Just bought some Khorns!!!

pierceb

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATS!! to ALL who have the room/opportunity to use THE MIGHTY KLIPSCHORN!!

HornEd-

as a fellow 'legend-lover', you know i will have a HornEd-zontalized klf-20 as a center channel between my 30's(eventually), and i passed on a GREAT opportunity for 2004 brand new lascalas which would have had to go in place of my klf-30's for a # of reasons,mainly because...well, I LOVE THE SOUND OF MY KLF-30's!!

getting on to another point-

this rear surround di-pole vs. monopole 'debate'...

i have been blessed by the 'audio gods' with a GREAT room(acoustically and video-wise) for my theater, GREAT sound for movies AND music,and GREAT looks when you walk into it.

my combinations of AWESOME receiver with EXCEPTIONAL bass management and a variety of e.q. capability/speaker level and placement processing,etc.;a great sub-RSW-15 placed just right;and my KLF-30's/C-7 center(for now)AND KSP-S6'S as rear surrounds!

in MY room,they work extremely well.

exapmle: eagles h.f.o. seven bridges road sounds beautifully balanced in 5.1 DTS as the 5 guys voices come out of the 5 speakers independently.

pop in a 'action' movie and WOW!! awesome surround sound!

a concert dvd-HEY! this sounds great too!

oh yeah- they,along w/my receiver's 'virtual matrix 6.1' capability, do a convincing job of simulating a center rear for 6.1-encoded dvds.

so from one legend lover to another-

monopole surrounds have their place,but there ARE viable options that perform very well DEPENDING ON ENVIRONMENT.

i don't disagree w/you prefering full-sized monopoles all-around,and your system may sound 'better' than mine, but hey-it impresses others, and more importantly, it impresses ME,and i have 'been around the block' a time or two!2.gif9.gif1.gif

avman.

Thanks for all the kind words, good suggestions on the heavy duty dolly. I do have a dolly, but it isn't one of the U-Haul models. I might be using my minivan to move them, if so, I won't have much room left for a dolly. I might have to do two trips.

I will post pics once I get a chance. The move will take place at night, so I don't know how the pics will turn out.

-PB

Ive noticed something and I am not sure why, but here goes. The RF-7's have been out since 1999 for 5 years now and I cannot find one for sale used on either Audiogon nor Ebay, they pop up very rarely for sale on Ebay used, in the past 5 months ive seen maybe 3 pairs go on sale new and non existent on Audiogon. Why isnt anyone selling these things, but yet you can find all the Lascalla's, Cornwalls, Khorns you want for sale.

Congrats on the horns! I hope you enjoy them greatly. I hope someday to get some of my own, too. :-)

Oh, and I'm glad GFH asked for your RF-7's. This way I'm not the first to say "Hey, let me know if you want to sell some of your stuff!" 9.gif If you decide those Cornies have got to go, please do give me a holler.

----------------

On 3/7/2004 11:02:07 PM pierceb wrote:

I live on the west coast of Canada, and these things are very few and far between.

Hard to believe you would have to much trouble finding k-horns in western canada. Maybe finding them next door might be an issue but the west coast in general has plenty kicking around.

During the oil boom of the 80's klipsch strong hold in edmonton alberta sold tons of heritage. Guys making money so fast they could'nt decide what to buy next. Calgary was'nt as strong but still had a dealer.

I know we have board members in and around the edmonton area with lots of klipsch gear.

I'm in summerland right now but will be leaving in a week.

Are you right on the coast ?

----------------

On 3/8/2004 11:41:03 AM heretic wrote:

Congrats on the horns! I hope you enjoy them greatly. I hope someday to get some of my own, too. :-)

Oh, and I'm glad GFH asked for your RF-7's. This way I'm not the first to say "Hey, let me know if you want to sell some of your stuff!"
9.gif
If you decide those Cornies have got to go, please do give me a holler.

----------------

Heretic,

I'm in California, too, and if my purchase goes through, my Cornwalls will be for sale (1980, oiled walnut, excellent condition). I will get around to posting photos of them in the next week, or so. I'll offer them here first before eBay. I'd like to sell them locally, as "crating and shipping" is an ordeal (but I will do it).

Avman, you know from previous posts and emails that I dig the ambience and KLF-30's that makes your home theater a Showtime extravaganza! And there is no doubt that your ears are the ears to be pleased in your home theater err, unless you count the ears of a significant other.

WDST can and does make a difference in countless acoustically challenged environments and Klipsch would be well served in continuing to offer them in their product line. That doesnt change the HornEd fact that six (fill in the monopole) identical speakers create a better overall sound from modern DVDs than any other hodge-podge of audio mismatches.

There apparently is a lot to be said for inundating ones ears with theater sound but I am not the one to say it. But, I will say if you enjoy it and so does your significant other or assorted crumb crunchers (as they may appear) so be it! But, to paraphrase Ogden Nash:

One bliss for which

there is no match

Is when you Klipsch itch

It time to raise the scratch

-HornEd

HornEd, btw, so glad to see you back posting with renewed joy and vigor. I will be doing some vicarious Klipschorning-in with fini today.

Should be a fun ride....with fini helping me practice my morse code abbreviations along the way dah dit dit dah dit, etc.

fini has pointed out that this morse code bit is a real "babe" magnet, so if all goes well, we can look forward to baring it all at yet another gala event at the old last resort.

Short of a major remodel to my own living room, I will have to be happy, for the moment, with my beautiful Cornwalls and my home-brewed Altec towers. To bring you up to date....after a winter of breathing soldering fumes here while fixing up some vintage tube amps, I rediscovered on old interest in ham radio, so I am re-testing to renew my license (-tiousness) and will be, hopefully, setting up a little ham shack here in the house. Congrats to you on all your own recent evolutions and metamorphoses.

dah dah di di dit, di di di dah dah......

C&S

I was afraid that if I mentioned that something has to go, I would get some people drooling.

I'm not sure what is going to go yet. I thought at first the RF-7's, but I have a nice, reasonably compact HT with that setup. I wouldn't mind doing an all-heritage HT (and keep the cornies), but I really don't have the space.

I just started to really appreciate the sound of the cornwalls, now that I have listened to them for a month or so. They are so musical and well tuned,I know I will regret getting rid of them.

Whatever I do, I will offer what is for sale to the board first. I haven't posted very much in the past, looks like I will be hanging around here more often.

-PB

Dit di di dah... okay, so it's not Morse Code but the opening notes of a symphonic work on bongos. I also did not use Zeno's note (which describes the Greek paradox about mathematically determining where a runner would be but has no way to explain how he got there! So, Clipped of your Morse morsels and Shorn of the off tempo tempura while waiting for the band at our last meeting... fini's "Zeno-to-Go" order smacks of a savory saga that "Enquiring Klipschers" want to know.

Please give us a delightful C&S (Clam & Shuck) report on the Roseville Romp. Oh, yeah, and are you the one that is going to validate the "only 50 hours of use by a little old lady with an ear trumpet" story? -HornEd

----------------

On 3/8/2004 11:40:48 AM Georg F. Handel wrote:

Ive noticed something and I am not sure why, but here goes. The RF-7's have been out since 1999 for 5 years now and I cannot find one for sale used on either Audiogon nor Ebay, they pop up very rarely for sale on Ebay used, in the past 5 months ive seen maybe 3 pairs go on sale new and non existent on Audiogon. Why isnt anyone selling these things, but yet you can find all the Lascalla's, Cornwalls, Khorns you want for sale.

----------------

I would guess that it's because there were decades of production of Heritage models. Many of their owners have moved over the years and chosen to downsize. With RF-7 being fairly recent models, original purchasers are more likely to still have the same music rooms and same priorities in life.

pierceb - I've been corresponding with Dale Walker, a Klipsch forum member recently, and he's very interested in obtaining a pair of Cornwalls. He's in Western Canada too. He told me that he's owned every Klipsch Heritage except the Cornwalls. I guess he has not seen too many for sale out that way.

He considered buying mine, but the shipping and tarrifs were too much. I know he'd appreciate it if you contacted him due to the fact that you guys are probably in very close proximity to one another. His email is painterstoy@yahoo.ca

Greg

----------------

On 3/8/2004 12:36:08 PM HornEd wrote:

Avman, you know from previous posts and emails that I dig the ambience and KLF-30's that makes your home theater a Showtime extravaganza! And there is no doubt that your ears are the ears to be pleased in your home theater err, unless you count the ears of a significant other.

WDST can and does make a difference in countless acoustically challenged environments and Klipsch would be well served in continuing to offer them in their product line. That doesnt change the HornEd fact that six (fill in the monopole) identical speakers create a better overall sound from modern DVDs than any other hodge-podge of audio mismatches.

There apparently is a lot to be said for inundating ones ears with theater sound but I am not the one to say it. But, I will say if you enjoy it and so does your significant other or assorted crumb crunchers (as they may appear) so be it! But, to paraphrase Ogden Nash:

One bliss for which

there is no match

Is when you Klipsch itch

It time to raise the scratch

-HornEd

----------------

i know we have discussed this before, and i would like the opportunity to hear the audio bliss that you enjoy.

if,perhaps you find yourself in the 'big easy',you may find that being 'sprayed' in my ht room isn't such a bad thing9.gif

btw-do you care to compare lascalas to klf-30's? your opinion would be welcome.

thanks,

avman.1.gif

p.s. no 'crumb crunchers' here, unless dog biscuits count3.gif

Avman, I nearly bought four pro versions of LaScalas last year for an outdoor stage. In the pecking order of those bygone days, the LaScalas were gone before I got to them. Oddly enough, it turns out they were sold by the same fellow I just bought the Klipschorns and Belle from.

The reason he got rid of the LaScalas was that his listening environment just wasn't large enough to handle four LaScalas for HT. He acquired the Klipschorns and Belle to try to shoehorn them into his fully loaded space. It didn't work, hence my opportunity to pick them up for my rear array.

I like the fully-horn loaded effect for music... but probably prefer the KLF-30 punch and quickness (particularly since I limit the woofers to 85Hz and above) they bring to HT. IMHO, Heritage loudspeakers generally work better when there is lots of room and particularly favorable acoustics. My vote would be a KLF center worthy of your 30's. -HornEd

PS: You really have a great HT... you should post photos of it more often as an incentive to newbies.

I will keep Dale in mind if I chose to gid rid of my Cornwalls. They are 1975 CD-BR's, sound beautiful, but need a little work cosmetically. I would like to make clear that I haven't decided to get rid of them yet.

My wife actually said she prefers the look of the heritage over the reference series (more furniture quality to them), so the Cornwalls may stay. I probably won't make a final decision in a month or so.

BTW - I live in the Greater Vancouver area.

-PB

There was someone down in general questions trying to unload some belles in the spokane area.

If k-horns are to big then a belle would be the next step, not to sure if the wife would like scala's in her living room but you never know.

Dale's just outside edmonton , he's got 4 klipschorns and a pair of LaScala's

right now and dealing with sheltie dave on a belle . I'm sure he'd be intrested in your corns.

----------------

On 3/8/2004 8:44:39 AM fini wrote:

jazman,

I'll be heading up to the Roseville area (past Sacramento) today to pick 'em up, if they're as nice as they say they are. KB-WO, 1977, an estimated 50 hours of use, total! They said they're in "perfect" condition. I'm taking Clipped & Shorn along for the ride. Yes, I have an appliance dolly. My kids gave me one for Christmas, and I LOVE it!

----------------

Fini,

Congratulations again on your walnut Khorns. You have to be jazzed for the drive to Roseville to pick them up. I know the area faily well since it has been the site for the Northern California Youth Hockey Playoffs the last few years, and will be this year again. Looking forward to the photos. It just proves, "There's still gold in them there hills"!

Klipsch out.