Thanks to Allan Songer

fini

For restoring my vinyl rig by sending me an SME 3009 series II arm, on credit, to replace the (as Allan called it) "POS Black Widow" which was destroyed in a recent accident here at La Casa di fini. It's installed on the Kenwood KD-500, and I promise not to bump, thump, or hump it (are you listening, bkrop??). I still must dial a few things in (antiskating/bias), and on Allan's rec, I will order a set-up LP. All in all, a very enjoyable deal! Great packing and documentation, as well, Allan!!

He Fini, am I to understand that you have a recently purchased K500? Or have had one.

Either way, I have one that I purchased and need any information you could provide. It came with no instructions and the fluid that sits in the little tray for the tone arm spilled everywhere. This my be particular to the arm itself, I have no idea. Even the weight for the cartridge would be nice. My MMF-7 had all the info and I was able to set it up. My K500 has been put on the backburner.

If you can help, I will post tonight when I get home the particulars of the tone arm.

Allan is truly one of the good guys around here. He GAVE me a Teddy Edwards record I had been looking to find for some time. The Jazz Sensei seems to really enjoy spreadin' the word.

Allan, Really sucks about Chuck Niles doesn't it? I've learned almost as much about jazz listening to him the last couple of years as I did being in contact with you. My Jazzaholic in-laws are not optimistic about what direction KKJZ might go with Chuck gone. May he rest in peace.

Regards,

Chris

Bill,

Yes, I have had the KD-500 for some time now. I bought it with the Black Widow attached. They were originally sold without a tonearm, so your damping fluid problem is specific to your tonearm. I recently received a copy of an instruction manual for the KD-500, as well as one for the Black Widow. I'd be happy to mail you a copy of either, or both. PM, email, or reply here with your address. There isn't too much unusual info in the manual, but it is kind of a fun read in a "Japanese-to-English-by-a-non-English-translator" kind of way: "The unit should not be installed where dust and moisture are prevalent and wind passage is ineffective."

BTW, my favorite translated instructions were on the bottom of one of those baby walkers my kids used long ago: "Baby must not be get down from walker." We thought it was some kind of warning about playing James Brown records, or something.

Fini, What did you do with the broken BW? I am looking to lengthen an arm from 9" to 12" probably using titanium tubing. I was planning on using my SME III since the whole arm unplugs form the base, but a BW might work just as well.

Jim N

----------------

On 3/22/2004 1:53:23 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Which set-up record did he recommend? I've got the HiFi news disc on order.

----------------

The HiFi news set up disc is not recommended. You'll find yourself putting excessive antiskating force which was more than what was recommended by the cartridge manufacturer. Few of my friends used this record and their cartridge suspension got damaged and the cantilever gotten off center.

Whereas my Black Widow is cursed, my V15 type IV must be blessed. It was on the bottom of the dogpile that included the upside-down turntable and a 24" square, 1" thick piece of stone! That's some heavy schist!

----------------

On 3/22/2004 3:39:43 PM fini wrote:

Whereas my Black Widow is cursed, my V15 type IV must be blessed. It was on the bottom of the dogpile that included the upside-down turntable and a 24" square, 1" thick piece of stone! That's some heavy schist!

----------------

The V15 survived? That's one hearty SOB! The Timex of turntable accessories! The Samsonite of sound!

The HiFi news set up disc is not recommended. You'll find yourself putting excessive antiskating force which was more than what was recommended by the cartridge manufacturer. Few of my friends used this record and their cartridge suspension got damaged and the cantilever gotten off center.

----------------

I have never had this problem with either DECCA or Ortofon SPU cartridges.

Hold on, maxg, while fini may "know the way to San Jose"... he's still experimenting with that "Kh-WDST" sound... he has the Khorns away from the wall bouncing his Khorn bass bin renderings off of the walls with only the midrange and tweeter horns aimed at the sweet spot! -HornEd

PS: Actually, he has a pile of books to go through before he can free up his "corner" library fixation.

PPS: Great gesture Allan Songer... for a grate jester fini!

(Je ne suis pas fini, fini!)