Availability Problems

Skidmarks

I currently cannot find a Klipsch dealer within a 2 hour drive!

I have fallen in love with the reference series speaker, but cant seem to decide between the rf5 or the rf7 , which will be determined by the price . Its just hard finding a store by which to find these answers. The only stores carrying Klipsch are Best Buys and they only carry the synergy line.I need to stay within my $2,000 price range and that would include a center. Any advice , I would welcome it? Im under the impression Klipsch will not sell direct?

Help!

Where do you live exactly? Although 2 hours is not a short drive by any means, some guys on here have had it way worse. They've driven over 5 hours with nothing but a buddy and a van to get their khorns. I think there is a search option on this site that might help you locate an authorized dealer closest to you. You can also try going online, but that's always sketchy.

As for which speaker to get...well obviously the RF-7 is a better speaker, but if you're aiming for a pair of mains PLUS a center, and all for under $2000, I think the best you can squeeze are the RF-5's and an RC-7, and you'd still have to bargain to get it all in there. If it's at all possible for you to bite the bullet a little more and get the RF-7's, then not only will you not have to buy new speakers for a very, very long time (possibly never), but you can also live with the satisfaction that you've gone as high as it gets in the reference line.

But hey, both speakers look damn sexy from whatever way, light, or angle you look at them.

PS - interesting name, by the way.

Or.... buy a pair of rf7's now, and save up for the center when you can afford it. The Rf7's on there own can smoke almost any other speaker when it comes to dynamic range, even with modest power. Two or even three channel sound for movies is plenty for most folks, but adding the rear surrounds makes a nice addition as well. Welcome to the forum/nuthouse!

I recently purchased the RF5's with an RC35 Center for use on both 2 channel and HT. Still debating about the RC35 it seems to be a good match for the RF5's and is alot smaller than the RC7 - which looks intimidatin to place on top of my Mitsubishi HDTV.

The RF5's are a great speaker - I think very underated by many> Of course, the RF7 is outstanding - it is, after all, the flagship of the RF line. But the RF5 is equally oustanding - great imaging, soundstage, etc. - I find myself just listening to the music - not the equipment. The High end is very smooth and detailed, the midrange excellent and the low end quite nice.

For you budget, you find these a great choice and these too can be a lifetime choice.

I used Cornwalls for 15 years and find the new RF's to be a respectable replacement - sound GREAT with my McIntosh C22 pre and MC240 power amp - also can really shake things up when used woth my Sony STR-DE1075 for home theater use. Great dynamics, etc!

I found local Chicago dealers willing to offer incentives and picked all my new RF speakers up for 1400.00.

Good luck with your search.

I am a strong believer of build up slowely. Get the best you can or you will always belike what if I had gotten the 7's instead of the 5's :-) But the 5's are insanely nice speakers too.

I got my RF-7s RC-7 and RS-7s for $2850. So if you shop around for a deal you can get good prices. I also had to drive about 5 hours away to get my speakers. The place near me wanted retail which was almost $4000. I drove 5 hours to save a grand :-)

It is worth the drive. If you know you want klipsch it is worth the drive, testing and demoing is the biggest issue with having a close dealer, in my opinion.

Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Now that Sound Advice no longer carries Klipsch I'm in the same boat you are. Luckily I got my Reference speakers just before there was a parting of the ways. My local Reference dealer now is an installer. If they don't discount I may not be able to move up to the proposed Premier series. With their ongoing lawsuit I guess Klipsch doesn't want people buying their better products at big discounts.

I've often wondered why Klipsch pulled out of Sound Advice without having another retailer in line to handle their reference series. I live in east central Florida and the closest authorized dealers are two custom h.t. installers whom both told me they had nothing other than the in-walls to display. I can see driving a distance to acquire khorns or one of the other holy grail heritage speakers, but for what is a current and should be readily available reference line speaker, not me. Maybe Klipsch should be more concerned with finding a new system of dealers rather than filing suit against unauthorized online deaalers. For some of us, online purchases are the only practical way to purchase klipsch.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 11:29:04 PM sdfan wrote:

I've often wondered why Klipsch pulled out of Sound Advice without having another retailer in line to handle their reference series. I live in east central Florida and the closest authorized dealers are two custom h.t. installers whom both told me they had nothing other than the in-walls to display. I can see driving a distance to acquire khorns or one of the other holy grail heritage speakers, but for what is a current and should be readily available reference line speaker, not me. Maybe Klipsch should be more concerned with finding a new system of dealers rather than filing suit against unauthorized online deaalers. For some of us, online purchases are the only practical way to purchase klipsch.

----------------

I concur. I went to my friend's home yesterday and there's a couple with no kids. The home is just nothing less than fabulous for 2people and 1 dog( 4 living rooms and the bathroom was like hotel 12.gif whole house are filled with oil painted picture). When I got into the room for stereo(really just another living room for stereo and several sofas.......... gee it's just some crappy speakers. He said he'd be willing to pay for great speakers but there's nothing available around(and I peeked that the stands are also great stuff, more than a hundred for that pair I'd say). I don't believe they will save a little bucks on those and pay 10grands to house tax every year . Get more ref line dealers in Long Island 11.gif rip their money they are richhhhhh(I'm not)11.gif

Thanks for the welcome, I respect Klipsch for thier atempt to keep their product in capable hands and serviceable dealers and the such, but it almost seems like a price thing? Both "authorized dealers in my area, want $1500. for 2 RF5s That to me seems like they are the ones that should have been sued! I have found a company through a friend of mine out of state, who will ship them to me for a grand total of $1099 RF5s and $1509 RF7s?

I say Screw the authorized dealers for that price!

----------------

On 2/15/2004 8:22:05 AM Skidmarks wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, I respect Klipsch for thier atempt to keep their product in capable hands and serviceable dealers and the such, but it almost seems like a price thing? Both "authorized dealers in my area, want $1500. for 2 RF5s That to me seems like they are the ones that should have been sued! I have found a company through a friend of mine out of state, who will ship them to me for a grand total of $1099 RF5s and $1509 RF7s?

I say Screw the authorized dealers for that price!

----------------

They do give lots of supports for their speakers. For example you can take them home and try the speakers, getting disconut for negotiation(as usual, lots of big shops do like this to attract old customer), free upgrade and paying the prices' difference(which I really really love this, but crap there's no authorized dealer that I can reach), and the rep sales are better knowledge than any other as I've heard(they do give good opinion instead of asking u to buy expensive stuff). I wish I have one around and I don't mind to pay a the price by comparing to second hand on ebay or some online dealers.

I HIGHLY recommend going with the RF-7s, over the RF-5s. The differences between the 3 reference series lines have been thoroughly debated on this forum many times and I have heard each speaker on the same setup. The general conclusion of myself and many of the forum members was that the RF5s & RF3s were nearly identically sounding due to the same tweeter design. The major difference was the availability of Cherry and maple veneers on the RF5s. Most people just couldn't justify the price difference, unless there was significant WAF involved. HOWEVER, the RF7s are clearly in a different league from the RF5s & RF3s. The RF7s tweeter is significantly different, which results in a much smoother and more natural sound, IMHO. A lot of the users here have started with the RF3s and upgraded straight to RF7s due to the appreciable sound differences.

As for your $2000 price limit, this might limit you to only getting the RF7s without the RC-7. HOWEVER, IF your speakers are setup correctly, you could easily not even notice the lack of a center speaker. I have spent quite a bit of time setting up my speakers and one evening I was watching a DVDs my pre/pro slipped into Stereo and I didn't even notice it till 1/2 the way through the movie when I looked over to check the volume level.

Take a drive..and be sure you have some of your favorite DVDs or CDs and take a listen!!!

-Dave

PS: IF I remember correctly, some of the major dealers got their licenses pulled due to them selling Klipsch speakers to the grey market dealers. I don't know if this included Sound Advisors & Tweeter, but it could explain alot....