Wal-Mart kicks the krap out of Napster and Musicmatch

Daddy Dee

Cool...I saw Athens and thought to myself...I can relate. I liked living there. Too young to realize what I was in the presence of music scene wise. One of those if I knew then what I know now situations...ya know. Herschel Walker was playing for the Bulldogs when I was there. Talk about your local hero...he was a BIG DEAL.

Someone stated being treated like a criminal while trying to make a retrn at Wal-Mart???!!! Is that a joke? It's been a running joke for many years that Wal-Mart will take back ANYTHING? I've seen a comedian say "I wanna return these diapers...pause...Well the sh*t was already in there. (clerk) Thank you sir, your refund is $6.50." I work for the company that supplies/owns Liquid Audio to Wal-Mart. If I'm not mistaken they're not even MP3's but WMA files. Another refund story. At one of the stores I service this guy came in and said his wife threw away a brand new table he bought there. The store actually gave him a new one.

As for Wal-Marts, they are good for one thing: entertainment on a Saturday night. Honestly, my wife and I have gone at 10-11 pm or so on weekend nights just to "people watch".

DaddyDee: I take it iTunes didn't treat you much better as far as download speeds with dial up? I have a friend who is interested in online music but only has dial-up. I love iTunes but have broadband. Did you try iTunes?

Regards,

Mace

Mace,

You know, I-tunes is one place I haven't explored. I do need to check that out.

Man, today, I'm not having a bad day. dialup isn't bothering me today. Some days, it is irritating as heck.

Used to have cable where I lived before. Now I live in the country. Have seriously considered satellite, but haven't read consistent reviews of folks who like what they get. It cost about $600 up front, 70 or so per month. Then if one cancels before the contract is out. Another 500 0r 600 bucks. Not one satellite service guarantees satisfaction. That is one huge red flag saying it ain't fit for public consumption yet.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 6:27:55 PM synthfreek wrote:

Someone stated being treated like a criminal while trying to make a retrn at Wal-Mart???!!! Is that a joke? It's been a running joke for many years that Wal-Mart will take back ANYTHING? I've seen a comedian say "I wanna return these diapers...pause...Well the sh*t was already in there. (clerk) Thank you sir, your refund is $6.50." I work for the company that supplies/owns Liquid Audio to Wal-Mart. If I'm not mistaken they're not even MP3's but WMA files. Another refund story. At one of the stores I service this guy came in and said his wife threw away a brand new table he bought there. The store actually gave him a new one.

----------------

I had two totally different experiences with returning merchandise to Wal-Mart. The first time, I brought a defective VHS movie - it was a big hassle - as I recall, I had my receipt and everything. All I wanted to do was exchange it for another of the exact same movie! I finally perservered, but I wasn't all that happy.

Then last May, I bought a medium-priced 'Rapala' brand fishing rod at Walmart early one morning on my way to go fishing, to replace one of my old Shimano Fightin' Rod that had given up the ghost after many years of service. Thank goodness Rapala's lures aren't built like their rods. This piece of junk snapped in half while landing my 2nd or 3rd bass of the day. But I took it back to the store on my way home, and they refunded my money instantly, no questions asked.

Perhaps the difference was the location? - the first Wal-mart was in an urban area - the second, where I returned the fishing rod, was in a smaller rural town.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 3:13:41 PM BEC wrote:

As with most CO's we do not share our vendors most of the time...

and as with most speaker co's we buy our parts built to our Engineering standards.

You know of the Eminence, Atlas, EV. B&C.

The parts you ask about come from a vendor in China that we have used for many years.

Klipsch stopped building drivers in the early 90's.

Posted by Trey Cannon 2/20/04

----------------

Which parts are manufactured in China, then?

----------------

On 3/24/2004 6:27:55 PM synthfreek wrote:

----------------

My colleagues that do business with Wal-Mart tell me that often times vendors are forced to pay for returned items plus a processing fee for doing so. Also, many vendors have to pick up items that Wal-Mart can't or have decided not to sell. I don't think "win-win" is in their vocabulary regarding vendor/manufacturer relations. Remember, much of this behavior trickles down to all the employees of Wal-Mart vendors. It has to. Whether we like or not, companies have to make a profit.

Regards,

Chris

Mark,

Appreciate your take and experience on satellite internet. That's encouraging. I'd be interested to know who your provider is and if they do IBM in addition to Mac. Other than the DirecTV service, I've looked at StarBand.

Chris,

What you have described must be what it's like to do business with a 700lb. gorilla. I'm glad my business with Wal-Mart is as a consumer only. It is an interesting, and I think fairly recent, phenomenon for the "middle man" to be squeezed like this. (At least in my very limited observation.) In agriculture, it seems that the middle man is the one fat and sassy. The farmers, dairy producers, and such are the one's who get killed in the market. I'm sure that there are some folks who have an understanding this. Had a friend in patio furniture manufacturing. He'd gotten a contract to produce for Wal-mart, then it fell through. Not all in sour grapes he was somewhat relieved. The length of time between when he purchased (or had suppliers demanding payment) materials, paid for labor and other overhead in order to get his product to Wal-mart and when he would finally get paid was one heck of a challenge to pull off and stay in bidness.

Dee,

I used Direct-PC for a few years as it was all the broadband I could get but gladly gave it up when DSL became available. I am a lot further out in the sticks than you are and was surprised to find out I could get DSL. I just tried one of the internet sites that let you dial in a phone number and the site tells you if you are close enough to a CO. Those things may be anywhere. Very pleased with DSL.

You should really try itunes. The first and best service in my opinion.

Bob

----------------

On 3/23/2004 9:45:50 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

HEY! I shop at Wally World. Or at least my wife does.
2.gif
Only problem is, they are wanting to open a Super Walmart here, which, in a town of only 25,000. instigates a lot of talk about such a store taking out a lot of the "Mom and Pop" places that have been here for years, eliminating quite a few jobs in the interest of convienience and low price. I'm all for Walmart being good on the internet, don't get me wrong, but when they come into a small town offering low paying jobs that eliminate long standing, better paying ones, at what price does progress come? I voted to NOT allow the Super Walmart into our town, though it may have meant some goods could have been purchased at a lower cost than is presently available. I'd rather see the currently employed people keep their jobs. I realize this is kinda off-topic as far as internet downloads are concerned, but the word "Walmart" has a special place in my heart. I've seen what happened to another small town about 3 hours south of me, I don't want to see it happen here. I (or my wife) will continue to shop there, but I don't feel they need to get any bigger in this area than they already are.

O.K. Off my soapbox now. Thank You for letting me rant.

----------------

I can't believe the economics of your town is so fragile that it would be disrupted so by a Walmart coming in. If that is the case a Walmart coming in is the least of the problems that community is facing.JMHO.

Tom

There is already a Wal-Mart here, but they want to open a Super Wal-Mart. Here are a couple links I found that opened my eyes to some of the effects that the Super stores have on local communities. Not exactly "fun" reading, but interesting none the less. It is not our town being discussed in the first one, but the effects remain the same.

http://www.winonafirst.org/info/top9.php

http://www.sprawl-busters.com/caseagainstsprawl.html

http://www.freep.com/money/business/toys17_20040217.htm

I didn't realize how widespread the dislike of Walmart is till I did a quick search.

The less crap I buy from WallyWorld, the happier I am.

On the rare occasions I'm forced to go in there for whatever reason, I do my best to avoid the "electronics" section - it's nauseating looking at all these rednecks scrambling to grab the $75 HTiB "systems" - with their powerful 100 watts total power and mighty side-firing 5" subwoofers...

----------------

On 3/26/2004 9:13:17 AM Griffinator wrote:

The less crap I buy from WallyWorld, the happier I am.

On the rare occasions I'm forced to go in there for whatever reason, I do my best to avoid the "electronics" section - it's nauseating looking at all these rednecks scrambling to grab the $75 HTiB "systems" - with their powerful 100 watts total power and mighty side-firing 5" subwoofers...

----------------

The visualization is very funny!!9.gif

Tom

This should be forwarded to Jeff Foxworthy.

New Redneck Material.

Well, maybe.

My mother kept a spit cup on the ironing board. Does that make me a redneck?

Griffinator,

Come on, haven't you ever had a girlfriend whose hairdo got destroyed in a ceiling fan?9.gif

----------------

On 3/26/2004 9:46:23 AM DaddyDee wrote:

Griffinator,

Come on, haven't you ever had a girlfriend whose hairdo got destroyed in a ceiling fan?
9.gif

----------------

Who? The singer from the B-52's? rock-rock-rock-lobster!

2.gif

RF-3, in a smaller city or rural town, the effect of a new Wal-Mart appearing, on established local merchants can be devastating. There's no way any 'Mom and Pop' store can compete with the price, the selection, or the hours of a new Wal-Mart.

Where I live, I'm surrounded by many small towns - (2000-10,000 in population) Most of these small city/towns used to have thriving business districts. Now many shops are closed/empty. It's not Walmart completely - this slow disintegration started in the 40's and 50's when the automobile became more and more commonplace, continued when shopping malls became popular, and now I'm sure internet purchases add to the woe. It's rather sad to see once thriving stores gone. It's a major societal trend - WalMart is simply taking advantage of normal human desire for convenience. Unfortunately, they don't have the ethics it seems, of a 'Costco', and there's no Costcos in our area.

That's why I try to 'shop local' and avoid national chain stores/restaurants when at all possible. There's something great about walking in an establishment where one is recognized, and appreciated. I'll pay a little more for that. These small stores also contribute something very important - variety! Corporate stores carry the same merchandise, for the most part, whether you're in California or Maine.

Unfortunately, I'm in the extremely small minority. The local furniture store where I bought my new bed a couple years ago is now closed, and the clothing store where I bought my clothes is currently having an 'out of business' sale.

8.gif