Allan Songers SA-100 on the scope

NOSValves

Ok, so upon re-reading how I've been describing this stuff, it's clear that my DC explanations of square waves isn't having the effect I hoped it would.

The exact frequency makeup of a square wave is the fundamental plus all of its odd harmonics. The reason the lower frequency waves is being distorted with AC coupling is that at least some of this fundamental is being reduced by the high pass filter effects of the coupling capacitor. The whole reason I went into DC was that I can visualize what happens better by thinking of a square wave like two DC sources, one positive, one negative, with a switch between them that's flipping between the two. When you think of it this way, the DC bit makes sense, at least to me. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some interesting reading the following quote was taken from:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_7/2.html

"It has been found that any repeating, non-sinusoidal waveform can be equated to a combination of DC voltage, sine waves, and/or cosine waves (sine waves with a 90 degree phase shift) at various amplitudes and frequencies. This is true no matter how strange or convoluted the waveform in question may be. So long as it repeats itself regularly over time, it is reducible to this series of sinusoidal waves. In particular, it has been found that square waves are mathematically equivalent to the sum of a sine wave at that same frequency, plus an infinite series of odd-multiple frequency sine waves at diminishing amplitude:"

I hope that that confuses the situation somewhat.

Craig no one has said that your amps don't sound wonderful here. Shawn was trying to be helpful at the outset of this thread, that's all. I read the manual for my scope and it states that the only difference between AC and DC coupling is the addition of a capacitor into the AC input. Since all capacitors have both reactive and resistive (ESR) elements inherent within them you are cheating yourself when you use the AC input on your scope. A hertz never hurts in an amp.1.gif1.gif

Rick

----------------

On 2/26/2004 2:12:38 PM Guy Landau wrote:

And I was expenting you to rat once again, than to comment.

Life is so full of surprises.

OTOH,

You probably done that too.

----------------

I'm happy enough that you are revealing yourself for who you are. Plenty of people know that your goal is to shut the board down again.

"When the cap fully charges you will no longer see DC through the cap."

Note: As another example of this this is also why if you take a discharged cap and connect it to an ohm meter at first you will show very little DC resistance (meaning DC can flow) but as the meter slowly charges the cap the resistance is going to go up and up to become an open circuit.

Shawn

What you can do with tricks out of the circuit have nothing to do with the Caps purpose in a amplifier and how it reacts IN A AMPLIFIER !!! A good cap blocks all DC and when the amp is in its operating state warmed up as you would run the amp or test it THEY ARE CHARGE ALL THE TIME !! All this mumbo jumbo is useless ! Were talking about Amplifiers here not what tricks can be done with a cap out of circuit on a test bench.

Craig

----------------

On 2/26/2004 1:36:30 PM gerbache wrote:

The cap isn't exactly letting DC pass, and the term "DC component" is probably what is causing the confusion here. You're right that a square wave centered at 0 does not have a DC component, in that the average value of the signal is indeed 0 volts. During each half-cycle, though, where the signal is flat, that part of the wave does in fact look like a DC value, albeit only for a short period of time (equal to 1/2 the period of the wave, which in the case of a 20Hz signal is 1/40th of a second). If this period is long enough, the capacitor will cause the signal to be high pass filtered, which will result in the slanting shape we've seen on an AC coupled scope.

When I say it has a DC component, I'm probably throwing you off a bit. When looking at the signal as a whole, you're right that there is no DC component, but during the period of time when it is staying at a constant value (which is half of each period in a square wave), it looks to a capacitor like a DC signal.----------------

Well isn't the signal as a hole what matters ??

----------------

On 2/26/2004 2:47:47 PM paulparrot wrote:

No, you're here to cause trouble, that's all.

It's sad that you, who gets all of his money given to him, despise people who work for a living. I guess it's self-hatred, actually, and you're just laying the hatred on other people because they are examples of decent human beings and thus threatening to you.
----------------

How exactly do you know what I do for living? I've earned every fr%$^&n single dime that I've made and never got any free meals. (but I don't need to report that to you).

I can't call the ones that you reffer to as decent human beings, since they tend to take advantage of other people's, lack of knowledge, in order to make a living. I'll continue to do my best to try and avoid that of happening.

Paulparrot, you are the biggest troll on this entire forum (and the only one that posts with frequency). And your posts are downright slanderous. I see you as an extremely bitter person as you show little curiosity and even less willingness to see outside your A-Frame. I read Guy's posts and yours look cutting and crass in comparison. Actually, you seem to be the unhappy one (I will never forget your humorless, droll, bitter expression as you opened up your new speakers). After viewing that shot, I told myself never to respond to your rancor and baiting. But reading these latest offerings, really showed what you are made of.

If anyone should be removed from the forum, it's you. You have posted more negative comments than any combined with very little positive influence, if you dont count the dog picture threads. Add in your alteregos such as FLKlipscher, and you have a monopoly on the bitter-end of the picture, both figuratively and literally.

kh