Floyd Quality Sound

AnalOg

Listened to Pink Floyd, The Wall on lp last night how enjoyable, as usual. Is it me or is all of Floyds material recorded and mixed really well. I find that I enyoy listening to them on either format LP & CD over and above all other bands of the past, with maybe the exeption of old Genesis material, i.e. The Lamb Lies down on Broadway era.

Tom

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:21:01 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

What do you think about the newly released SACD of Pink Floyd: Dark side of the moon? Ive heard it gets great reviews.

----------------

The new release I have in vinyl only, it is a breath of fresh air over the original mix, but somehow I keep getting drawn back to the original, nostalgia I guess.

Tom

Well, I have just the opposite opinion about the Floyd's recordings. I've found them to be some of the worst recordings I've come across (the late 90's over-compressed crap comes close). In fact, I'll go so far as to say that most of the rock recordings that came out of the and 70's were pretty darn lousy. Its sad really since most of my favorite progressive bands (Gentle Giant, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, etc) put out some outstanding albums during that time. I think that because these bands worked and re-worked the somewhat complex tracks, they did a lot of re-recording and overdubbing on the same master. The result was a lot of noise which some engineers would try to filter out by lopping off the higher frequencies. The result was bland and somewhat lifeless tracks.

I have several copies of Pink Floyd DSOTM including (the original Harvest, MFSL, and new 30th ann. issue), WYWH (CBS half-speed) and Genesis LLDOB (Atco/Chrys, Japanese, Classic reissue, etc) and others but I've been dissppointed each time when compared to those crystal clear recordings that came out of the 50's and early 60's. Of course, it doesn't stop me from spinning these records as they are some of my favorites but as far as recording quality, I'd have to rank them pretty low and I will often just pop in the CD and just enjoy the music for what it is. JMHO.

Have fun -Bryan

Guest Anonymous

I hear ya loud and clear, I just recived King Crimson in the court of the crimson king, remastered import, 24.99, I put it in the sony xa777es and could not believe the crap I was listening too, I just buried it and am ashamed that I can not even return or exchange it...some recording just plain SUCK15.gif On the other hand the Dark Side Of The Moon is excellent on my 2-channel, and multi3.gif

Wasn't Floyd on the Andy Griffith Show?

Wish You Were Here seemed to be well recorded, but I've never heard it en toto on a good system. Yes was generally well recorded, Genesis and the Moody Blues were lower on the food chain. A lot of the early British Invasion groups were horrendously recorded and mixed, like using tin cans in a bathroom. The Searchers pop in mind as paticularly sodded up.

You really can't beat a well recorded jazz trio or quartet for showing off the dog, when you listen. Well recorded, spatially correct, virtuouso performers, and instruments that fit together well, rather than muddy or trample one another's voices. "So What?" and "take Five" are stellar examples of showstoppers with Klipsch speakers.

i'm usually in awe as i heard pink floyd, be it either The Wall or DSoTM. it was mixed incredibly well for the time i think. most bands nowadays can't come close to the production of something done over 25 years ago. even with digital mixing, and they didnt have that 20 years ago! recording wise, it is an art itself IMO. either way who doesnt enjoy listening to the album.

wanna heard crappy recording, listen to Tool-Aenima. great album that is cursed by its production.

You Floyd fans should REALLY seek out the DSOTM dvd that was released several months back. Alan Parsons sitting behing the mixing desk soloing different instruments and vocalists is just awesome. He shows you different songs with and without effects such as Us and Them without the delay on the lead vocal and all sorts of other goodies. He is the reason Dark Side sounds so good.

I remember 2 oft-used demo LPs from the 70's...

The "Dark Side of the Moon" was considered relatively state of the art in the 1970's. It was used in alot stores to demo stereo gear. IMO it does not even come close to what I now consider a good recording today, even remastered - but the music still rocks anyway. Why is it that virtually ALL recorded BASS in the 1970's has that nasty, flat "seventies" sound? Even remastering can't seem to get rid of it.

But I would guess that Chick Corea/Stanley Clarke "Return to Forever" LP to be the late 1970's preferred demo recording when selling stereo gear. At least in Seattle back then...

DM2.gif

Some skill required for their level of experimentation with recording literally thousands of sounds and incorporating them into some very lyrical works (without computers). Add ambient effects, fading in and out, loops, dream intermissions, slide guitar.. the technical work in the studio shows in their recordings, something of a lost art these days. Have been to many concerts, the sound quality at their indoor concert at the Chapel Hill Smith Center in 1987 was probably the best I've heard. Some Pink Floyd trivia..

----------------

On 2/18/2004 7:50:14 PM Piranha wrote:

Tom, for what it's worth, I think DSOTM is awesome! LP or CD. Doesn't matter to me.

BTW, I am curious about the Rogue line of amp and preamps. I see you have one of their pre's. Have you heard one of their amps on Klipsch Heritage speakers?

Thanks,

----------------

I have never heard there amps, but the pre squeezes out info very nicely, good balance through the whole audio spectrum.

Tom