• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/3/2004 10:50:34 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 3/3/2004 10:27:05 AM sheltie dave wrote:

I don't know what kind of speakers Kerry kicks the snot out of, so I'm not sure who I will vote for yet
4.gif

----------------

Maybe if he's elected, it'll be

----------------

I am ashamed to admit that it took me a bit to get this - in the middle of a conversation here at work the light came on and I laughed out loud. Damn difficult to explain the laughter during a serious budget presentation....

Karl Rove is Satan.

------------------------------------------------

FEEL THE LOVE!!!

Note to those who object to politics in this forum thread: Fundamentaly, you are right. However, and more importantly, you see what the thread is about, you can ignore it. We do not stick to strictly audio here, and that in itself has lead to friendships developing that would not develop otherwise. Although the political threads command much attention, there are not really so many here that audio is overshadowed, and as long as that does not happen, I think it's OK. I like to get as complete a picture of a person as possible, and the political angle can prove to be very interesting. There are some here with whom I have exchanged opposing view points and found them to be quite challenging...I like the challenge from thoughtful opponents whom I can challenge as well (hopefully), particularly when it comes to what I believe politically. If you do not allow your beliefs to be challenged, you should ask yourself why. Are you unsure? Afraid of change? Not willing to admit you were wrong about something? Maybe just uncomfortable because reason is trying to replace feelings? We can all respect reason. Feelings can induce more feelings, similar or reversed. Let's stick with reason, then if we need, agree to disagree. There may be more here like Max who have a curiosity about how we think and survive as a nation. Although I tend to disagree with Max on some issues, I enjoy his questioning and his quest for truth. If Max is curious about these things, why not bring them up on a forum he is familiar with already? I would not have the time to join a political forum and would probably burn out on it after a while. I find it a refreshing change once in a while here.

Personally, I am a conservative first, and a Republican only because they get closer to my views than the Dems...though the Liberatarians also appeal to me. I do like to see an exchange of substantiated ideas. The battle IS over those in the middle, and they who are in the middle probably thirst for facts most.

Thanks Andy - I think.

Truth be told I tend to bring up the more mystifying aspects of the US here because it is one of the main resources I have of a bunch of Americans who can give my their view on the news coming from the New World. I take a deal of comfort from the fact that your opinions on issues are as divided as Europeans.

HornEd - great to hear from you again. I thought we had lost you from the forum for ever - if you ever get your butt over to Greece I expect you to let me know and I will pour liberal amounts of Ouzo and Tsipouro down you whilst we exchange ideas on all things audio and other.

Paul - sadly it looks like you were a little pre-emptive in your celebrations over Iraq - that state, as I feared, is far from seeing the last of Terrorism and the pot could still boil over into the civil war everyone fears. Lets hope it settles without further bloodshed.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 4:35:14 AM maxg wrote:

Paul - sadly it looks like you were a little pre-emptive in your celebrations over Iraq - that state, as I feared, is far from seeing the last of Terrorism and the pot could still boil over into the civil war everyone fears. Lets hope it settles without further bloodshed.----------------

Max,

I didn't say it was over and there is of course going to be lots more bloodshed. But there's still plenty to celebrate and signing a constitution is a huge thing. And this line from the news: "In Baghdad yesterday, Sunni preachers joined Shia clerics in a march of thousands, trying to keep sectarian passions in check." The different groups in Iraq know what is at stake and they know that Al Qaeda is behind the terrorism. As more and more power is given over to the Iraqis, it will become more and more obvious that the US is not the enemy and that Saddam's leftovers and Al Qaeda are killing Iraqis. Do you think Al Qaeda made any inroads yesterday in the hearts and minds of the people by killing 200 Iraqis?

Of course the media always feels obliged to emphasize the negative and find someone who blames the US for everything bad in the world. What else is new?

Ah, yes, Max, it's good to see your almost smiling face... did you shoot that avatar whilst your tone arm was dragging?

Seriously, Max, I have not forgotten your offer should I drop in again on Athens. At sixty-five, my life has been made complete by a beautiful 38 year-old Swiss born fiancé. It looks like we will be heading for a honeymoon in Tahiti this May (if I can stand that much Klipsch withdrawal 8.gif )! Since I am not up to modifying my Klipsch-laced motorhome with pontoons... does anybody out there know of a "Klipschified" accommodation in Tahiti?

It looks like, thanks to Kassandra, I will be revisiting a lot of my old favorites around the world... so keep those Greek delights at the ready... this old geopolitical free-spirit may be heading your way later this year... or perhaps next. I am rebuilding a 230 acre retreat in a somewhat remote area of the Santa Cruz Mountains of Northern California and that has all of my attention that Kassandra hasn't captured. Love is a good base from which to view politics... at least for my blood pressure.

Hope this finds you and your growing family in fine fettle! -HornEd

----------------

On 3/4/2004 9:01:36 AM paulparrot wrote:

Of course the media always feels obliged to emphasize the negative and find someone who blames the US for everything bad in the world. What else is new?

----------------

Hello Paul - no real argument here except the above sentiment is not that simple. I got to visit, when he was home, with my nephew who is in Iraq for the second time (he was a member of our household for 4 years - kind of like my own). Our conversations while he is there are much more reserved, but here goes -

The American Forces are not trusted by many Iraqis and are blamed for most bad things that happen. The children seem less bothered and willing to accept kindness, but a large part of the adults view the Americans with a combination of disdain and distrust (my paraphrasing here).

I had stated a while back something that may be close to the truth here. It is probably very hard for the Iraqis to easily know the difference between the ousted regime and the conquering regime. It will take quite some time to be able to discern the differences as both regimes seem intent on forceful enforcement of law while the opportunistic locals are again taking control. It is quite easy to fall to your religion and congregation to become one voice and for once feel like you are being heard. The unfortunate fact of freedom as played out by Americans - a federalistic, representative government - is that it is not as easy as one would expect. The quite difficult task of tolerance for other's freedom is a bit of a new idea that has little history in their traditional judicial systems.

Sorry - longer response than I meant....

"Ah, yes, Max, it's good to see your almost smiling face... did you shoot that avatar whilst your tone arm was dragging?"

Actually that is me blowing out the candles on my 37th birthday cake - I just cut it out of the picture (digtially) and have used it ever since.

Good to hear about your new love interest. Its the rock on which we build our lives - may yours be a long and happy one together. My wife and I just passed 20 years together - I cant imagine, or even remember being without her.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 9:25:46 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Did you see the Shrub's new ads? Shamelessly using images of

9-11 to kick off his reelection campaign. I almost puked.

----------------

Actually, the images are tasteful, respectful, and moving. But they fit in well with the most vocal elements of your side who claim that the President knew about 9/11 before it happened and let it happen so that he could get re-elected. Conspiracy guys can use these ads as further evidence. LOL!

Of course Democrats are going to go ape over the ads because the entire nation realizes that Democrats are soft on defense. Why do you think they picked a guy who mentions every single time he talks that he served in Vietnam? "Excuse me Senator Kerry, how do you like your sandwich?" "Well, when I served in the battlefields of Vietnam, I liked a sandwich on wheat. Now that I am no longer carrying out heroic feats in Vietnam, I prefer white bread."

Kerry's continual harping on Vietnam is to try to counter the accurate image Americans have that Democrats are the wrong choice for security. The Dems' goal is to keep 9/11 out of people's minds.

The President's ads are also in marked contrast to your side's celebrated internet ads of Bush = Hitler.

On 3/4/2004 10:09:42 AM paulparrot wrote:

Excuse me Senator Kerry, how do you like your sandwich?" "Well, when I served in the battlefields of Vietnam, I liked a sandwich on wheat. Now that I am no longer carrying out heroic feats in Vietnam, I prefer white bread."

----------------

LMAO!

Not getting involved. Just think that was funny as he11.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 10:09:42 AM paulparrot wrote:

---------

Actually, the images are tasteful, respectful, and moving. But they fit in well with the most vocal elements of your side who claim that the President knew about 9/11 before it happened and let it happen so that he could get re-elected. Conspiracy guys can use these ads as further evidence. LOL!

Of course Democrats are going to go ape over the ads because the entire nation realizes that Democrats are soft on defense. Why do you think they picked a guy who mentions every single time he talks that he served in Vietnam? "Excuse me Senator Kerry, how do you like your sandwich?" "Well, when I served in the battlefields of Vietnam, I liked a sandwich on wheat. Now that I am no longer carrying out heroic feats in Vietnam, I prefer white bread."

Kerry's continual harping on Vietnam is to try to counter the accurate image Americans have that Democrats are the wrong choice for security. The Dems' goal is to keep 9/11 out of people's minds.

The President's ads are also in marked contrast to your side's celebrated internet ads of Bush = Hitler.

----------------

Bush's Grandfather Prescott Bush and Hitler have a chummy past, but to say W is Hitler is certainly unfair. I'm sure you also cringe when Rush says things like "Hitlery Clintoon" or "feminazis".

Actually, the Democrats want to fully investigate 9/11, but the Bushies stall and obfuscate at every opportunity. only 1 hour to question the president about what he knew and when? Hell, we got 'ole Bill under oath about a blowjob.

http://www.911timeline.net/ (warning... this is long and VERY involved, but telling indeed)

about Iraq? To paraphrase a recent Molly Ivin's article, two boys walk in the woods and see a hornet's nest, and one of them picks up a stick and says he wants to hit it. The other boy says NO! Don't do that.. but the first boy doesn't listen and hits the nest anyway. (a nest that was of no danger to him). Hornets everywhere, and now the first boy tells the second boy he has to help him deal with those Hornets.

(well, ok.. read it for yourself)

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=16525

Since Repubs are really keen on a person's past, it seems, and especially since they like quotes.. try this one on...

http://thomasmc.com/0211jt.htm

and, lastly, just because I feel like it, a photo mosaic that I happen to enjoy.

http://www.artofresistance.org/bush_mosaic/

(but be forewarned, ths is an admitted cheap shot!)

forrest

oh, btw, I would welcome any articles that you would pass my way that would convince me that we are headed in a good direction with this administration. I don't see it, though.

And although it is base, low, childish, and altogether in poor taste to post that mosaic's site, I did enjoy it.

Forrest

good directions ? ...

Ha Ha...

STOP War for Oil.

As italian I hope next time Bush go Home and Berlusconi go Home.

War is in their interest now as sell weapons was in their interest some hears ago.

you sould imagine...

if i was in iraq i do same thing iraq terrorist do at american and allied force. we call terrorist as hears ago we called terrorist garibaldi.

for sure was some other way to solve therorist problem than do iraq war.

bye

Forest,

Let's suppose that the GWB administration was briefed by the outgoing admin and CIA director tenant that there were suspicions of foriegn terrorists flying planes into the World Trade towers to finish the job they started in 1993?

If the Bush admin had then enacted parts of what is now the Patriot Act( origianlly proposed and introduced by the WJC admin after OK City) by executive order pushed through the PA, increased airport security to todays un-satisfactorally low levels, ordered the FBI< CIA and NSA to share all information that they possessed. Etc. If by the above actions, 9/11 had been prevented and the US citizinary did not percieve the risk of Al Quaida to our lives, what would be the hue and cry of the opposition?

If the last Election had gone the other way I don't think a Gore admin would have reacted any differently to the 9/11 attack. After the lack of response to the Kubai Towers, embassy bombings and the Cole (flight 800?) AQ did not anticipate the response it was met with. Gore would have in my opinion attacked AQ wherever it was and Iraq was a loose end that needed to be completed WMD or not.

Rick

I think the best way to stop the political arguing here is for all you left wing guys to just not comment, and then we people who support the President won't be going back and forth with you.

The people I don't understand at all are the undecideds. I know it's only around 3 or 4% of the general public, but I just can't imagine not being for one side or the other.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 8:00:15 PM paulparrot wrote:

I think the best way to stop the political arguing here is for all you left wing guys to just not comment, and then we people who support the President won't be going back and forth with you.

The people I don't understand at all are the undecideds. I know it's only around 3 or 4% of the general public, but I just can't imagine not being for one side or the other.

----------------

The way those polls are set up, the 3-4% are, in all likelihood, Libertarians. They don't offer 3rd-party options when they do these types of polls.