FINALLY! GOT SURROUNDS

wheelman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/11/2004 4:25:31 PM fini wrote:

This is getting a bit sillier than one of my (typical) posts. It's time to bury it, my good friends!! My best energy is (seriously) headed in (each of) your way(s)!!

----------------

fini-that reminds me of John Cleese in monty python coming into the scene as a british officer and saying 'alright..this scene has gotten far too silly.stop it,that's it,quit filming...'

avman.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 4:25:31 PM fini wrote:

My best energy is (seriously) headed in (each of) your way(s)!!

----------------

I agree with Fini, CMon you two... Kissy Kissy and make up. Or at least agree that you two just don't agree and call it good.

1.gif

You guys remind me of that movie "Grumpy Old Men". On the surface could not stand each other, yet on the inside were best friends all along. 2.gif

Nothing like identical front three speakers. Whether their bookshelf,towers, or satellites. ONe less thing to worry about in sound. Really important to get them close to the same height to. If your using a typical horizontal center it is really important.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 4:57:47 PM m00n wrote:

I gotta hand it to ol Wheelman. He has been a trooper and stuck to the topic of this thread all along.
1.gif
Unlike me, I have been poking and proding and medling (sp?) between this firestorm.
4.gif

----------------

Have you ever seen that movie that Mel Brooks wrote (by the way a comic genius). It was a vampire movie and Mel and that other guy had to have the last word. That was hilarious. It had the guy Brian from wings (awesome sitcom) and (Casey) from wings(super hot). Also Leslie Neilson (as dracula). I would like to buy that. That was just funny stuff Mel Brooks is great and that last word scene just kills me.

Alright, this is my take on the whole thing.

I do have a setup with both full-range monopoles (RF-5s) as well as WDST (RS-7s) as surrounds. I tried both ways with movies and music as well as with just watching TV off the DirecTV service, and this is what I found in my situation.

I found I prefered the sound of the RS-7s over the RF-5s for watching movies and TV. I found that I did like the more expansive, more envoloping sound field that I got out of the RS-7s for the surrounds. However, for listening to music, I prefered the RF-5s. Now, if I had the "perfect" room with the "perfect" setup, then perhaps I would like it more with just the monopoles, but since I don't have the resources, such as the money and time, to just build a room that works, I'll have to do with what I got.

Same thing with the center channel. I am using an RC-7 as a center purely because there is just no way in hell that I can fit an RF-7 up front for the center, even if I turned one sideways. The RC-7 seems to perform plenty good enough. I do have a single RC-7 in the rear position, completing a 6.1 type setup.

Yes, ideally, having all the same monopole's all the way around would be great, but unfortunatly, this is not a perfect world, and we got to do with what money and space allows us.

I do tell people if possible, try for the same speaker all the way around, but failing that, then try to listen to both the monopoles and WDST's and go with what works/sounds best for them.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 3:37:45 PM ygmn wrote:

----------------

On 3/11/2004 12:11:51 PM HornEd wrote:

If you mean, ygmn, do I agree that WDST speakers should remain in the marketplace for special situations... yes, not only do I agree with it but I have dozens of posts over the past three years that explain why.

The part that I don't agree with is his suggestion that I am in a "camp" that would hold that there is only one monopole solution for all cases... that would be absurd.

Do I think that, given a reasonable acoustic environment, that monopole surrounds will far outperform WDST surrounds in seamless and faithful reproduction of modern DVD's and multi-channel music? You bet I do...

----------------

So how do you know when to use which type of surround speaker? I mean making suggestions to people without seeing or visiting their HT is well kinda hard to do I would think huh?

----------------

never answered...but that is fine...

I figured it out it's Dracula Dead And Loving IT. Yeah you get awesome results with a horizontal center. Just try and get it within a foot of the left and right tweeters. Other wise the sound drops some and you can hear it. I don't know why but a foot is rule of thumb i guess by crutchfields hometheater setup and dolby labs. Don't quote me I really hate that.9.gif

Sorry, ygmn, I had to attend to some business so this will be brief. A monopole is named so because its speaker(s) are aimed in one direction. Bipoles & dipoles are aimed in opposite directions. Tripoles have been made to have two speakers firing in opposite directions and a third firing toward the audience.

WDST is a better version of the tripole (IMHO) because it aims the end speakers (horns) on a wedge angle into the room. Set up according to Klipsch instructions, the 2kHz and under cone is aimed at the audience and the 2kHz and over tractrix horns are sprayed immediately in front of and immediately behind the audience to achieve a wide reflective area before the sounds reach one's ear.

In effect, it is not "one wall" of sound across 180 degrees but rather "three sound segments" Front 2kHz> : Mid <2kHz : Rear 2kHz> ... only one (Mid <2kHz) is aimed directly at the audience the others have to bounce back. Modern theaters put multiple monopole speakers along the theater walls on each side. Putting a center speaker (like an RC-7) gives you the effect of two widely spaced cone woofers with a 90x60 tractrix horn to make the midrange and highs up close and personal.

Granted it takes a little more time, knowledge, a set-up disc, and an SPL meter to set up a proper home theater with monopoles... but the results is worth it. Setting up a home theater with WDST is easier right out of the box for folks who want instant gratification. It's a matter of choice... and I don't have a problem with the choice anyone makes for themselves. I just found what I believe to be a better way and am trying to share it. No brag... just fact. -HornEd