My new 1976 LaScalas

Piranha

Well as some of you now know I drove up to No Cal and bought a pair of 76 LaScalas yesterday. The bass bins, the inside of the squawker horn, and the rear where the crossover & drivers live are super dusty. Any suggestions on what to clean them with are appreciated. They are LS-BR that have been oiled at some point. With what I do not know.

That brings me to another question. Can I apply bolied linseed oil to these after light sanding even if I don't know what was originally used on them?

After I clean them up in the garage I'll post pics. Maybe I should do a before and after? Hmm....???

Thanks a lot!

Tom,

I'd use a vacuum cleaner and a damp cloth. A vacuum with a dusting brush with long bristles will work on the crossovers.

If they were oiled before they can be oiled again. I'd go easy with any sandpaper, 320 or 400 grit and only along the grain, not across. You might want to acquire a sanding block.

Tom

Congrats on the La Scalas, anxious to see some pics. I've been frustrated lately trying to find a pair within reasonable driving distance. Your road trip was quite impressive! I went to a local dealer this afternoon inquiring about ordering a new pair.6.gif Let's just say that I will keep looking for used for a bit longer.15.gif Oh, btw, I saw you eyeing those Belles now...hehe.

Guest Anonymous

I TT Piranhaman earlier, he hooked em up with the corn's on top. Sat his bros down, put on dire straits, and BLEW HIM AWAY2.gif6.gif3.gif Said his bro NEVER heard nothing like it...The great guy that he is told me he's gonna give his little bros a pair of heresy for a gift...Here come another klipschead, heh heh heh11.gif His bros thought that both the La scala and the corns were playing....NOT10.gif Piranhaman is one COOL dude10.gif CONGRATS

northern_cal11.jpg

Part of my trip to get the 76 LaScalas. I was on my way to look at them in this pic.

Yes, I now own a pair of 1976 LaScalas to go with the rest of my Klipsch Heritage.

I drove up to Northern California on Wednesday/Thursday and bought them. 9.gif

My newest kids arrived back safely at their new home 600 miles away late last night. It took me 14 hours to get up to Lake Tahoe on Wednesday night in near white out conditions. 6.5 hours to go 45 miles across the I-50 from Pollock Pines into South Lake Tahoe. The weather conditions were absolutey horrible. Coming home wasn't much better. This picture was taken on Thursday AM. The snow had stopped briefly. The conditions were much worse the night before. After coming out of the Sierra and down around the 2500 foot level the downpour began for 8 straight hours. It only let up as I came back into LA County descending the Grapevine. It is sure nice to be home!

1300 miles in 36 hours is an awful lot of driving.

post-13700-13819253123288_thumb.jpg

Hey Piranha, after tomorrow, I will no longer own Lascalas.8.gif I will however be moving the walnut cornerhorns and the Belle in to fill the void.3.gif I will also be picking up a pair of walnut Cornwalls for rear surrounds next week. I will leave it to the new owner of my Lascalas to give a report after he gets them home tomorrow afternoon. I can't give a report on the Khorns until I get 2/3rds of one false corner built. The room is 20x15 and they are going on the 20' wall. They are calling for 60s here tomorrow, sure hope it don't snow. 2.gif

----------------

On 2/27/2004 11:14:16 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Nice pictures. In February, 1981, I rode in the back of an old Mercedes from Mammoth Mtn. to Mission Viejo. The view along the bottom of the Sierras on a moonlit night still stands in my memory. ----------------

Yes, I agree the view of the Sierra is abolutely breathtaking during the day, or on a moonlit night. Unfortunately the night driving for us was slow, stressful, and very dangerous. We were at a dead stop for almost two hours at Twin Bridges, CA on I-50 waiting for Cal Trans to blow an avalanche with mortar rounds and clear it off the road. I must tell you, it is a pretty eary feeling waiting in the pitch dark, with a near white out, snow blowing everywhere, hearing numerous huge explosions, and feeling the car, err van shaking like crazy from the concussions.

But, I'd do it again tomorrow.2.gif