How varied are YOUR playlists?

Cleve

Tonight, for instance, I listened to cuts from the following artists/albums

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture (Kunzel - Telarc)

Peter Gabriel - So

Lil' Jon and the Eastside Boyz

Kazumi Watanabe - Lonesome Cat

Rush - Cygnus X-1

What's everyone else listening to?

For my stolen MP3 collection of 3 GB., I have mostly electronic music (including 1 GB. of Pete Namlook downloaded from eMusic.com - the CD's are made from a now defunct record company, and fetch as much as $40 on eBay!), but I have many of the hallmark songs from the 70's and 80's. I am eagar to expand this list with more music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, but don't know where to start. There is a handful of non-pop rap and hip-hop (not the sh!t on the radio) as well.

I use Winamp, as it is great for huge playlists. Media Player is stupid.

Me, kinda funny when I went from Iron Maiden to Pomp & Pipes in the course of one listening session.

I'll listen to Stratovarious then go to David Arkenstone. May throw in a little Depeche Mode or Stravinsky in between.

The only thing that I don't listen to is Hip-Hop and Rap.

So Cleve, did you play "Get Low" from Lil Jon & ESB's on those CF-4's. Got bass? That tune really gets my dual 15" subs thumping.

BTW, I listen to just about anything between AC/DC and ZZ Top, not a big country fan though I do own some Garth Brooks and Dwight Yoakum.

Got over 1000 CD's that I need to dump onto a hard drive sometime.

kenratboy you probably know this but I'm a HUGE Namlook fan and have about 200 Fax cds. Are you implying that Fax is the defunct label? If so that's is untrue. It's still going strong with a few releases just about a month ago. Secondly if you ARE talking about Fax then $40 is WAY WAY WAAAAAAY off. $40 will buy you some of the common older Fax releases but get ready to shell out $700 for a copy of Astrogator or $350 for Hearts Of Space plus tons go for $100 to $300 each. I have parted with a few and I have some on ebay now that will fetch a few hundred bucks. Some other high-priced stuff is the Rather Interesting label stuff from Atom Heart. Some of the best Fax releases are From Within I, Dreamfish I, Air I, II, III & IV, A New Consciousness, Organic Cloud, Ambiant Otaku and the Dark Side Of The Moog series with Klaus Schulze(of Tangerine Dream fame).

----------------

On 3/12/2004 12:05:08 PM gtDark wrote:

...last night Matrix Reloaded soundtrack...

----------------

I really liked that soundtrack, but it seems as if most people think its weak 4.gif

Anyways, I have like 3 days of music on my list... but I'd say I only listen to about 30% of it regularily. I'd say I have about every genre (except country >.<) on it. Rock, Techno, Metal, Pop (i guess is what you'd call it) etc etc.

Oh yeah, Itunes > Winamp 9.gif

synthfreek:

No, I didn't know. I just realized what your avitar was!

I first heard of Namlook when I was listening to SomaFM via Apple iTunes, and I heard (I know what it is now) Trip 9 - it was just the kind of chill out ambient I love. I spend WEEKS trying to find what song it was (Soma's track listing was fubar) - I was so desperate, I bought the WRONG compilation CD from Amazon (with Trip 4, the CD is called 'Excursions In Ambience' - 'the third dimension' - still a good CD.) Eventually, I found eMusic.com and they have a BUNCH of Namlook downloads! Needless to say, I am very happy I found this guy.

What is your take on Robert Rich and Steve Roach? When I order stuff from Roach, I order it from him (his web site), I e-mailed him and he said he gets more cash if I buy CD's from him than thru Amazon - and while I am the biggest Kazaa pirate ever, I gladly support people like Roach and Rich. I have a TON (like 20) of CD's I want to buy from Roach, but I could easily spend a months pay doing so!!!

So far, I have (from the legit eMusic downloads):

Air

Air 2

Air 3

Atom

Syn (Disc 1)

The Four Seasons

Some stuff from a Namlook/Dr. Atmo compilation called Silence.

About 7 hours total.

What other good ambient stuff can you recommend? I really like the 'space' stuff where it is described as being dropped off in a distant galaxy and listening to the sounds of vastness. I'm sure you know what I am talking about 2.gif

I first got into Namlook around 1993 when Fax first started. It helped working at a specialty record shop. You're on the right track with the Air series since those are some of my very favorites. Especially Air II! I actually helped in recording WITH Pete on one of his live cd's Namlook X(ten)-Monolith. It was a blast watching exactly how he performs and records. A lot of his discs are basically live recordings. The Air series are obviously more structured and are studio creations. I think you should hunt for Dark Side Of The Moog I. These are great, spacey & beaty with some of the lowest and strongest blasts of bass I've ever heard. Klaus Schulze teams up with Namlook on this series. He used to be in Tangerine Dream WAY back in the day. The only one I've heard in that series that I didn't really like is number 2. Actually the very first one I'd track down is From Within I. AWESOME space music with Richie Hawtin(Plastikman) and Namlook. You've also named two of my other favorite musicians in Roach and Rich. I'm suprised you didn't mention Michael Stearns. I have nearly every single Roach disc(over 40!) and have been buying from his site since he's offered the service. He signs all of my discs and we've exchanged emails many times. Some of my favorites of his are The Body Electric with Vir Unis. The Magnificent Void. You should get Michael Stearns-The Lost World. I could continue for hours so maybe a private message is more appropriate.

Thanks for the great info!

I have so many CD's to buy. After I get out of college and get a real job, I might blow $500 or so on CD's I want 9.gif

I know Rich looks to be a pretty hardcore audio snob:

http://www.robertrich.com/rrframeset.html

What about the other guys?

I really like musicians that record their own stuff - they seem to take a lot of pride in their work and it shows (well, sounds) it.

I don't think it would hurt to post more info here, but if you want to e-mail me, use the address you used before: kennethharden@mindspring.com

Thanks! It's always nice to know I am not the ONLY person into this music 3.gif

BTW - in your opinion, what does Klipsch do to this kind of music?

Earlier today I listened to Norah Jones "Come Away With Me", after that "Organ Works of J.S. Bach, Vol. 1" by organist Jean Guillou, and now 311 "Transistor".

Besides rock (especially the classics from the late '60s through the '80s), I also dig jazz, blues, new age, and music played on synthesizers. Grew up on classical music, opera is fine, but I'm not a fan of string quartets.

Rap and country don't cut it for me, but I have listened to it on occassion.

leaning heavy on the smooth jazz of late (Norah Jones, Yellow Jackets, Chris Botti, Rippingtons, etc.) but normally all over the map. Except metal. I don't need no stinking metal. And rap/hip-hop. At any given point in time, there might be two rap artists(?) that I actually kinda like. Right now that would be Nelly and...uh, well maybe that would be just one at a time.

Opera, hip-hop & rap don't do much for me. Otherwise I listen to everything from Beatles to Beethoven and Willie Nelson to Nelson Riddle (preferably with Linda Ronstadt on vocals). Recent purchases have been "The Essential Dave Brubeck", "The Definitive Jimmy Smith" and "Climax Blues Band FM/Live". I'm looking forward to picking up Norah Jones new CD. Really enjoyed the last one. Thinking about checking out The Vines also.

I'm with lots of folks here. Everything from Metallica to Mozart is fine with me, depending on my mood. I enjoy looking up the sometimes obscure contributing artists on some of my favorite jazz, blues and bluegrass CDs and seeing what else they've done, perhaps as lead musicians. I've ended up in some pretty funky corners that way. I'm sure others have also.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/12/2004 12:15:25 PM Frzninvt wrote:

So Cleve, did you play "Get Low" from Lil Jon & ESB's on those CF-4's. Got bass? That tune really gets my dual 15" subs thumping.

BTW, I listen to just about anything between AC/DC and ZZ Top, not a big country fan though I do own some Garth Brooks and Dwight Yoakum.

Got over 1000 CD's that I need to dump onto a hard drive sometime.

----------------

Yep, it was an Mp3 of GET LOW!!! The Lil John website offers it as a free download, so why not?

I'll be honest, since I got my McIntosh classic 4100 receiver earlier this week, I haven't even gotten around to figuring a way to connect my RW-12 sub for music. I've found that with the proper amplification, my Epic CF'4's will produce enormous quantities of picture shaking, window rattling, dishes in the cupboard jittering BASS!!!! Especially with songs like 'Get Low' Plus, my Mac's got a 5 band equalizer, so just a quarter turn of the 30 hz band really brings out the bottom end even more!

9.gif