Second System: The new Rage - Sub $80 Digital

DON, I would not recommend the 3950/3960 as replacement DVD Player. The DVD portion is only a side benefit. As far as CD Player is concerned, as I have pointed out in one of my post, (IMO) the 3950 is an order of magnitude better then the 3960 in the audio quality department.

Just to clarify, I am not looking for a replacement DVD player. I am looking for my first DVD player, we currently have 2 movies on DVD that we got for Christmas, one is Shrek II, the other is either Cinderella or a Barbie one. My wife and I rent maybe 4 or 5 movies a year, though we get one from the library every other week for our daughter. Ultimate quality is not what I'm looking for in the DVD end of it, and since I have zip for surrounds or center, having 5.1 isn't high on the priority list either.

• 1 month later...

Due to the raves on the forum regarding the Toshiba SD-3950 for $49.00, I tried to buy one. A NexTag search produced no SD-3950, but the SD-3960 from Buydig.com (http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TBSD3960) for $49.00. I ordered the SD-3960, but today I received a Toshiba SD-5970; I was charged $49.00 and the receipt says SD-3960. At the Toshiba site (http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/singledisc.asp), they show the SD-3960; MSRP $69.99 and the SD-5970; MSRP $179.99, but theres no mention of the SD-3950.

Im listening to The SD-5970 through my mildly modified Dyna SCA-35 and Cornwalls; it sounds darn good for $49.00. Should I be disappointed that I ordered the SD-3960, but received the SD-5970 for the SD-3960 price? If not, Im tempted to order another SD-3960 and see what happens.

If anyone else buys, or bought, from Buydig.com, please share your experience. Delivery was prompt, and I got more than expected.

Neil

I was in the same boat as you...the 3950 is no longer made and was stopped in 2003 I believe (mine has August 2003 on the decal)...I was able to find one at a video outlet in Colorado and got it delivered for about $62 bux last month...I think it sounds better than the Yamaha CD player (from 1987) it replaced.

Bill

DON, What are you talking about? Of course this dvd player has surround capabilities. The 3960 is indeed an excellent second rig for cd's AND dvd's. It has a coaxial digital out instead of optical. It sounds to me like you forgot to change your input setting on your receiver to coaxial digital and therefore you weren't getting a signal.

Heck, for just over $50, you get a progressive scan dvd player that many people believe sounds great with just plain ol' audio cd's. SOme $200 players can't say that. THERE is your bargain!