Favorite music tracks to demo your system?

RichardP

I have read a couple of threads about favorite DVDs to use to demo your HT systems for friends, etc., but what about 2-channel music? Which CDs, or individual CD tracks, do you keep coming back to because they sound so good, because of separation, spaciousness, 3-dimensionality, etc.? I know that many will nominate Dark Side of the Moon, certainly a favorite of mine. Another one I find stunning is on Dire Straits's Brothers in Arms, specifically the "Money for Nothing" track ("I want my MTV.."). Someone on another thread mentioned something about Paul Simon's Graceland, which I own but had not listened to in years; they were right, the entire CD is wonderfully engineered. Let's hear about your faves. Maybe I own some gems but don't realize it.

Sonny Clark's "Cool Strutin'" on lp. Side one. 180 gram Blue Note reissue - stereo version.

On cd, Best of James Taylor, "Something In The Way She Moves" (track 1) has great guitar plucks and excellent vocal imaging/soundstaging. Also, Garcia & Grisman from the Grateful Dawg Soundtrack "The Thrill Is Gone." Love the moraccas (sp?).

I like the Dire Straits "Money For Nothing."

I also like to use Cake's "Never There."

May be cheating but I use the 2 Channel DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Metallica's "Metallica."

I always demo "Be My Lover" off the Night at the Roxbury Soundtrack any time someone comes over to my house--Cranked up ALL THE WAY!!!

Another one is "Natural Born Killaz" by Dre and Ice Cube, off the Murder Was The Case "Soundtrack."

"Ends" by Everlast.

And Once in a while AC/DC "Back in Black."

Metallica-blackened for some fast kick. Actually i demo anything i am in the mood for. I really don't demo much of anything i play what i want to hear at the time. Well the last couple of ones i really demoed was Black label society, and Machine Heads new one. I personally demo the tragically hip for myself all the time.

I use "Thank You, goodnight..." by Jennie DeVoe (www.jdevoe.com) who is a musician out of Indy. This CD is a live recording that is one of the best sounding live recordings I've ever heard. Track 1 'Whisper In The Dark' is really good with a djimbay (percussion) intro then some keys then the vocals ... crystal clear (to my ears) and great separation & soundstage placement IMHO. Am ,I biased on this CD? ... mmmmmm, maybe a bit ... see my board name. 2.gif

peace, mitch

Queens of the Stone Age

'Song for the Dead' from the 'Songs for the Deaf' CD

and 'Quick and to the Pointless' from the 'Rated R' CD.

One has a fun lead in that get's progressively louder then BOOM! The speakers get to stretch their legs a little and it scares the pants off of people listening, especially those who haven't heard the songs before.

Otherwise, I suppose I prefer soundtrack CD's for showin' off my Ultra's anyway. The one's for '******', 'Aliens' and 'Fight Club' work particularly well. I'm sure they're not the tour de force songs that hit all the highs, mids and lows big-time like some of the songs other people are listing here, but they're fun to hear and they're more than just bass! 9.gif

It would take years for me to pick out a favorite. Here's a list I think no music collection should be without. Sorry that I have no classical. My stupid brother is a rapoholic and deleted all my classical.

"Wasted Years" by Cold

"When the Children Cry" by White Lion

"Refugee" by Tom Petty

"Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

"Live Again" by Sevendust

"When the Children Cry" by White Lion

"Bright Eyes" by Blind Guardian

"My Imortal" by Evanescence

"Final Countdown" by Europe

"Shake and Tumble" by Firehouse

"All She Wrote" by Firehouse

"Inside Us All" by Creed

"Livin' On a Prayer" by Bon Jovi

"Livin' On the Edge" or "Jaded" by Aerosmith

"Innocent" by Fragile (Local Band; e-mail me if you want the mp3 of this.)

"Serenity" by Godsmack

"Al-Naafiysh" by Hasham

"Next To Nothing" by Breaking Benjamin

"Wheel in the Sky" by Journey

Some other ones are:

Amazing-Aerosmith

Behind Blue Eyes-Limp Bizkit

Time-Pink Floyd

Let Her Cry-Hootie and the Blowfish

Numb-Linkin Park

Welcome to the Machine-Pink Floyd

Back in Black-AC/DC

You shook me all night long-AC/DC

Bring me to life-Evanescence

Faithfully-Journey

Dont stop Beleivin'-Journey

Just to name a few...

----------------

On 3/9/2004 11:12:48 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Some other ones are:

Amazing-Aerosmith

Behind Blue Eyes-Limp Bizkit

Time-Pink Floyd

Let Her Cry-Hootie and the Blowfish

Numb-Linkin Park

Welcome to the Machine-Pink Floyd

Back in Black-AC/DC

You shook me all night long-AC/DC

Bring me to life-Evanescence

Faithfully-Journey

Dont stop Beleivin'-Journey

Just to name a few...

----------------

Dude you need to check out some old aerosmith way better. Back in the day they were one of the best bands. And check out older acdc with Bon Scott they were the best band. Check out acdc high voltage, aerosmith gems to get you into it. Black and black is a great album. I just heard that limp bizkits version of the who's behind blue eyes and it was pretty good. Do you like audioslave, seether? A couple of pretty good newer band

Im pretty familiar with some of Aerosmith's older stuff because I have the Oh Yeah hits cd and i love every song on there. I just didnt have enough time to name every song I liked by them. The songs off the Gladiator sound track are awesome also. I like alot of the old school stuff, though. Dream on, especially. Cant tell you how many subs Ive blown on that song (I dont know why) 11.gif

----------------

On 3/10/2004 11:50:46 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

I also love Lynyrd Skynyrd. You just cant beat Freebird. period.

----------------

You could always buy the skynrd dvd really cool. I don't know man, simple man is my favorite. Was i right or wrong killer to. I am a huge Skynrd rocker. Freebird is awesome defenitely. By the way Garymd excellent album and tunes by aerosmith

Jethro Tull- Locomotive Breath / Cross-eyed Mary

Just listened to Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A,

the "introduction" (part one) is amazing......

Agree with "old" Aerosmith, "Seasons of Wither"

There are TOO many to list!

Take care all

Mike ( The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)9.gif

Got to add Beatles abbey road album. The song Help too. Elton John's mad man across the water. Dougdrake thanks for reminding me of supertramp i haven't heard them in a long time probally since the 90's. I got classics vol.9. I feel a scratch on it darn it. Figures all my older good ones been through the battles of partying.