Need your opinions, La Scala refinishing

greg928gts

I'm planning the restoration, re-veneering and refinishing of 3 pairs of La Scalas. I plan to completely strip, sand, repair, and resquare the edges on all of them at the same time to prepare them for the veneer.

Do you think I should install the same type of veneer on all three pairs, install a different type of veneer for each pair, or wait until someone is interested in buying them and let them choose their own type of veneer?

The latter would be a little difficult if selling these on ebay.

Greg

Made to order would be cool, but you'd need mock-ups to give the buyers a good idea of what they'd be getting. Too hard to visualize what it would look like covering a speaker if you just show them only a sample piece of veneer.

I'd apply three different veneers.

Do you remove the components first? The bass bin would seem to be difficult to seal off from all the dust otherwise.

How do you veneer inside the bass bin? That seems like a real PITA!

And to think I am dreading the mere thought of sanding inside mine. You're doing a whole lot more.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I would remove all the components, including the woofer, so I can clean everything out throughly. I would probably end up replacing the bottoms on all of them, they get pretty chewed up.

What I plan to do with the bass bins, is paint the inside black and then build grills for them that angle in from the sides to the center "V", sort of like the Belle. So the only place inside the mouth of the bass bin that will get veneer is the "V" and the upper and lower exposed areas. Not only will this look great, but it solves the problem of not being able to get into the bass bin to refinish it.

I plan to make removable grills for the upper horn, so instead of pieces of velcro showing when you remove the grill, it will be finished veneer. If you're like me, sometimes you like to see the horns when you're listening to music, with nothing between you and the horns.

I've got a lot of ideas about what veneer to use, but how about some suggestions of what you think would look good on La Scalas.

Greg

Cut-throat, that would be quite a trip! It would take two days to do the project, so if you plan it for a weekend, I'll make the time. I've got a nice shop to work in and an extra bedroom at the house! I'm 13 hours drive from Pittsburgh, PA, so add whatever it would take for you to get there to figure driving time. That's a lot of driving.

For regular speaker cloth, Speaker Works.

For the nice cane type cloth for your Belles,

Wendell Fabrics.

Greg,

Wow! - What a generous offer!

I started thinking about this and it would probably be a 25 hour drive from Minneapolis. I'd have to be crazy (we all are9.gif ). It would be better ifyou found a pair of Belles in Plywood cabinets and did them up in Rosewood (Those Khorns you did were sure pretty! ) and I just bought them from you. Keep me in mind!

Thanks Again,

I, too, wonder what a pair of Rosewood La Scalas would look like. When the red came through on that stain you did, I was tottaly blown away and really impressed by your work! Might even make the La Scalas more sought after, and get the WAF too, if they looked extreemly expensive in that fine finish!

Wonder what a Cornwall I would cost to do the same treatment? I have one pair, in birch raw, a scratch here or there, (No gouges...But moved back n forth to college a lot) would look like with your magic Rosewood treatment? They are the straight edge fronts...so I would probably leave off the grills feeling the rosewood look would be incredible.. At worst maybe install a metal grate grill over to woofer to make it "child proof" if I found it neccessary.

Cut-throat, If I run across a pair of Belles that need help, I'll let you know. I wonder what shipping would cost both ways? If you did drive out here, I'd put you to work and you could save some money that way!

Indy, please look at the latest photos, the Khorns aren't nearly as red.

Rosewood Klipschorns.

I agree, those photos where they look red are terrific, but it's all an illusion, they don't really look that red. I am working on getting that look for real though from sapele and a stain, just haven't figured it out yet. I bet it would look terrific on the La Scalas. The cost to veneer a pair of standard Cornwalls would be about $850 plus shipping. Finishing off the fronts would be an extra $300. Kind of pricey huh? Less $$ if you're here doing part of the work! Cornwalls can be sent UPS if packed properly.

Greg