FINALLY! GOT SURROUNDS

wheelman

----------------

Ed, you have a typo in your post that is ripping on Keith for having a typo in his post. "bit the good news"?

----------------

Every spelling flame contains a spelling error. It's one of the unwritten laws of the universe.

Ah shoot, I just wrote it down.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/10/2004 11:04:30 PM heretic wrote:

Every spelling flame contains a spelling error. It's one of the unwritten laws of the universe.

Ah shoot, I just wrote it down.

----------------

Yep, how correct you are.

I did not find this duel between HornEd and T2K too amusing. I belive only constructive criticism should be acceptible on the forum, especially as highly respected one as here. I did find this thread very insightful, but would want to read a little less personal duels, but rahter a shootout of opinions on the matter.

Apparently, the truth as usually happens does not lie in either camp. There are situations when dipole/bipole/quadropoles/whatever-poles would be preferred to monopoles, and vice versa. Instead of fighting i would rather see these seasoned and wise guys collaborate and come up with a checklist that would help future HT builders in designing their setup. This check list should take into account many aspects, like room size, seating location, movie/music ratio, etc etc etc... So that one could more or less clearly realize what kind of setup would work better in his/her particular case. I know, each person has different taste, house, budget, etc. But with all this diversity, there are perhaps some unwritten "rules" that experienced HT installers know and could share with us here.

----------------

On 3/10/2004 11:24:10 PM TauRus wrote:

I did not find this duel between HornEd and T2K too amusing.

----------------

Well... I find it amusing because of the mental image in my head it gives me. Not because I like seeing people dislike each other.2.gif

TauRus wrote: "Apparently, the truth as usually happens does not lie in either camp. There are situations when dipole/bipole/quadropoles/whatever-poles would be preferred to monopoles, and vice versa."

Apparently, TauRus, you have not read many of my posts over the years... for if you would have, you would have known that recommending WDST speakers to cure acoustic, space or taste limitations. I believe t2k deserves his SP-6 fixation and has the right to spray his own ears... and toot his horn tweeter about it. But, his "a$$holier than thou attitude" toward my research... research that has helped many on this Forum of a wide variety of persuasions... tends to undermine my high regard for this Forum.

I agree that there are many worthwhile audio insights in this thread... and I tried to provide some of them adjusted to the perceived needs of serious participants. But I fell into the big mouth bass trap of having my chain pulled in a way that limited socially redeeming value to the response.

In past years, HornEd posts have brought well reasoned calm to many a flaming thread. I have let one person's vitriol sour my good natured Forum fun and knowledge/opinion sharing. And that is not fair to the many Forum friends and Klipsch employees that have exchanged so much of value over nearly three years.

If I am to continue to post on this Forum, I must learn to ignore the routine "HornEd baiting" rhetoric that seems to be Keith's compulsion. I thought a little Forum humiliation might cause t2k to allow me to freely express my opinion on subjects not about him and for t2k to express his feelings about subjects other than me... but the comments of others on this thread show that didn't work either.

I shall endeavor to consider the source and ignore further vulgar posts by t2k about HornEd and "sour grapes" remarks about audio experiments that seek to share audio truth as I know it. There are a lot of good apples in this Klipsch barrel... and I thank those who have helped me avoid being another rotten one. -HornEd

----------------

On 3/11/2004 8:17:56 AM HornEd wrote:

TauRus wrote: "Apparently, the truth as usually happens does not lie in either camp. There are situations when dipole/bipole/quadropoles/whatever-poles would be preferred to monopoles, and vice versa."

... known that recommending WDST speakers to cure acoustic, space or taste limitations. ...

----------------

well then you agree with his statement

If you mean, ygmn, do I agree that WDST speakers should remain in the marketplace for special situations... yes, not only do I agree with it but I have dozens of posts over the past three years that explain why.

The part that I don't agree with is his suggestion that I am in a "camp" that would hold that there is only one monopole solution for all cases... that would be absurd.

Do I think that, given a reasonable acoustic environment, that monopole surrounds will far outperform WDST surrounds in seamless and faithful reproduction of modern DVD's and multi-channel music? You bet I do... and so do the legion of Forum folk who have happily altered their listening areas to take advantage of my experimentation.

In respect to an always rising to the occasion m00n and a host of others, I am getting out of the personal attack business on this Forum... although it does rankle me to have irresponsible drivel sanctimoniously tacked on to Forum questions... particularly newbies questions. -HornEd

PS: If you come by your TauRus astrologically, you might like to know that I am a Taurus with a Taurus ascending. I am sure that will prove that I am a whole lot of "bull" in certain quarters. 2.gif

O.K.

let me repeat:

----------------

On 3/9/2004 1:49:26 PM avman wrote:

----------------

it pains me to see two guys on the forum who i like go at it like this
15.gif
but who am i to play referee.

FWIW-T2K must put some 'magic' in his ksp-s6's because the ones i bought from him sound AWESOME in my HT room.

OTOH-HornEd has convinced me to 'HornEd-zontalise' a klf-20 into a center channel when i can get a good deal on one.

so both of y'all have been a help to me.

i just wish you wouldn't attack EACH OTHER so much. ideas/concepts/suggestions are open to debate and even attack or praise, but personal attacks make me sad
8.gif

avman.
1.gif

----------------

and mOOn-

I WOULD USE THE RC-7 AS YOUR CENTER CHENNEL(front)

sorry to yell, i thought you might have missed that2.gif

also, i would try the RS-7's for surround for your seating and compare if you can to the RB35/75/RF-7 option. a RC-7 for center rear sounds like a good choice.

avman.

As recently indicated on other threads, I am out of the "personal attack dog" mode. And, Avman, you know that I applaud the way you have used your KSP-S6's to create ambience with directionality by having the back side of the speakers hit the back wall as the front side hits the back of the heads of the audience.

Go and be 15.gif sad no more! -HornEd

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:37:10 PM avman wrote:

and mOOn-

sorry to yell, i thought you might have missed that
2.gif

avman.

----------------

Oh but dude... You relize how cool the tri towers of power look? 2.gif

Actually to be very honest with you, I like the sound of the RF7 center. it's a perfect tembre match and I have not lost any clarity at all. At least non that I can hear.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:11:51 PM HornEd wrote:

If you mean, ygmn, do I agree that WDST speakers should remain in the marketplace for special situations... yes, not only do I agree with it but I have dozens of posts over the past three years that explain why.

The part that I don't agree with is his suggestion that I am in a "camp" that would hold that there is only one monopole solution for all cases... that would be absurd.

Do I think that, given a reasonable acoustic environment, that monopole surrounds will far outperform WDST surrounds in seamless and faithful reproduction of modern DVD's and multi-channel music? You bet I do... and so do the legion of Forum folk who have happily altered their listening areas to take advantage of my experimentation.

In respect to an always rising to the occasion m00n and a host of others, I am getting out of the personal attack business on this Forum... although it does rankle me to have irresponsible drivel sanctimoniously tacked on to Forum questions... particularly newbies questions. -HornEd

PS: If you come by your TauRus astrologically, you might like to know that I am a Taurus with a Taurus ascending. I am sure that will prove that I am a whole lot of "bull" in certain quarters.
2.gif

----------------

More of your doublespeak ed. Please provide links to one dozen of your posts where you advocate the use of WDST speakers.

Absurd is correct ed. Check your signature and hundreds of your posts.

Lets see what you know of respect for others opinion ed. Lets start now. BTW, here is your first response in this thread. Note the signature.

"It's a sad day for wheelman in this neck of the woods. Filling your ears with reflected sounds that destroy timbre-matching is an extension of the THX disease that started by making "theater sound" mediocre in every seat and then convincing the public it was better sound. The only scam bigger than THX surrounds is the artificial wool Bose has pulled over the eyes of the public to become the world's largest selling speaker company.

Of course, if the acoustics of wheelman's listening area is so poor that it needs a WDST thrash metal band-aid... I suppose it's a good thing. But, as negative as this reply may seem, I am sending you love wheelman... and a sincere hope that you get well soon... and discover what you have now committed yourself to missing... the lightly varnished joy of monopole surrounds... correctly set up. -HornEd

PS: Paul W. Klipsch never bought into the dipole, bipole, tripole scene. In fact, the whole multi-polecat theme earned a malodorous yellow BS button!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HornEd Believes in the Horns of Klipsch, Timbre-matched Multichannel Monopoles, & "HORNizontalizED" Centers Free Your Home Theater from THX induced Ear Tyranny! Buy Monopole Surrounds & 121dB @ 20Hz Sub Arrays! "

Keith

Keith, I respect your right to have an opinion... and to go "trash picking" in the archives to prove whatever point you are trying to make to whom ever cares enough to read what you have to say. You are not sucking me into any more "games" by baiting me with rhetoric. You've been a bad boy and I'm just not going to play with you anymore. -HornEd

*WARNING*

Possible Matrix spoiler. Adding this warning cause Wheelman has never seen 2 or 3. He just called me on it. Sorry Wheel. If it makes you feel better, I lied, this is not the ending. 4.gif

Hmmm.. I'm beginning to wonder if T2K = HornEd... HornEd = T2K...

You know like in The Matrix where Agent Smith is acutually NEO's opposite. His negative... 9.gif

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:11:51 PM HornEd wrote:

Do I think that, given a reasonable acoustic environment, that monopole surrounds will far outperform WDST surrounds in seamless and faithful reproduction of modern DVD's and multi-channel music? You bet I do...

----------------

So how do you know when to use which type of surround speaker? I mean making suggestions to people without seeing or visiting their HT is well kinda hard to do I would think huh?

----------------

On 3/11/2004 3:33:03 PM m00n wrote:

Hmmm.. I'm beginning to wonder if T2K = HornEd... HornEd = T2K...

You know like in The Matrix where Agent Smith is acutually NEO's opposite. His negative...
9.gif

Moon you gave it away dude i only seen the first movie! Horn i am sorry if i put you in a one catagory deal. But that is the way i seen it. Sorry i didn't look back at older posts. I am still breaking in my surrounds boy they are harsh at loud volumes at first but their getting better. I have had bose in my living room and these are not as reflective in my opinion. I had bose in my room on two different occasions from crutchfield and packed them up two days after i got them. I new right away they wouldn't work for hometheater.

----------------

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:58:50 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:37:10 PM avman wrote:

and mOOn-

sorry to yell, i thought you might have missed that
2.gif

avman.

----------------

Oh but dude... You relize how cool the tri towers of power look?
2.gif

Actually to be very honest with you, I like the sound of the RF7 center. it's a perfect tembre match and I have not lost any clarity at all. At least non that I can hear.

----------------

sorry mOOn, i didn't know you had a Rf-7 already for your center channel15.gif that's GOOD!(i thought you had a space issue-that was someone on another thread)

what about using ONE pair of rs-7's for side surrounds?

For the love of Klipsch, ygmn! There is so much sound in a modern 5.1 or 6.1 DVD that is lost to under-performing front centers and over-saturating side and rear effects speakers on conventional sound systems that once you hear a properly set up monopole system a person is not likely to go back. Heavy movie goers tell me that since they saw a premier movie in my Legacy Theater movie theater sound is crappy at best.

When upwards of 75% of the total sound on a DVD is directed to your front center speaker why would you have anything less than your best performer for the speaker that has to work the hardest in HT? And lets face it, as great as the versatile RC-7 is it is a step down in sound to the elegant RF-7.

But the RC-7 makes a truly great rear surround array. The horizontal orientation with two woofers at each end plus a 90x60 Tractrix horn in the center covers a sweet spot in a hurry. The ideal center between to RF-7s is an RF-7 that has been oriented to maximize its value as a horizontal speaker. Sure wish it was a special order option from Klipsch. Set up as a demo in an audio store, Three RF-7s in front array and three or four RC-7s in the rear array would blow away just about any other manufacturers demo. -HornEd

PS: m00n, one thing Keith and I can agree on is that t2k does not = HornEd and HornEd doesn't = t2k... even in "The Tractrix!" I see now why the British ordered death to the Irish for playing, "the rising of the m00n" the theme song of Irish rebels. Hey, you aren't getting Irish on us for March 17th are you?