Scott 299B piercing?

Dylanl

Craig---I was unaware you were monitoring my behavior, do you have me on tape? It doesn't take one very long to decide they dislike an amplifier you know. Nor was I aware that to dislike your product can only be motivated by a desire to be provocative.

You need to take criticism of your products impersonally, it's business. Like ole Harry Truman said......

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just rechecked my bias. It seems to have changed. I do not know how but was reading .3 instead of .275 I set it for. I adjusted back to .25. Would this have a bearing on the sound? I pulled back to .2 and things sound calmer now. When I received the amp it was reading .1 on my meter?. Craig I left you a message on your cell. Will continue testing

Brett,

Do you have a good 1mF cap lying around? If you do attach it accross the two 2 mF caps in you AA networks. This simple mod cleans up the highs and most all of the interference between the tweeter and the squaker. If you don't PM me with your address and I'll send you a pair gratis. Craig, have you tried this yet?

AAbridged4.jpg

Photo by Al K

Rick

post-12829-13819253141542_thumb.jpg

That's just a band-aid, but I agree that's the direction he needs to be going in if he wants to keep and enjoy his Klipschorns. I think the problem with sibilances says it all.

As far as the Scotts go, they are what they are -- very nice units to get the feet wet with. They probably aren't the best choice for the throttle hungry type.

----------------

On 2/29/2004 5:08:31 PM DeanG wrote:

That's just a band-aid, but I agree that's the direction he needs to be going in if he wants to keep and enjoy his Klipschorns. I think the problem with sibilances says it all.

As far as the Scotts go, they are what they are -- very nice units to get the feet wet with. They probably aren't the best choice for the throttle hungry type.
----------------

No integrated amp is !

----------------

On 2/29/2004 3:19:35 PM TBrennan wrote:

Craig---I was unaware you were monitoring my behavior, do you have me on tape? It doesn't take one very long to decide they dislike an amplifier you know. Nor was I aware that to dislike your product can only be motivated by a desire to be provocative.

You need to take criticism of your products impersonally, it's business. Like ole Harry Truman said......----------------

whether you like my products or services or not is really not of any consequence I really do not believe you would ever buy them anyway. Heck as far as that goes you don't really think all that much of Klipsch speaker either. I just think your comments about a event that you didn't even attend to be over the top and completely opposite of what I was told and others ! I noticed you didn't bother to respond to my questions. I also feel your description of the 272 to be ridicules and overly harsh but that is nothing knew for you. I hate to tell you this but you tend to be over the top and harsh with your statements to many people here about many thing look at poor Dale Walker for instance. I personally dreaded the thought of even meeting you in Chicago and much to my surprise you were a very pleasant person when not behind a keyboard. I guess this is not really all that uncommon though I bet many people feel the same about me.

Craig

----------------

On 2/29/2004 5:08:31 PM DeanG wrote:

----------------

Dean the bridge cap is much more than a band aid. here is part of Al K's conversation with Bennesesso over in Italy:

:Bene,

The reson you hear better highs from the A than the original AA is because the AA tweeter filter is not a proper design. As it happens, the bridging cap compensates somewhat for the design error reducing the loss. This give you what converting to the A gave you plus the notch sharpens the filter skirt. This is like making a 3rd order filter into about a 9th (guess, I didn't calculate it) filter. The adea isn't to remove one specific frequency. it's to sharpen the skirt if the filter. This removes more completely and quickly energy that is out of the tweeters range. The out of band frequencys are to go to the squawker and only cause problems if they reach the tweeter. Who needs two drivers playing the same thing at the same time? This, in my opinion, is the problem with the A network filter. It's also why I am advocating extreme-slope crossover networks now. The bridging cap makes the AA filter closer to an extreme-slope filter then it was.

Al K"

In oter words closer to your AK series network. However, you have the cat's meow.3.gif

Rick

Edit: in case you haven't already read this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=41802

Craig---What's to respond to? This is about preference not fact. I stated my opinion and that's that, it's not argueable. I have strong opinions, after over 30 years in a hobby that can happen but it's only toys, nothing to get personal about. Politics, now that's important, that I'll get personal about. :-)

I love Klipsch speakers, I don't think there's a speaker it's size that can match the Heresy, that's why I use them.

If Dylan listed the source I just missed it.

Possible options for dissatisfaction:

-Source is inferior ( as I said before)

-trying to play too loud

In the past I used to try to play my SS amplification to get more detail and less distortion.

After trying 7 different digital sources in the past 4 years and 3 in the past 6 months; I finally have found a combination that has the greatest detail and depth of soundstage.

K Horns and excellent amplification will greatly magnify the deficiencies in source component and software.

The resultant sound will be hard edged and jittery.

Not saying the amp is working properly; but good audio decisions and diagnostics take time, not solved in a thread.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/29/2004 5:52:34 PM TBrennan wrote:

I love Klipsch speakers, I don't think there's a speaker it's size that can match the Heresy, that's why I use them.

----------------

Tommy, at least you love the heresy's I sold you3.gif Please email info on the panasonic you mention, and the other newwave amps...thanks11.gif

----------------

On 2/29/2004 5:52:34 PM TBrennan wrote:

Craig---What's to respond to? This is about preference not fact. I stated my opinion and that's that, it's not argueable. I have strong opinions, after over 30 years in a hobby that can happen but it's only toys, nothing to get personal about. Politics, now that's important, that I'll get personal about. :-)

----------------

Tom, wait a minute here, the Bose 901 is about the same size as a Heresy or even smaller??? lol 2.gif

----------------

On 2/29/2004 2:32:12 PM Dylanl wrote:

Craig, I am going to box it up and send it back for you to look at. Why I am so upset is not because of the Scott amp. I am worried that if the Scott is fine maybe I just do not prefer the Khorns. Klipschorns speakers have always been at the top of my list and to get there and turn them off shakes my audio foundation. This is the reason for my concern. I want to feel like so many on this forum feel "audio bliss" as their horns honk away. If I can tone either the amp or the tweeter down a bit I will be in love. It seems like the "S" & "T" in songs with words are the worst. Example: U2's "Sweetest Thing" unbearable. Anyone that has Klipschorns and this song please try it and let me know your thoughts. I hope I will find an answer without spending a small fortune. So glad I have this forums shoulders to cry on. Thanks, All.

14.gif

----------------

Dylanl, don't give up on the KHorns. I've been where your at and if I hadn't heard how great they can sound I might would have given up on them a few times. They are like any high resolution speaker and they will benefit from carefull equipment matching and setup and if possible room treatment. Definitly check the amp out especially if it has a hum. Also like others have said make sure they are {sealed} in the corners properly because this will definitly affect your perception of the vocals. I'm assuming yours are all orginal also and you can't change the balance of the squaker as with ALK crossovers. Alot of edginess thats blamed on speakers/componets can actually be caused by bad reflections from the room and especially the side wall reflections. I don't know your room conditions or your freedom to make room adjustments but generally if you can do anything to diffuse or redirect these early reflections it can go along way to cleaning up the sound of vocals,horns,piano and harmonica on my blues CD's is also a good test for this if all these are recorded good! If it does turn out to be room conditions and your very limited to room adjustments/treatments then matching componets is about your only option and you must pick what sounds best to you with the music you like to listen to.To bad alot of the music we like isn't recorded well and is often very colored.I've had my {79}Khorns in three different rooms since I bought them in 1990 and I've had them sound edgy in every room till I found the right setup for them in each room but when you get it right the vocals are wonderful. So take your time and don't despair and don't throw money at componets and things out of desperation.

1.gif mikeb

Mike, I have been out of town on business since my last post. Sorry. I have also had a few days to calm down. Thanks for the good advice ( I have not given up yet ). I have sent my amp off to Craig from NOS and am waiting for his response. I think he will find the answer I needed. Carig is willing to help me any way he can ( Thanks Craig ). Mike, What were you able to do to your room to help mellow out the sound?

I know these Horns should & will sound great I may just need to keep tweeking.