updateing driver/woofers

sniper2112

Hi guys and gals,

I am in the process of ordering a set of driver/woofers for my 63 khorns. I have a bad one and I have a question. Do I stick with the 15 inch replacement that Klipsch offers and are they anything like what is in the klf30. I mean what are the replacements made of and what is used in the current production models of the khorns?

Unfortunately I am in a hevy metal stage and dont like to listen to it on the horns but my 20s and 30s are in my Mom's home theater system. (what a good son I am :)

Let me know what you all think and I appreciate it.

Mike

Klipsch replacement woofers for the klipschorn will be the K33E, the one used in the actual klipschorn. Should be perfect for yours but I would order a pair if I was you. Just to keep the sound from left and right matched together!

And, if i may point this out, the klipschorn is way better than the KLF 30, i don't see why it wouldn't work with heavy metal? i listen to loads of rock, electro and techno music on my scalas and they never complained... i even think they're better at it than with classical music...

The K-33E is the current speaker for the K-horn as it has been for a number of years. It was chosen for a good reason too. Stick with the K-33E for the best possible performance. They are about $130 brand new from Klipsch parts, which is a bargain I think.

Give us more detail about your K-horns. What SN, woofer, squawker, tweeter and crossover do they have. With that we can make better recommendations.

If they are 1963 models, there are a few things you should do (or will have to do eventually) to give them higher power handling capacity.

The newest woofer is the K-33-E. It has not changed since the 70s, or before. It has a paper cone and pleated surround and is capable of lasting for more than 30 years in normal service. The K-33-E has been optimized for Klipsch bass horns, there is nothing as good. There are 2 other high dollar alternatives that are acceptable and can absorb much more power. One is sold by Klipsch. The K-33-E is nothing like the woofers in the KLF-30, nor should it be.

John Albright is absolutely on the money, as usual.2.gif

The K33-E is the best performer in Khorns for the money.

I had to prove this to myself, and I did after spending about $900.00, all told. Other at-least-equally-performing alternatives will cost more (at least double). Some require mods to the Khorn cabinet as well as the crossover, so avoid all of the extra work; it really isn't worth it.

What John said.

DM

The date you had is close the "D" indicates that those Khorns are from 1965, they have the Alnico woofers in them as well. If they are working good there is no real reason to replace them. You would have little to gain by changing them to the K-33E if they are still working fine. They are well protected sealed in that bass bin. My '62 Cornwalls have the same woofers in them and they are original and can still pump out the bass which is amazing at 42 years old. You could also have the originals reconed as another option.

Guys I thik there may a be a part missing here. I must of forgot to mention that one of the woofers, in my mind is blown. This is why i am asking about the new woofer. I was told to replace both if I do the one. I am just curious ad was looking for the opinion of all the ech guys.

Mike

----------------

On 3/24/2004 4:11:30 PM sniper2112 wrote:

Guys I thik there may a be a part missing here. I must of forgot to mention that one of the woofers, in my mind is blown. This is why i am asking about the new woofer. I was told to replace both if I do the one. I am just curious ad was looking for the opinion of all the ech guys.

Mike

----------------

Yes, replace BOTH at the same time.

DM

Jon are they a set of twins???? That is cool that you have a set so close to mine, actually it s te other way a round probably. I have only had them for about three years.

Mike

But how do your woofers sound to you? Are you horns amped at all? I am just wondering, I mean they are approaching forty years old now!!! Stilll impressive for a speaker IMO!!!

----------------

On 3/24/2004 6:06:15 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

On 3/24/2004 4:11:30 PM sniper2112 wrote:

Mike

----------------

Yes, replace BOTH at the same time.

DM

----------------

why?

I'd buy a pair of K33Es and leave one aside for a spare.

You will not be able to hear a difference between K33's, leave the other unit alone.

I have K33j(j for jensen).

The jensens can easly handle high power.

I have two the k33 in my old khorns and use to power them with a Phase linear 700 (355 watts per channel).

Never had a k33j blow and there were time that un compressed live rock recoding were played with the 700's metters well past half way (thats well over 100 watts.

very very high spls.

I love the sound of the old jennsens klipsch once used.

If you want to sell the orig kk3j let me know.

Damn!

It would be a misdemeanor, or worse, to molest those K-horns. If you have K-33-Js and they are AlNiCo, I'd recone the bad one and be polite to the whole system. Make sure it is not loose rather than damaged.

Your K-77 tweeters have a 2 watt continuous rating and the 1RB crossover has little protection for them.

If you really want to hammer the K-horns, you need to change the tweeters, woofers and crossovers. If you want to REALLY hammer them, change all of the above, but use K-43 woofers. You'll lose a little low bass, but raise the power limit to about 250 watts.

The K-43woofers are available from Klipsch parts, but be prepared! Last time I checked like 3 years ago they were $300 apiece. The K-77M tweeters can be found on eBay used. I'd get the faulty K-33J reconed if it is faulty, do as suggested check to make sure it is securely mounted to the motorboard. There also might be something rolling or rattling in the bass bin.

I am very sure and would swear by my horns themselves that one of them is bad. I know it is not the connection, the disc,lp and or tape. All the connections on the stereo are nice and tight and the cable is also good and tight to the xover. I can hol my head against the cabinet nd hear it. It sounds bad at the higher levels but when I am just listening to them at working levels I cannot hear it at all.

I will look into having it reconed. Any suggestions?

And forgive me for asking but I keep seeing the name ALNICO appearing all over and who, or what do they have to do with the Klipsch line? I see the x overs going for three and four hundered dollars on some auction sites.

Just trying to get a little smarter day by day.

Mike16.gif

AlNiCo is a high energy magnetic material made from, guess what. It is powerful enough the magnet structure can be much smaller for the same field strength.

Many people think it sounds better than modern ferrite slurry based magnet material. More likely any difference in sound is due to the care used in manufacturing.

I am not too sure if I have Alnico woofers then becaus ethe ones on the Khorns are pigs man. I know that a lot of the car audio and some of the home wooofers I have seen are nothing compared to what I have. But if you say that is what you think I have I will gowith it for now.

Thanks

Mike

Recone that woofer!!! Let the speaker shop run the test numbers on your good woofer then recone the blown one to match. I had a K-33E reconed for $60 - came out great!

Also, the 1965 Khorn may use a different woofer slot sized specifically for the ORGINAL woofer, not the K33E. Somebody here probably knows which slot the '65 Khorn uses. If it is not the K33E sized slot, I wouldn't use a K33E.

Non-original components in your Khorn decreases their value.

Regards,

Andy