suggestions for handling flame wars anyone?

jdm56

We're all here courtesy of the good folks at Klipsch, so ultimately we will behave by their rules, or else, BUT - in the interest of having a "forum without trainig wheels" (if I may paraphrase a TV commercial) why not create a special area for topics that "get hot". Call it the "coliseum" maybe, or "anything goes", ot maybe just "the dumper". Of course, this would require more active intervention than the moderators may want, in order to keep hot topics and flame wars moved from other forums.

I dunno, just a thought. Anyone have other suggestions?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/17/2004 1:37:18 AM fini wrote:

All topics erased at midnight?
----------------

HE11 NO! There are threads that are used weeks, and months after the fact. This is a forum, not a chat room.

Maybe a way to vote and lock a thread (like if 50 people vote on it - it gets zapped) I know there are 'self-moderated' forums.

We still need a off topic forum. I know it doesn't fit what Klipsch is trying to do here, but it would clean up general question, and in my opinion, make up a stronger community.

No posting without a password.

No password without positive ID (eBay requires a credit card number and billing address for a password)

Cesspool for off topic, has a half-life of 48hrs, self erasing.

If something worth saving is said it can be cut-and-pasted to the appropriate forum.

In my own small campaign for common sense --- I too get a bit riled and sharp keyboarded at the troll activities and the hard banter. I have even offered my own condemnation of such activities (contrarily, as I participated - how confused I am).

The common sense - this is a pretty clean board. I would rather not burden our klipsch admins with too much other than making good speakers. Yeah, stuff happens here and the same players make repeat appearances. It may be best to view the remarks with a twinkle in your eye, tenderness in your heart and a rose in your hand (being of English descent, I can corrupt any Irish saying I want - heck, it is near 8 a.m. in the Midwest on St. Patrick's Day and any self respecting Irish should already be drunk and unable to see how badly the toast was butchered).

This place is pretty darn good and surprisingly well self policed. A little contention is good for the soul. Invariably some of the best are darned opinionated and too used to being right. Put two folks like that in the same room and stuff happens.

"Oooowww... Jest yew whaite 'enry Watkins, jest yew whaite!" sang the un(horn)tutored distaff troll to the Englisher who would reshape her tongue in the Forum's virtual trollpot. Naww...

While I, too, have been frustrated by the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... and fame hunters, in the main, most of us behave rather well most of the time. It gives this virtual community not only the common ground of extended Klipsch history and product offerings... but also the opportunity to know one another as people... and that is a Forum thing that raises this virtual environment above the crass and temporary aspects of a chat room.

Generally, cooler heads among member peers have prevailed... and in nearly three years of participation I have even been one of those cooler heads. The Forum moderators have had far less to moderate than in other venues that allow "flame potential" subjects... or so it seems. They have given us the opportunity to be more free here than most manufacturers would have dared. This Forum is a place for mavericks and mavens to coexist... a place where newbies are welcome to learn and embrace the never-ending-upgrade-story.

On balance, this Forum seems to have a better "Trolling for Trolls" coefficient than most. Consistant "Trollish Behavior" deserves the ultimate solution... banishment to the unsavory side of the cyber world. -HornEd

----------------

On 3/17/2004 10:37:16 AM DeanG wrote:

Instead of banning people, I prefer humiliation. Yank their monikers and avatars and give them "special" status. Some nifty new monikers and associated avatars like, "Forum Idiot", "Ignoramous", "Ignore Me", etc...

----------------

Fine , but who's got the time to police that ?

Who really gives a crap anyway , were not kids in a playground that need to get back at one another .

Try " NOT " responding to a negitive comment instead of egging it on further .

Misery loves company !! did you know that ?

Leave the trolls to boil in there own stew .

Did you ever stop to think that baiting was just as bad ? There is tons of that going on everyday , hell you could even read this post of mine as baiting an argument depending on the mood your in when you read it .

But who really care's what i have to say .

It is a good idea, but would it really help to keep the flames out of the other sections? it seems as though *most* threads start out civil and with good intentions, then something is said which someone does not agree with and it all goes to pot after that.

But an anything goes area would be great for jokes and off topic things so that "General" does not get diluted with OT stuff.