• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/19/2004 4:15:35 PM iwillwalk wrote:

what brand would you recomend?

----------------

If you are looking for something relatively inexpensive just to surf the web or such, but still sufficient power to play most currrent games, then Dell is probably going to be your best bet.

If you are looking for some serious iron for playing the latest, cutting-edge, state-of-the-art games, then perhaps something like Alienware or NorthWest Falcon.

If all you are looking for is most basic, cheapest, thing going, then perhaps e-Machines.

If you are skillful enough, then the build-your-own route is one of the bests.

If you are referring to Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq... I would say they are all going to be relativly close. If it were me? I'd most likely go Dell. They seem to have the best bang for the buck these days.

If your referring to an Intel based or Mac based... Of course I'm going to suggest Intel based pc.2.gif

----------------

If you are referring to Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq... I would say they are all going to be relativly close. If it were me? I'd most likely go Dell. They seem to have the best bang for the buck these days.

----------------

Alienware(what I have) more expensive definately but very solid proucts, best speed and performance. You will probably never have any issues with an alienware. Alienware has its ups... but for the general user its probably not what you want.

Dell, has very good computers with solid speeds. Generally very little problems.

Gateway, tends to give you more extras, very good speakers, very good monitors, basically just very good Peripherals. So you generally pay a little extra.... Also there are Generally very little problems.

HP, I have had good computers and bad, they can be solid or not

Compaq = bad, very very bad, stay away. Might be different now that HP owns them, but I have had and heard NOTHING but horror storys its not worth it.

My first hobby is PCs so I know a bunch. I am also computer science major at Virginia Tech.

Also if your looking for just a cheapo computer I think dell has a "special" if you want me to look it up its like a PC for $300. No monitor im sure... but still thats cheap!

If you have any other questiosn, just ask, like I said I know a lot about PCs and I can help with anything.

Only a couple months ago I was debating between the Alienware Aurora FX64 and the dual 2ghz Mac G5. (Falcon Northwest is friggin tight too, just didn't look as cool as the Aurora). I ended up getting the G5, but both computers are the best of their kind. I am assuming, however, that you're looking into PC's as 97% of the population uses them.

As Skonopa pointed out, building your own machine truly is the best way to go...provided you have the tools and the know-how, or have a friend that does.

And I concur with the Compaq comment. I have a compaq presario laptop I used for college, and it sucks major richard.

And Sony Vaio's, while good machines, are hella overpriced.

"Alienware..more expensive definately but very solid proucts"

Company bought 4 of the high-end (top of the line, all the bells and whistles) alienware laptops. None of them made it back from a tradeshow alive. Yup, 3 heat failures, one bad motherboard. Had them a total of 8 days. Maybe we got a bad batch, but we will never use them again. On a side note, Im not the biggest Dell fan, but we also took 6 Dell middle of the road, 2 year old laptops (Inspirons) to the same area. No failures. The Alienwares were, I believe, in the $4000 dollar each range. I've been using some Macs recently, and unless you're a hardcore gamer, its tough to go wrong with a nice G4 powerbook, or a G5 tower.

If you haven't thought of this than build it yourself. If I can do than anyone can. It is quite the experience. It's actually easier than you might think. Just get a big case so it's easier to get your hands in and make sure you use a grounding strap. It was one of the most fun things I have put together. The self gratification you get is way cool too. When my ex-girlfriend and daughter saw all the parts on the table they said I'd never get it going. Fooled them though. It's not like brain surgery and is actually quite fun.

hoggy

I have to say avoid alienware at all costs, I had a very bad run in with them and I have read plenty of negative testimonials about their customer service. I built my last computer, and I suggest you do the same. there are alot of online resources on the topic and it doesn't take more than an hour to do.

Alienware isnt too bad, they're built pretty well, but they are wayyy over priced for whats really in it.

I've heard many negatives about all the big brands as well... I'd say steer clear of them. If you do go with one though, absolutley, positively stay away from gateway. I had a terrible experience with them, and it seemed like I knew at least twice as much as their tech supports.

Just do some research and build your own... its really not as complicated as it looks. Theres plenty of how to sights out there that are very easy to understand. It can save you hundreds, if not thousands.

If u want a desktop, assemble one by yourself, the current desktop i used upgrade like 20times+ and like 5+ computer I have already, I don't know how much would it cost if I buy the whole set every time 9.gif (I think I upgraded my computer more than 150times since K6-2-400). If u need template for assemble one I also can help you(just PM me if u want) and u can bring the template to some shops and ask them to get them and assemble them for you. Still better than brand name desktop in my mind(I really really hate their mobo and limitation on everything even u can't switch OS)

For the laptop..... I like Toshiba or IBM. I own a Toshiba tablet too 9.gif . The portege series is just amazing(look at the R100, it's thinner than my screen lol).

I can imagine Alienwares laptops having problems... actually

I haven't used one but, they cram way to much into a small machine.

Their desktops are the opposite they give you more fans than normal. The case is bigger than normal(harder to heat up a larger area). The airflow is incredible(air flows in and out of the case very well). Because they tie all the coords down and push them out of the way. My computer runs incredibly cool, cause alienware slapped 6 fans in my Case :-)

But, again I can see alienwares laptops having major issues. Alienware is the first PC I got where I was just absolutely amazed at its stability. Normally I can run any machine into the ground :-)

Even one I made myself :-(

Everyone is correct though if your a hands on type of person. You can build it yourself, its not complicated.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 10:01:24 PM Juba310 wrote:

Just do some research and build your own... its really not as complicated as it looks. Theres plenty of how to sights out there that are very easy to understand. It can save you hundreds, if not thousands.

----------------

Actually, building a computer now-a-days is a lot easier than it was in the past. The things practically configure themselves now.

In the past, you had to set jumpers for everything!. You had to set jumpers on the motherboard to the correct voltage, clockspeed and multiplier for the processor you were using, less you fried something. Of course, those days, it was also easier to overclock things. You also had to set jumpers on the individual cards to the correct IRQ, DMA, Address-range, and so forth. Soundcards and modems where always the worst two pieces of equipment to configure, followed very closely by SCSI host adapters and components (still a constant fight at work because we make very heavy use of SCSI components there - I even written low-level software to write a custom file system on JAZ disc and MO discs). I remember spending the better part of an evening just to get a friend's modem to work correctly! Nothing like an IRQ or DMA conflict to get the day going 14.gif

With the advent of 'Plug-n-Play', or as I usually like to call it - 'Plug-n-Pray' (plug it in and pray it works!), building a machine is so much easier. I remember very recently putting together one of my friends computer. We spend all day putting all the components in (it was a complete, scratch built machine with numerous components (multiple HD's, CD Burner and CD Reader, sound card, video card, RAM, etc). The only jumper that needed to be set was on the drives to designate them master and slave. I've yet to get to play with the new SATA drives, but I hear you don't even need to set any jumpers on those - they automatically detect which is master and which is slave. The amazing thing was that the damn thing worked the first time I powered it up. Within the next 1/2 hour, we had Windows XPloit installed and running. Another 1/2 hour and got all the drivers for the componets that Windows did not recognized installed and working. Usually I have to spend another hour trying to track down a problem, such as those much dreaded IRQ conflicts.

The most difficult part now-a-days is shopping for the components. There are so many good choices out there at so many different prices. Everything from dirt cheap junk that can be had for a few bucks, to the most expensive, deluxe, on-the-bleeding-edge-of-technology component that can cost several hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Take video cards for example. You can get a really cheap basic job for like $10 at most computer shows. Yeah, it'll display a picture on the monitor, but don't expect any real performance from it. At the other end, you can get the most cutting edge, blazing fast, 3D accelerated gaming graphics card for $500. Professionial grade graphics (i.e., CAD, 3D-Rendering, etc) goes for even more.

For the really adventures, there is also all kinds of wild 'mods', that you could get. Strobe lights, case windows, fancy decals/paint schemes. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination! Hell, somebody friggan mounted a complete, working computer in a Star Wars Millennium Falcon toy!

If building your own (I had no problems my first time but I've always been a tinkerer (and electronics in college didnt hurt)), go to Newegg.com. Excellent service, selection, and prices. I've bought 2 previous dells before that, but now that I've built my own, there is no going back!

I would go with Dell, check out http://www.gotapex.com they always have some sweet deals on Dell's. About 3 weeks ago I picked up a Dell 2400, 256MB RAM, 2.3 P4 Processor, Dual Drives DVD and CD-R, 40GB HD and 17" Monitor for $349 shipped and after rebates and taxes! Not the best computer, but for the price I am yet to see a better deal. I will be adding a better graphics card, a Tuner PCI Card, and a nice 250GB HD as well. Check out the site, they are alway having crazy deals!!

----------------

On 2/19/2004 7:18:21 PM nicholtl wrote:

Only a couple months ago I was debating between the Alienware Aurora FX64 and the dual 2ghz Mac G5. (Falcon Northwest is friggin tight too, just didn't look as cool as the Aurora). I ended up getting the G5...

----------------

Nope, you're the second. 3.gif

----------------

On 2/19/2004 7:18:21 PM nicholtl wrote:

As Skonopa pointed out, building your own machine truly is the best way to go...provided you have the tools and the know-how, or have a friend that does.

----------------

I didn't know you had to have special tools when I built my computer I just used a plain old screwdriver out of my garage. Forgot to buy a anti-static wristband when I was buying the parts so I just didn't use one. I am now ordering the parts to build my dad a computer. He told me he wanted one for about $500 including monitor and everything, it is going to be used for games so it has been kind of difficult finding the parts for that cheap.