Stereophile, Klipsch, and JGH

KeesGuy

Got the new March Stereophile in the mail today. Why is that significant? Well usually it's not. But, this month in the letters section, a reader goes on about the recent ongoing spat between Art Dudley and J. Gordon Holt. The reader states that he loves the "big old fully horn-loaded Klipsch speakers". He also states that he recognizes that there are a lot of fairly large colorations going on but some of the things they do right are things that no other speaker he's heard does right. They make him smile when he plays music on them and he has fun listening to them. He's had Thiel, B&W, Martin-Logan etc. but found himself listening to music less and less and said he always ended up selling them and returning to Klipsch.

JGH goes on to say he agrees with him completely. Explaining basically it's the honest middle range of those speakers that makes them appealing and that's the range the rest of the music is built on.

John Atkinson states in "As we see it" that he's intrigued by the exchange between those two and is trying to arrange a full Klipschorn review from Art Dudley for a future issue.

Just thought I'd clue you guys in on the drama!!

2.gif

-Jim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full klipschorn review in 2004 ? WOW !! that i'd like to see.

Those twinkle toes would likly use some run of the mill sucked out digital amp for there review and totaly ruin any potential the k-horn ever had.

Then again maybe there reference system employs a couple 300b's.

Have to wait and see i guess.

Art Dudley is a HUGE tube proponent along with SET and horns. He is pretty open minded about most things audio and ran Listener Magazine before it went under (a far more useful rag than Stereophile). Of course, he has slid a bit via Stereophile but if ANYONE in that mag were to do a Khorn review, it would be him. Another possible would be Robert Deutsch who manages to fumble and break everything he reviews but has handled a few things that most would question such as the Sakura Labs stuff along with the Wavelength 45. I hope Dudley does get them as Deutsch would probably put them in the corner upsidedown...

What exactly is the spat between JGH and Dudley??? Your post doesnt make it clear. After over 24 years with Stereophile, I finally let me subscription slide even though it was down to $11. I found the content virtually meaningless at this time.

kh

I had it for over 24 years and after awhile, it became a Bday gift from the girlfriend... What can you say? Heh... It was more out of habit than anything. IT still was useful for new gear intros and the one out of 10 review or interview that was meaningful. IT started its long slide when JA arrived and finally hit rock bottom the last few years. Dudley was a welcome surprise and glimmer of hope but has been a disappointment so far.

Thanks for the loving comment. btw, if it came free, I would glance at it still as info is info but even at $11, it's overpriced. I feel bad that Sound Practices is no more as I would probably take that today. Then again, the NET makes this stuff seem like the usefulness of an army in the land of the terrorist.

kh

***What exactly is the spat between JGH and Dudley???***

I guess the exchange started in September based on an article of Art's in the June issue. I renewed my subscription when my boy's school was selling magazines this past Fall, (after a lapse of a few years), and I missed the actual beginning. But from what I've been able to gather it involves the absolute definition of "fidelity" and audiophiles preferring their systems to live music, etc...

I also noticed the Paul Klipsch ad on page 59. It was placed by Rutledge books which I believe published Paul's biography. Still, it was more of a rememberance than an ad and was classy IMHO.

Would be nice to see a nice K-horn review in 2004. Unfortuately, people would flock to their dealers to find no K-horns in sight. It would be a nice wake-up call though wouldn't it?

-Jim.

My cynical outlook is that in order for Stereophoole to do a full review of the Klipschorn would require that Klipsch advertise HEAVILY in that mag. That would also ensure a favorable review...2.gif

But after IGNORING the Heritage line for so long and then suddenly dredging it back up with a review of any note would SMELL FISHY; revealing the long and shallow tradition of how advertising dollars influence reviews and also that actual performance really has NOTHING to do with the published review. Sort of "Oh, yeah, these have been around for years, but we forgot about them - they sound great, check them out". Now THAT'S some current and informed reviewing going on there!

The only possible "save" of a favorable Khorn review (which I doubt) would be to aim it exclusively at the tube crowd. But then, they would just be preaching to the choir...

The unfortunate side of this is that there is an entire generation of young audiophiles that haven't even heard of a Klipschorn let alone ever listened to a pair. I don't evision that changing a whole lot until a new publication (with new reviewers) comes out that can discard the old ways and start fresh.

DM2.gif

I think that the newer Klipschorns are due for a new review. The new voicing and crossovers will have addressed many of the old phobias about Khorns and if the reviewer uses a clean valve amp he is in for a treat. Not all the issues "piles" have with Khorns have been meet like "proper phasing" but those clowns wouldn't know proper phasing if it bit them on the a$$. When listening to live music what is the phasing you are hearing? The electric guitar has magnetic pickups a half inch from the strings then a cord to a tube amp to a speaker to a mike to the house speakers Meanwhile, the piano's mike is half a wavelenght away from the strings miked directly to the house amp as is the drummer and the bass. The sax player is another half wave length away from his mike. Then the echos from the stage, the ceiling the walls and the bald guy in front of you come in at different times. PWK was right it's BULL SH!T!!!

I've never heard another speaker that can put me in the third row of a Greatful Dead concert when they toured with the wall of sound and probably never will hear one either. Of course my review is biased!2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 2/17/2004 6:22:01 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Art Dudley is a HUGE tube proponent along with SET and horns. He is pretty open minded about most things audio and ran Listener Magazine before it went under (a far more useful rag than Stereophile). Of course, he has slid a bit via Stereophile but if ANYONE in that mag were to do a Khorn review, it would be him.

Kelly : you and i probably know " how " a review works , some guys don't .

For those who are less informed , this is how it works most of the time .

1) you need something to compare what your reviewing to

2) the magazine usually builds ( with the help of sponser ) a reference system of " THERE " choice . Stuff they like

3) This is the system they make comparisions against.

a) like it lacks bass

B) highs are to high

c) mid range sucks

All of this has to be compared against something else in order to review it.

When a product come out on the short end of the stick, most don't know that it was being campared to a 100k or better reference system.

What these guys do is get use to the sound of one system then take parts of it out and replace with the item being reviewed , then say how it sounds compared to what they started with.

I put " NO " salt into another persons review. I review my own components in my own system in my own room.

Never will i purchase a product without test driving it first .

Not a klipschorn or a IC !!! if your going to look me in the eye and sell me a product you better make sure your not full of sh!t or i'll drop the bloody thing in your lap a week later.

You guys should all do the same thing.

"HEY " loadedtunes !! It's your coin , if you want to stand on the counter and p!ss it down the sink then go right ahead.

Believe you me , there are a lot of " lemons " in the audio world.

For every lemon there's a snake oil salesman with a headfull of brillcream waiting to take your money to pay off his booky.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:43:08 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:15:31 AM BackBurner wrote:

For every lemon there's a snake oil salesman with a headfull of brillcream waiting to take your money to pay off his booky.
----------------

That's a hilarious analogy!

----------------

Ya it would make a great signature eh ? lol

Go ahead it's all yours dude 2.gif

Think i've had a bit to much wine tonight, better head off to bed before my real personality surfaces .11.gif