OT: what kind of car does everyone have?

Rdmarsiii

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCF0001.jpg

My present car (really), a 1998 Ford Contour SE stock four-banger with over 136,000 miles on the odometer! Just your typical in-town daily hauler.

I've only owned a few cars (tend to keep 'em a long time):

1989 Hyundai Sonata GLS (a true lemon that I kept for 10 years!)

1986 Volkswagen Jetta GL (true Mexican road-handling with only 86 HP!)

1975 Ford Grenada (with a gutless straight 6 that drank more gas than your father's Oldsmobile!)

Would like to own a Bimmer 5 Series or even a new VW Passat, but like they say in the old country, "Wish in one hand and $hit in the other, and see what you get first!" At least the Contour's paid for.

post-11084-13819253321222_thumb.jpg

black 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

bought it for $2000 and rebuilt everything. it runs out of gears at 160mph. 11.gif (i knew i should have gotten the bigger trans). In the future I'm hoping to drop in a 454 and turn it into the stock car it's supposed to be.

----------------

On 3/14/2004 5:04:18 PM DrWho wrote:

bought it for $2000 and rebuilt everything. it runs out of gears at 160mph.
11.gif
(i knew i should have gotten the bigger trans). In the future I'm hoping to drop in a 454 and turn it into the stock car it's supposed to be.

----------------

I thought you drove a Tardis!

----------------

On 3/14/2004 10:27:00 AM BBB wrote:

-----------------

Look in your mirror. I’m the guy you almost killed yesterday.

"<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/road_rage.jpg">

11.gif he he he he he he 11.gif

----------------

BBB,

you have a amuseing picture for everything don't you....?? I'd poop a purple twinkie if I saw that in the mirror.....

----------------

On 3/13/2004 12:52:48 AM formica wrote:

I used to also have, until not long ago, an unkillable '87 Mazda B2000 pickup ... i miss that rust bucket...
2.gif

Rob

----------------

Yep, I know exactly what you mean! My trustly ol' 1990 Mazda B2200 pickup truck will probably outlast me! Hell, I only paid $1,200 for that old thing, but what a workhorse! It "only" has 126,000 miles on it! I am constantly hearing about people getting over 250,000 miles on those things, and I don't put a whole lot of miles on it - I only put about 7,000 miles on it's clock in the two and half years I've had it so far. Sure comes in handy - especially after Hurricane Isabel, to help haul all that rubbish to the dump.

That paint peeling problem wasn't limited to GM. Ford reimbursed me $1800 for the paint job on my '87 Bronco. The problem was the tree huggers and VOC's. It was not limited to US brands either Datsun had similiar problems.

Today the automakers are using a dry, baked powder coating to meet VOC standards and are doing a very fine job with it.

Not as nice as Ferrerri's multicoat hand sanded laquer but....

Rick

----------------

On 3/14/2004 10:09:55 PM 3dzapper wrote:

That paint peeling problem wasn't limited to GM. Ford reimbursed me $1800 for the paint job on my '87 Bronco. The problem was the tree huggers and VOC's. It was not limited to US brands either Datsun had similiar problems.

Today the automakers are using a dry, baked powder coating to meet VOC standards and are doing a very fine job with it.

Not as nice as Ferrerri's multicoat hand sanded laquer but....

Rick

----------------

Yeah, kind of like Bill Clinton's problem was that Monica couldn't keep her mouth shut. Sounds to me like the problem, since corrected, was an inablility on the part of any paint supplier to produce a product that was not unfriendly to things that breathe and drink.

On-topic, I drive a 1997 Land Cruiser. No mods yet, but there will be.

----------------

On 3/14/2004 9:04:26 PM RFinco wrote:

you have a amuseing picture for everything don't you....?? I'd poop a purple twinkie if I saw that in the mirror.....

----------------

Thats not necessarily true. 9.gif

NextWarPlane 2.jpg

"Twinkies dropped. Heading back to base.

My rides:

1994 Chevy S-10 pickemup truck (daily driver). 165K and going strong (knocking on head).

2003 Black Acura TL-S. Ok...so it's the wife's car, but she let's me drive it! 1.gif Nice car eh Tom Blasing? Forget Mr. Brennan. He's jealous. 2.gif

1990 Honda NS50. 50cc of water cooled two-smoke fun. Used for 50cc fun run events and to terrorize the neighbors. 1.gif

1994 Kawasaki ZX9R. Some mods and a true 128 RWHP. Used to terrorize me! 6.gif

2003 Yamaha FJR1300. Two-up comfort in a very fast way.

And if the good lord is willin' & the creek don't rise, the garage will see a Yamaha RZ350 Kenny Roberts replica and a new truck this year.

As for that guy that "works & plays" with Falcon jets....dude, I work for Gulfstream. If you want to be around a real corporate jet you need to hang with our G450's and G350's. We be spanking your tail cones all over this planet. 9.gif

Tom

----------------

On 3/14/2004 5:43:20 PM bkrop wrote:

----------------

On 3/14/2004 5:04:18 PM DrWho wrote:

bought it for $2000 and rebuilt everything. it runs out of gears at 160mph.
11.gif
(i knew i should have gotten the bigger trans). In the future I'm hoping to drop in a 454 and turn it into the stock car it's supposed to be.

----------------

I thought you drove a Tardis!

----------------

lol

well...i guess "driving" around in an english blue police call box wouldn't exactly go over well. So I just park the Tardis and drive my monte carlo out the garage in the back. Besides, it's a lot more fun this way 2.gif

I even like your taste in cars, TomB

93 white Dodge Shadow ES convertible, 114K, new top & tires, fair condition, for sale, $1500, 3L V6, 150HP

94 white Mazda B2300 SE short bed p/u, 117K, $12K, 2L, no HP, no repairs yet, stock stereo (3 mile commute)

01 white Mercury Sable LS Premium, 36K, $11K, 3L V6, 200 HP, stock stereo, (LOVE it!) 2 mile commute

oil change every 5K and rotate tires, switching to synthetic oil, had refurbished metallic green Super Beetle with sun-roof (my baby Porsche!), white Buick Century (free!), had horrible blue Chevy Blazer eight years ago, ran new red Chevy Cavalier to over 125K

Back burner that car is awesome

I want a red Hummer2 and purple Plymouth Prowler but dont have so much money that I can waste it. I am incensed by 25-yr olds, making $25K, spending $25K on fancy cars (will average $50K after fees, maintenance, taxes, interest, depreciation, repairs and insurance), who do NOT own their own homes, when Uncle Sam subsidizes the purchase of the first two homes!

3.gif

just sold my matching #s 1968 Firebird last June, bought it in 1978 with 20K (original) on the clock. 400HO, 4 speed, high gears though, 3.18s, rare tilt down back seat..

polished%20car%202.jpg

now it's my '82 Jeep CJ7 with terra tires, and my '02 bright yellow GMC Sierra P/U..miss the 'bird, but I sold it someone that has the roads to drive it on!

Steve

post-2159-13819253321982_thumb.jpg

Here's my car frontal view:

1997 Explorer 5.0L V8

Powerdyne Supercharger

Clifford Alarm System w/ Remote Engine Start and Windows

K&N FIPK II Intake

Gibson Exhaust

6" Procomp Lift

Bilstein Shocks

4:10 Gears w/ Detroit Locker

AR Nitro 16" Rims

33x12.5x16 BFG Mud Terrains

Ventvisor Air Deflectors

Con Ferr Roof Rack

4 PIAA 80ProXT Lights up top, 2 more in front

2 PIAA 1500XT Fog Lamps

PIAA Superwhite Headlights

Go Rhino! Chrome grille guard and tail light guards

APC Clear Corners

APC Custom Billet Grille

5% Limo Tint all-around

SOUND SYSTEM:

Xtant 604x Amp

Xtant 1001x Amp

Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro Series (2 pairs)

2 15" Eclipse Aluminum Subs

Alpine IVA-800 LCD Head Unit

Alpine DVD Navigation System

Audiocontrol Three.1 EQ

2 Scoche Lightning Stiffening Caps

Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery

Pheonix Gold Wiring everywhere

post-12484-13819253322672_thumb.jpg