDIO system (MAXX I believe...)

you can't fault the speakers because the writers that describe them failed their creative writing courses, and yes--the reviewers at times say some very stupid things to describe speakers.

As far as their subs are concerned--I'm not that impressed---BUT!!! I'm not that impressed by many of the subs in that price range anyway (SVS subs are really impressive though--and I had just heard one very recently--and I want one now...)

hoopla--I love that word...haven't seen it in print in quite a while....

I agree that their Hype is kinda nuts--but, I think they are nice speakers, and many of the criticisms I've heard just don't seem accurate, and some of them ARE ACCURATE. there is a sacrifice, a trade off that sometimes have to be made, this I agree with. They aren't as warm as Klipsh, this is something that I miss a bit, but I primarily watch movies with mine and for that they are spectacular. I don't think movie sounds are accurate to how things should sound, I think they are somewhat larger than life, and the Def techs match this nicely. Would they be in a dedicated 2 channel room--no, I don't think their made for that to be honest with you, and if Def Tech says they are, well--they are just stepping out of their place.

as for their marketing--they aren't targeting audiophiles--this is true--they are targeting people that want to have a home theater that is also their living room--and for that set up I think DEF TECHS are a nice speaker.

Bose--the greatest trick ever pulled on people...oh..wait Bang & Olfsen..forgot about them...I've heard GE clock radios that sound better...

----------------

----------------

On 2/15/2004 2:25:11 PM nicholtl wrote:

RF - where did you get that piece of art above your TV? It's pretty dope. What does it mean?

----------------

yeah, that thing is pretty cool.

www.barewalls.com

the artist is CHECO DIEGO

I believe its called "Air, Sea, Land II"

it says: "Bien Venue"

they can do, at barewalls something called box-frameing with almost every piece they have. they basically take the poster/print and laminate it on a board--they then put a 1" box around the board. It looks incredibly professional--and is very distinctive. it looks like a contemporary museum piece.

I have a bunch of stuff done by them that way and it looks fantastic--much better that traditional framing. the drawback is that it is costly, often 2-3 times more to box frame than to just buy the poster. BUT I assure you it looks fantastic, and you'd have a very difficult time reproduceing their technique on your own.

I just looked--they don't have that one listed anymore on their site--but the cust. service people told me that they have another database full that they don't even list--they told me that if its out there--they can get it.

check them out--they've got the best selection on the web hands down.

Ryan

----------------

On 2/16/2004 8:42:26 AM minn_male42 wrote:

def tech's latest marketing strategy.....

go on audio boards and preach how good these speakers are.....

RFinco....... you are sounding more and more like a salesman......

----------------

Minn--you need to just let go. have you tried deep breathing exercises? I hear they help.

I'm a great salesperson, but I'm not one by trade, nor do I have any affiliation with Def Tech. I just think that there are all these valid opinions out there that say something other than what you have said or what you support. Does this mean that there is a "wrong" or a "right" here? No, it doesn't-It means there is difference of factual opinion. and if you think factual opinion doesn't exist, or this is something I've made up, then we never will see eye to eye or even "agree to disagree" for that matter. I'm guessing you're a "my way or the highway" kind of person, which is a shame because your refusual to see validity in the things you don't agree with is an incredibly limiting viewpoint, and will keep you from many great things and people in your lifetime. And if this viewpoint doesn't apply to you, and I've been hasty in my summation I do apologize for speaking out of turn, but, keep in mind--I only know what you have shown me thus far.

And now a polite reminder to READ. Thank you 1.gif

"Now in its fifth year, the Klipsch Forum has become a digital community center for consumers of all types -- fanatics, enthusiasts and novices alike -- to share information, discuss issues, connect with fellow owners and, yes, occasionally vent or criticize.

This bastion of free speech is unique in the industry and we have no intention of stifling the Forums progress. We are, however, concerned that the Klipsch Forum has become a marketing tool for our competitors. In fact, some competing manufacturers have gone so far as to list the Klipsch Forum as an option on their web site for how consumers heard about their products.

We know that we are not the only brand out there and we are not asking that Forum members avoid talking about competing brands. We simply want to make sure that the Forum is a good resource for consumers to exchange ideas without the unwanted influence of viral marketing campaigns.

The following changes will be made to the Forum and an addendum will be attached to the Forum User Agreement:

1. Banner ads and promotional links are prohibited, but non-commercial informational links will be allowed.

2. All manufacturer's representatives and competing brand personnel must identify themselves as an employee of said company in each post on the Forum.

3. Profile pages and signatures will no longer support banner ads or commercial promotion links and signatures will be condensed and/or rehoused for viewing simplicity (This was actually a request from users)."