OT: what kind of car does everyone have?

Rdmarsiii

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/13/2004 9:12:11 AM Rdmarsiii wrote:

WS6: I always thought you had a Trans Am with the WS6 package. lol.

----------------

Nah. There's two things I would never buy, Bose and GM.

I bought a GM once, a 1989 S10 Blazer. When I washed it,

the paint fell off!!! It wasn't even a year old! That cured

me of GM. I'm proud to say, I've never bought Bose . . .

Dave

WS65711(catchy name), I had the same problem BUT that problem was part of a huge recall. Chevy even took out big ads in newspapers all around the country. My S10 was repainted for free. Mine started peeling when I was washing it as well. Started as a dime-sized spot and withing a few weeks literally 25% of the paint on the entire vehicle peeled off. I'm pretty sure it only affected midnight blue S10's. What's funny is that I still see peeled blue S10's every once in a while.

RFinco:

If you really go 160, you better have some REALLY good tires. Flipping a car at that speed without a all-out roll cage puts your life in the hands of the man upstairs, not the car. The amount of energy in a car doing 75 and 160 is TREMENDOUS. My Camry has gone 110, but I don't want to push it further with stock suspension. I know the car can do 130 without too much drama.

----------------

I've really gone 160...its not something I do all the time, but I would say that at least once a week I find myself zipping along at 125 or more....the car is only at 3500 Rpms at that speed...

Radar Detectors are just too easy to use! :)

if you get a good one they work well. (passport 8500)

yeah. of course good tires. I wouldn't even consider going fast without good tires. 225/45/17 Z rate tires-Dry pavement. I only use top of the line tires, and change out for winter and summer of course. Flipping a car at that speed and I'd be dead dead dead...I think there'd be a billion to one chance that I'd survive something like that...

as far as energy--my car's handling improves dramatically over 100mph. A camry--has no buisness going fast..much too unstable at those speeds. My car lowers as it gets faster-it gets tighter to the road, and the incredibly tight suspension becomes invaluable. I would never drive a car like a camry or passat or taurus or whatever at that kind of speed...it just wasn't made for that-the second you move the wheel you ask for trouble....

thats one great thing about european cars--they excel at handling at higher speeds.

I'm not worried about my car handleing it..it's made to be fast--I'm more worried about ME handling it....

With the people with the peeling paint problem: Back in the eighties, GM decided to use water based paints because it was cheaper. They didnt do any testing and they put it right into production. Like yall said, when you washed them, the paint just peeled right off. Me and my dad had that conversation about a year or so ago...

----------------

On 3/13/2004 11:05:08 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

With the people with the peeling paint problem: Back in the eighties, GM decided to use water based paints because it was cheaper. They didnt do any testing and they put it right into production. Like yall said, when you washed them, the paint just peeled right off. Me and my dad had that conversation about a year or so ago...

----------------

We got a free repaint on our truck becuase of it.

----------------

On 3/13/2004 11:05:08 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

----------------

Also, another issue in the early-mid 80s: the big 3 bought cold-rolled steel from japan that was rolled "dirty". because of these impurities in the steel the cars rusted Very quickly, and they rusted from "inside" the metal itself-i.e. it couldn't be inhibited or stopped.

The sad thing was that at the time AMERICA made absolutely fantastic steel, yet it was more expensive than the import stuff. The other sad thing is that the people within the steel industry that knew about metals were aware of the impurities within the Japanese process. In fact, the only buyers of Japanese steel in quantities at the time were the big 3. the other industries stayed away from it like the plague.

American Car companies lost quite a lot of consumer faith because of this. It was an ideal time for the import companies to stake their claim and offer an option to what looked to be a faulty product on the market. Because of this horrible materials error American companies have been playing catch up for quite a long time. Regardless of their ACTUAL quality the big 3 still needed to contend with a very difficult past, both in the quality of their product and their refusal to support American industry.

----------------

On 3/13/2004 10:15:42 PM synthfreek wrote:

WS65711(catchy name), I had the same problem BUT that problem was part of a huge recall. Chevy even took out big ads in newspapers all around the country. My S10 was repainted for free. Mine started peeling when I was washing it as well. Started as a dime-sized spot and withing a few weeks literally 25% of the paint on the entire vehicle peeled off. I'm pretty sure it only affected midnight blue S10's. What's funny is that I still see peeled blue S10's every once in a while.

----------------

After the peeling started, I got rid of my GM piece of sheet. Mine was

gone long before the recall started. BTW, mine wasn't blue it was gray.

From what I recall, the problem indicated in the recall was with the primer.

I doubt that any of the (recall) repainted vehicles were sanded down to metal,

re-primed, and re-painted. That probably explains why we still see peeling

GM vehicles from those years today. GM won't be getting any more of my money.

----------------

On 3/13/2004 6:29:21 AM RFinco wrote:

I just gotta say...my saab is pretty damn real. EASILY hits 160(damn electronic limiter)...no where near redline and holds it without problems. 160 mph is as real as I want to get...

I'm going to "chip" it, and change out the intercooler and downpipe...that'll push me to around 315 HP... I'm good with that...and since its a saab I'll be somewhat protected when I flip it 43 times...

-----------------

Look in your mirror. Im the guy you almost killed yesterday.

road_rage.jpg

11.gif he he he he he he 11.gif