Yamaha/Klipsch Another Round

yromj

I listened to my first "high end" Klipsch/Yamaha combo today. Previously I'd only heard the combos at BB. Therefore, it was the lower end Yammies w/ the Synergy in very poorly setup listening areas. I didn't really care for the sound all that much. Since I was a Quintet owner at the time, I assumed it was the receiver I didn't like. As a result I had not been looking at Yamahas too much in my search for a receiver.

Today I hear a Z1 paired w/ an Rx-5 system. It sounded really good. I didn't get a chance to listen very long, or at very high volumes. The jazz we listened to was very nice and detailed w/o being shrill.

I've been wanting to consider Yamaha to go w/ my Rx-25s and now feel comfortable that I can. If any owners of similar systems would give feedback I sure would appreciate it. Again, I didn't get a chance to do a full "review" and the receiver is above the pricepoint I'm looking at (I'm looking at the 1400 or 2400), but I definitely have interest in the combo now.

John

John, I have owned Yamaha products for as long as I can remember. I have had everything from the mid-level to the higher end units. I still have an old 55 watt pro-logic Yamaha hooked up to a pair of HeresyII's in the bedroom as well as the gear in my signature (Family Room). I think Yamaha brings out the truth in recordings. Some sound mediocre while others sound amazing. I have a very musical family who sing and play many different instruments (mostly classic rock) so I think I have a pretty good ear for how things should sound. I have had NO regrets with any Yamaha gear I own and love the sound. As far as the higher end units , this RX-V3000 is a FINE receiver. Sounds very smooth and crystal clear in my room to me. I don't find it "bright" ( assuming this means very high pitch causing fatigue?) at all as others sometimes claim Yamaha gear is. If you can, take the receiver home and hook it up to the rest of your gear and see if YOU like it. If not, take it back and try a different brand/model. Nothing to lose. It's YOUR ears you need to please... Take care

Mike (The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)

9.gif

I had the Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated Amp until recently, ran it with the Reference 7's. I was really happy with the combo - certainly more happy with separates, but really no complaints with the Yamaha.

I see a lot of people on this board say the Yamahas are too bright for the Klipsch and like the B&K and Denon's better. I found the Yamaha was fine, but I did need to turn the treble down a bit. Your ears are the best judge.

Good luck

you can go for a yamaha/klipsch HT.

even if my is a small one(i haven t got a lot of money to spend in my HT so i have to be reasonable) it sounds great for the money i spent.

if the cheapest yam receivers sounds good the expansive one should sound good too at least;-)

i have the rxv-1400 hooked up to a rsx-5/rcx-4/rsw-10 in our showroom. it sounds GREAT!

i also paired a rxv-2400 to a pair of heresys/rc-35 ctr/rs-35 surr./rw12. used the Y amaha P arametric A coustic O ptimiser which automatically sets speaker size/distance and bass management with an included mic you place in your listening position.

i setup Love_Hertz with his system.

Mikekid-

the rxv-3000 is an AWESOME receiver! classic rock! YEAH!! my favorite!

avman.

I'm one of those who whine about Yamaha with Klipsch. Maybe I should just whine about MY Yamaha and Klipsch combination. I've had the DSP-A1000 since "91". It was the top of the line I believe back then. I don't know if there was a Klipsch forum in those days, but if there was, I was unaware of it. I didn't read the stereo mags, I had no idea amplifiers could sound that different from each other. I just knew I loved the sound of my Yamaha and Forte's at low and moderate levels and soon tired of it at higher volumes. Just figured I was getting older and my tastes were changing. Then I stumbled onto the Klipsch Forum and learned about "bright" and "warm".

Yamaha makes a great product, I'm not arguing that point. But the Yamaha/Reference combination I HAVE doesn't work for me.

I read on the AVS forum, where someone who had the new Yamaha RX-Z9 claimed it's not nearly as bright as the older models. If I hadn't already made up my mind to go seperates this time, I would check it out.

This is just my $.02

----------------

On 3/3/2004 7:09:47 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Maybe I should just whine about MY Yamaha and Klipsch combination.

----------------

That's the conclusion that I came to in my experience with Denon. It was actually painfull to listen even at low levels.

I've spent the last year trying to find the warmth of my old Yammy.

Other people seem to love Denon's but I can't imagine living with that sound, so it must have been the unit that I had.

----------------

On 3/3/2004 10:22:54 PM Strabo wrote:

----------------

On 3/3/2004 7:09:47 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Maybe I should just whine about MY Yamaha and Klipsch combination.

----------------

That's the conclusion that I came to in my experience with Denon. It was actually painfull to listen even at low levels.

I've spent the last year trying to find the warmth of my old Yammy.

Other people seem to love Denon's but I can't imagine living with that sound, so it must have been the unit that I had.

----------------

It definetly must of been the model. Because my denon is actually lacking in the highs. On the verge of being to warm. But i like that sound with my sf-2's it has a very smooth sound because of it. I never heard another denon receiver. I beleive all models were not created equal. Like my harman sounds better than the one i heard at circuit city. Plus i think alot of companys switch countrys from time to time to produce more of them. And that i am sure affects the sound. I had an older jvc once that sounded great i buy the new fangled model and it wasn't the same. I would love to hear yamaha with klipsch's. I heard a yamaha with a pair of bose ( yeah i know) but it sounded good. It was a pair of those skinny little towers they use to make. It didn't crank for dodo but at low volumes it did sound good. Must of been the yamaha or the acoustics heck it was like a huge warehouse. Anything would of sounded good in there

----------------

On 3/3/2004 10:52:08 PM wheelman wrote:

I had an older jvc once that sounded great i buy the new fangled model and it wasn't the same. ----------------

Yeah, I have a JVC receiver from 1981 and it sounds pretty good with my Forte II's. Better than my Yamaha did.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 5:51:40 PM SteelerFan wrote:

----------------

I had an older jvc once that sounded great i buy the new fangled model and it wasn't the same. ----------------

I also had a mid 80's jvc,912bk I think but 9 something anyway.Way back then it came w/an excellent learning remote.It was 90watts per ch and souded greeeaat.When the DD age arrived I updated to a 1028 or something like that and it sucked.I decided at that time to leave jvc for my digital needs.

Thanks for all the great replies! I was out of town last night. (Went to Fayetteville to watch the Hogs give away a basketball game to 'Bama.)

I talked w/ an owner at the new store in my town and he says they're going to start stocking the higher end Yammies. (Right now they've got the HTR series only.) He said they may also start carrying Denon, but Denon's insisting that he stock the 5803. He's having a hard time justifying tying up that kind of money w/ a receiver in a town of ~35k people. Can't really blame him.

They can also get HK. I've got mixed emotions about HK. I've gotten the impression that they're in the same league as the HTR Yammies, or Sony (not nec. the ES), or other general mass market receivers. I'm looking for something a little "higher on the food chain" this time. Any thoughts on this.

John

----------------

On 3/4/2004 6:10:27 PM Fish wrote:

----------------

On 3/4/2004 5:51:40 PM SteelerFan wrote:

----------------

I also had a mid 80's jvc,912bk I think but 9 something anyway.Way back then it came w/an excellent learning remote.It was 90watts per ch and souded greeeaat.When the DD age arrived I updated to a 1028 or something like that and it sucked.I decided at that time to leave jvc for my digital needs.

----------------

Beleive it or not i had one of the first surround sound receivers made. It was a jvc it wasn't prologic. that didn't exist. Just dolby surround with your surround speakers. And that thing sounded great. Of course i had towers all the way around me to then. the neighbors couldn't stand me back in the cerwin vega days. Their not to keen of klipsch's either. But i don't live in town now big difference. Those old cerwins were awesome the new ones suck in my opinion. The cabs are way to thin and not deep enough. The old ones were monsters.

The receiver I'll be replacing is a JVC. I really like the sound and features of it, but it has the random "center channel dropout" issue. (The center channel w/ dropout during 5.1 playback.) It happens fairly rarely and will have to reproduced to be fixed and I don't want to be w/o the system for an extended period of time, so I've never messed w/ getting it fixed. (Also, it first did it about 45 days AFTER the warranty expired, so putting money into it is something else I don't want to do.)

John- Whose real reason for not getting it fixed is that it convinced the wife we need to upgrade. 11.gif

I myself am in the same boat, I am so close to driving to sound advice and picking up a Yammy 1400, but I believe the Z-1 will be dropping in price here very soon,because of the 9, maybe into my price range, so I will hold out at least another week. I really wanted to keep it under $1000.