Reporting Impressions of construction projects

It suddenly just dawned on me that there may be a point where it might be better to reserve impressions of certain kinds of amplifier construction projects for email correspondance. If these were my own projects, such as the Parafeed DRD design I worked on over the Winter holiday, that would probably be a little different. However, if I continue to build a number of kit products by a single company, there may be a more suitable way of sharing those perceptions and impressions than on a Klipsch forum.

I was just pondering the fact that I just completed an SE OTL, and a Grounded Grid and a pair of T16 OTL kits are also soon to be sent to me. This wasn't something I had planned, and just now sort of became aware of the fact that such glowing (and entirely honest)reporting of non-Klipsch products might be more appropriately done in another fashion or forum. I love building amps (yes, it is work, too!)and preamps, as well as sharing my thoughts about the way they sound...to me. I've made an effort to do that in light of my own Klipsch speakers, which are among the few loudspeaker designs available that can actually sound surprisingly powerful on such a low-cal. diet of a single watt.

Moreover, expressions of anger and intolerance of differing viewpoints seem to find nutrition in conflict; and when that sort of thing results in the closing of the 2-channel forum doors (which I happen to believe was exactly the right thing to do), it's simply really unfortunate for those who want to enjoy the possibility of learning from differing ideas rather than use them as a resource for personal verbal warfare.

Gotta disagree, I would rather see all that sort of stuff right here. This is the perfect place for it.

I'm here to learn new stuff. I want to know what certain people think about the "hobby" in all of its various forms, EXACTLY like building amps, speakers, horns and the like. I've learned more here than I have from reading books, some of this stuff simply AIN'T in no book!

I want to know who is who; who can fix my amp if it breaks, who knows about crossovers, who should I ask about what SET kit to buy, etc. Part of this hobby is SHARING...

That is the core of what the hobby and music is all about...

Go for it, tell us what you got!

DM2.gif

Eric,

That flame war was certainly no fault of yours. You enjoy Klipsch speakers and amp building. This forum is exactly where you should let your fellow Klipschsters know what sounds great with Klipsch speakers.

Please don't stop your commentary or blame yourself for the selfish acts of others.

Rick

Erik,

I'd simply want to echo what these other forum members have said. DON'T stop posting on these "non" Klipsch projects.

Cut-Throat is another member who has posted some excellent material on the DRD's, etc.

Posting on different amplifier topologies is most appropriate for the Klipsch forum. I consider it a courtesy that the two of you and others take the time to post on issues relevant to Klipsch users.

For example, after your SE OTL posting, I went over to look at Bruce R's website. I then remembered I'd been there many months ago and it hadn't really gotten my attention. Now I'm interested and even had a conversation on the phone with Bruce to ask him a few questions.

As far as flame wars go. If a couple of members start one because they disagree with a statement you've made... say, "the sky is blue"... well, one can't really feel bad about that. The fact that some people will show their butt for no particular reason is not significant, in my book. Definitely not a reason to refrain from posting of kind of material you bring to the forum.

I'm glad you have thought enough of the forum to ask the question regarding your concern. So the answer to your question..."Should I post this stuff somewhere else?" the answer is "HECK NO!!!" Post it here. What you are offering is clearly appreciated.

BTW, I want to hear about the GG preamp soon!

Well, it might be overkill, but I'd disagree with your reservations as well. As far as Klipsch is concerned, I don't think they would have a problem with it either. Your posts regarding these amps only serve to enhance their product's performance and customer satisfaction.

----------------

On 3/23/2004 6:08:31 PM dubai2000 wrote:

Yes, Dee....you are moving in the right direction
2.gif2.gif1.gif

Wolfram----------------

Indeed! Bruce says it takes one fast preamp to drive the SE OTL!

I can just imagine what my father would say if he were still living: "That amp is as cute as a monkey's a$$... neat, but not gawdy!!!"

Craig:

Don't hold out on the forum, brother. Go ahead and post your tweaks and other discoveries.

Ditto, Erik. I'm a tube noob in training, and I've learned all I know so far on tube amps/preamps from this 2-channel forum. I may not fully grasp the significants of all the various topologies yet, but I would know even less if it wasn't for guys like you (and others here on this Klipsch Forum). I don't think Klipsch has any problems with you or what you're doing; I'm sure they encourage it as well. These tube components are what makes Klipsch loudspeakers sound the way they do...how could Klipsch find fault with that?

Keep on truckin'...4.gif

Well, I didn't expect this much feedback, but appreciate your thoughts and opinions. I had just been concerned about a sort of conflict of interest, or something, if that's how it may have been interpreted. If I overstep the bounds in terms of discussing other amps, I'm sure (or rather hope) someone will let me know. Maybe I'll go back and review what one of our moderators said about all of that...

Thanks for helping me feel better about things,

Erik

Please, all of you above, continue posting your experiences;

As far as I'm concerned, I will take the word of somebody who has HANDS ON EXPERIENCE with the subject at hand over the flamer's any day!

And as a general rule, if it gets flamed by certain people, then it REALLY must be true!

DM2.gif

Erik:

You got me started on replacing the caps in my Scott tuner from comments you made in this forum. I was fairly easy to do with your suggestions and some hand holding by Ryan. I read your comments because they are well thought out and honest. You are not posting them with a vested interest and many of us appreciate your incite.

You like building quality equipment and for those of us who have never tried this, it is good incite into the process and what the finished product will sound like.

Don

Amen! keep posting on all of this homebuilt stuff! I have been interested in OTL amps since reading about the (now unavailable) kit versions of the mighty Atmasphere OTL amps in Listener several years ago. I had seen the Transcendent Sound site at least a year ago and had often wondered how his kit stuff may sound on Klipsch gear. When you build the T-16 please post some impressions. This sort of stuff is an invaluable resource when contemplating different sorts of kit.

Nick.

Eric,

No, no and no again.

I may not understand more than 10% of the technicalities but your contributions are as valid a contribution as anyone's here.

Do not stop posting your impressions of the amps you build, or any other items. If the alternative to having the forum closed down is to restrict conversations solely to Klipsch speakers the forum will die anyway on its own.

I think the lesson from the forum to date is that flames can break out in any thread - and it is rarely related to the original post.

You seem to be reasonably good at all the usual caveats anyway - IMHO, YMMV etc. etc. and anyone being attacked for their opinion reflects on the attacker not on the attacked.

All we need to do is to keep things in perspective. SET Vs. PP debates that blow up into slanging matches are really ludicrous when you think about it.

Especially bearing in mind that other threads that appeared to be total flame bait have passed with more consideration and politeness than anyone could have ever expected...

This forum is most helpful to us newbys. I personally have learned, 1) How to seal my bass bins 2) The difference in crossovers A, AA, AK 2, ALK etc. etc. and different impressions of each 3) Semi false corners 4) Dating Klipsch speakers 5) Transcendent Sound amps. / preamps 6) Which people like to argue and which people are truly helpful. Some folks here are helpful but still like to flame. 7) I have also made some good friends through email

So Erik, Craig etc. etc. Please continue to post your thoughts it is most insightful. All the best, Guy

Here, here. I'm almost a tube noob, so I enjoy reading about other equipment that could make my sytems even better. I'm really excited about some of these home-built ideas; the Blueberry and other fruits from mdeenen, Craig's Scott refurbs and his VRD amps, etc. It's info like this that makes the forum a great place for knowledge.

And like Dee said, Craig, don't hold out on us. If you have good Scott tweaks, your "kids" deserve to know about them! 1.gif