FINALLY! GOT SURROUNDS

wheelman

Damn!

Just like the old days! You two kids go to your rooms and don't come back until you can say sorry to one another.

At the very least, save this garbage for the general section.

HornEd? You should know better. I'm very disappointed.15.gif No recess for you today.

Keith, you appear to have used a great deal of restraint in responding. You get a star for your behavior chart, but not a gold one, because you weren't able to ignore him completely.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yum, as a collector of cool Klipsch flavors in Heritage, Legend, Synergy, and Reference in monopole AND WDST flavors... I am all for the "scoops" reflected by Forum members. In the thousands of posts I have made on this Forum, hundreds have been of the "m00n pie peace" variety... and only a relative handful have been in retaliation to t2k's vulgar obsession.

Yep, I should resist pouring yellow "soup" and "B" & "S" alphabet soup letters on Keith's sage scoops... and putting the cone on his head... but it does provide a somewhat perverse pleasure. 11.gif -HornEd

PS: Thanks Keith, for all the amusement you have given to so many on this Forum. I only hope m00n finds someone like you to amuse him when he's collecting his Social Security check.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 8:29:18 AM HornEd wrote:

PS: Thanks Keith, for all the amusement you have given to so many on this Forum. I only hope m00n finds someone like you to amuse him when he's collecting his Social Security check.

----------------

beatles.gif

Send me a postcard, drop me a line

Stating point of view

Indicate precisely what you mean to say

Yours sincerely, wasting away

Give me your answer, fill in a form

Mine for evermore

Will you still need me, will you still feed me.

When I'm sixty-four

----------------

On 3/9/2004 8:29:18 AM HornEd wrote:

----------------

Well... If i'm lucky Keith and I will hook up one day and do some bass fishing.

When I was in the Navy, I was down in Mississippi for a while. Met a bamma gal (oh she was fine). She gave me a picture and on the back she wrote.

"Alabama breeds the best"

----------------

On 3/9/2004 11:38:07 AM m00n wrote:

Well... If i'm lucky Keith and I will hook up one day and do some bass fishing.

When I was in the Navy, I was down in Mississippi for a while. Met a bamma gal (oh she was fine). She gave me a picture and on the back she wrote.

"Alabama breeds the best"

----------------

bass fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah! count me in(if that's o.k.) i 'grew up' on bass fishing! topwater is my favorite,nothing like seeing a big 'ol bucketmouth explode on a topwater lure!

it pains me to see two guys on the forum who i like go at it like this15.gif but who am i to play referee.

FWIW-T2K must put some 'magic' in his ksp-s6's because the ones i bought from him sound AWESOME in my HT room.

OTOH-HornEd has convinced me to 'HornEd-zontalise' a klf-20 into a center channel when i can get a good deal on one.

so both of y'all have been a help to me.

i just wish you wouldn't attack EACH OTHER so much. ideas/concepts/suggestions are open to debate and even attack or praise, but personal attacks make me sad8.gif

avman.1.gif

I read you loud and clear, tripod... is that "Do it with a monopole" written on the shirt of your avatar flasher?

I am going to write on the blackboard, "Be kind to dumb animals and t2k today!" all during recess. It's positive, separates the sheep from the goat and may even earn me a lead star in the tripod reformatory.

At least I didn't have to use "$$" to cover up my "hole"-hearted vulgarities.

And in the different flavors department: tripod, anyone who favors "macaroni & cheese" flavored ice cream has got to be a step ahead in this free spirited Forum. And m00n, I thought you got over that "breeding" urge when you fell off the folding ladder!

So I'll just ask, "Why did the KSP-S6 cross the road?" and wait for the answer like a good boy. 12.gif -HornEd

----------------

On 3/9/2004 2:37:48 PM HornEd wrote:

So I'll just ask, "Why did the KSP-S6 cross the road?" and wait for the answer like a good boy.
12.gif
-HornEd

----------------

"to reflect sounds to the other side"3.gif2.gif9.gif

btw-the front half of my ksp-s6's FACES my sweet spot, so i get direct sound from the front horn and 6 1/2" woofer, while the back twin half 'sprays' sound off the back wall.

did you read my earlier post? you guys behave yourselves,please.1.gif

avman.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 2:37:48 PM HornEd wrote:

And m00n, I thought you got over that "breeding" urge when you fell off the folding ladder!

----------------

Oh no... Hell, i'd breed a snake if I could get it to hold still long enough and promsise not to bite. 9.gif

Oh yeah Avman wasnt that the one about taking a deHornEd bipolar steer to a nuclear fission hole?

Actually, Avman, I do recall that your use of the KSP-S6's allows your ears to get the first shot from one side... and the echo from the ones firing against the back wall. As I wrote when you mounted them in your splendoriffic home cinema, I think that's the smartest use of that speaker I have ever seen... you have effective ambience without sacrificing directionality and timbre-matching. =HornEd

PS: Tripod... most people just try to get me to see both sides of an issue... but you bring in a third dimension. Are you sure your favorite flavor isn't macaroni, cheese and sage?

While trying to find a corner (without a Klipschorn) to stand in I reflected, Why did the monopole cross the road?

----------------

On 3/9/2004 3:18:47 PM HornEd wrote:

While trying to find a corner (without a Klipschorn) to stand in I reflected, “Why did the monopole cross the road?”

----------------

"so it could be far enough away from the listener to not sound too directional"14.gif

i know, that was poor, but much 'cleaner' than the first answer i thought of(it had to do w/a 'tweeter'and a chicken)

2.gif

avman.

Moon dude! You watch tripping the rift i take it. I just checked it out recently. Definetly a trip. Amazing computer animation and funny. I seen the one were they accidently killed GOD when they went to the beginning of time. Is that thursday nights scifi? Wow scifi just got a free plug.

Dude... where you been, i posted a free plug to it down in the general area. 9.gif And yeah, thats the episode I seen to. I think last thursday was the premier... I didn't see it last Thursday however, they had a repeat on Sunday.

Now come on, BBB, one guy does it with a monopole... up front and personal... with all the ambience the audio engineer mixed in.

The other guy does it all over the walls, ceiling, furniture, lampshade, hound dog, and m00nshine jug... 'til the secondhand thumps, bumps and grinds jump your audio bones... hammer, stirrup & anvil beating on your inner ear until a saxophone solo sounds like the anvil chorus in an echo chamber.

Hmmm, there ought to be a twelve step program for unnatural sax.

So you see, one tee shirt just has a Khorn and a smiling significant other caught up in the rapture of PWK...

The other tee shirt has the waves bouncing round the hem... tickling the arm pits... bouncing off the hem... tumbling over the pecs... then getting caught up in the navel intelligence that suggests tripoles know their bass from their bellows... at least better than audio engineers that mixed the original cut.

Now, BBB, of all the creative types on this Forum, I'm betting you can come up with a pic that represents monopole's symphonic naturalness... as compared with the dipole's out-of-phase cacophony... caca phony... caw caw faux knee...

The days when audio engineers mixed DVD's for sound sprayers are mercifully fading away... and with 5.1 (or more), audio mixers can paint any mixture of ambience and directional sound as the script requires... and send them to one, two, three, four, five or more monopoles with the majority of the effect coming from speakers placed the way the sound mixer anticipated. Bipoles, dipoles and tripoles force their scattered bias on every sound that comes through them.

It's like potatoes... some like 'em clean, crisp and served fresh 3.gif ... and some like them half-baked, mashed and thrown against the wall before they're consumed. 6.gif -HornEd

Ed i am down with monopoles. No problem but ss-1 are not dipole that i know off. Bipoles are quite a bit different than dipoles too in sound. I will actually have one of the horns pointing at me so i will have a good seemless sound and a full out tide to boot. I am completely down with monopoles especially towers for surrounds. Just to bad they don't work for every room. And some rooms RULE! with dipole's. NO doubt about it. Beleive me i have heard just about every 5.1 surround setup for surrounds. My cousin has his surrounds on the floor pointing up behind him and their car speakers! Just don't confuse people and say that monopoles are the only way to go when that is not true. ONly if the room allows it to sound good it will. I'd subscribe to your subscription but that magazine is a one way street. Their should be no hard feelings because i like monopoles they just don't work for everything. If you want a flat out cinema sound go with sprayers and if you want 3d go with monopole.

Wheelman... there are no hard feelings here. I too have been around the block and back in the 50 years since I bought my first Klipschorn. My son and I designed and built a custom 7.1 system in a 60 seat theater that was originally designed and built for Eastman Kodak... and then became my showroom in the Dallas InfoMart BEFORE ProLogic was invented and THX was unknown out of Marin Co., California. I have owned venues with indoor and outdoor pro sound systems... in fact I own one now. Some pretty weird configurations have come out of my head... so, man, there is no hassle from here as to what you like in your space.

To me, dipoles just tell fuzzy audio lies... but, hey, people dig what people dig... and truth isn't always popular. At least bipoles can be crisp when they mess with your mind. Tripoles at least let some small cone truth hit your ears below about 2kHz... and WDST are among the best picks of this audio litter.

Granted, I have the luxury of building rooms to suit my speaker experimentations... and I tend to share my experiences with others... and they share with me. It's meant to be a thought provoking thing... not a bragging thing. I have had hundreds of interactions with all kinds of Klipsch oriented people from all walks of life. And I know I can learn something from every one of them.

My bias toward six identical monopoles and an adequate subwoofer array comes from building home theaters that faithfully reproduce the sounds intended by the audio engineers that mix modern DVDs, multi-channel and stereo music. I set up systems with laser pointers and multi-dimensional targets, and my faithful SPL meter. In my search for an audio system that will recreate the intended ambiance, I have taken apart speakers and re-engineered them to better fit the potential to be unlocked in a modern DVD.

There are folks all over the world that have rebuilt their home theaters using my acoustic approaches with a wide variety of speaker types and brands. So far, not one has said that my approach made their system worse! I am open to talk seriously about audio with just about anyone except those who insist that their way is the only way. Frankly, I have never found a better way than the way I am currently building them but that doesnt mean that your system couldnt beat my system all to hell and back.

As many as 40-50 people at a time have sampled the all monopole sound in my eight Klipsch Legend Theater over the last few years have the consensus opinion that this theater that was designed before Paul Klipsch passed is better than any commercial theater system in the San Francisco Bay Area. As yet, I have only allowed close audio friends into my Klipschorn/Heritage experiments.

I am a free spirit and I dont like to be stuffed in a phony stereotype and thats why t2k bugs me. I started out on this Forum with great respect for Keith but somewhere along the line (I really dont know where) he took exception to the extensions of the audio theories of Paul Klipsch and Floyd Toole and dogged nearly every post to take personal potshots at my character and heritage. So, now when he appears in all his bloated self righteous ignorance I just cant seem to resist building a verbal pin to get him to show what he is made of. I guess finding just one angry curmudgeon in over 2,500 posts is not perfect but then again I never claimed I was. -HornEd

Ed.....

===1===

I have been using 4 side surrounds. Reason being is that i have 9 theater seats, 3 rows of 3. It's my assumption that this would give me the greater seat coverage at a cost of clarity. Is that a true assumption?

===2===

It was explained to me once that the RS7s give a better illusion something coming towards you, to the side of you and away. Is that true or not?

===3===

Based on your answer to #2, getting rid of my 4 RS7s, replacing them with 2 RC7s, is true or not true that I would loose some of that illusion of surround affects as described in #2?

===4===

How do I retain a good seating coverage. Keep in mind that my room is only 10 feet wide.

I guess you could say that I have been toying with the idea for a long time now of selling my RS7s and replacing them with RC7s

What I said in #1 is only partially true. While I have 4 RS7s, I have only been running 2 of the 4 side surrounds. This was at Artto's suggestions saying that running the 4 side surrounds (RS7s) was harming the overall quality. While I found this to be true, it was true to only the slightest degree. At least to my ears.

If I rid myself if the RS7s and went with RC7s... How do I ask this... Ok.. Is 4 RC7s less evil to audio quality than 4 RS7s. My delima is, I want a large field of surround coverage and at the same time, best audio quality I can get.

----------------

On 3/6/2004 10:03:32 AM HornEd wrote:

It's a sad day for wheelman in this neck of the woods. Filling your ears with reflected sounds that destroy timbre-matching is an extension of the THX disease that started by making "theater sound" mediocre in every seat and then convincing the public it was better sound. The only scam bigger than THX surrounds is the artificial wool Bose has pulled over the eyes of the public to become the world's largest selling speaker company.

Of course, if the acoustics of wheelman's listening area is so poor that it needs a WDST thrash metal band-aid... I suppose it's a good thing. But, as negative as this reply may seem, I am sending you love wheelman... and a sincere hope that you get well soon... and discover what you have now committed yourself to missing... the lightly varnished joy of monopole surrounds... correctly set up. -HornEd

PS: Paul W. Klipsch never bought into the dipole, bipole, tripole scene. In fact, the whole multi-polecat theme earned a malodorous yellow BS button!

----------------

You have no tolerance for anyone that has an opinion that differs from yours. Your posts prove that. If fact, your posts prove many things about you. If one is allowed to run his mouth long enough, you can learn many things about that person. You have condensed that process into one thread.

I stand by my earlier evaluation of your personality. You continue to prove me right over and over and over.....

Keith