A lesson in how not to setup your Khorns

Frzninvt

Check out the photos in this auction. While they look stunning the way he has them placed he never could have enjoyed the way they sounded since they are no where near a corner. I guess some people place more emphasis on looks versus sound. Very sad. Good for potential buyers though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3087035759&category=61378

----------------

On 3/24/2004 4:33:07 PM TBrennan wrote:

Well they'd probably still sound pretty good, better than LaScalas for sure.

----------------

Do you really think so? I had a set in my room that were in a better position than those and lascalas definitely sound better in this situation.

A Khorn not set into a corner still has a longer, larger basshorn than a LaScala so it should still go deeper than a LS though certainly not as low as it could go.

Now seeing as a Khorn and an LS are identical save for the size of the basshorns I figger a Khorn not in a corner would sound like a LS but with a little bit better bass.

However I could see a LS sounding different than a Khorn through the mids and bass because the treble horns of the LS are placed lower, to a seated person an LS might be hotter on axis.

Hmmmm, perhaps what people really need to do to mod their LSs isn't crossover changes, mid horn changes and rope-putty; maybe they just need to mount the treble horns a foot or so higher.

"...perhaps what people really need to do to mod their LSs isn't crossover changes, mid horn changes and rope-putty; maybe they just need to mount the treble horns a foot or so higher."

Maybe just sit them on some concrete cinder blocks?

I still think some modded AAs or ALKs are a must.

OMG my 1000th post!!!!!!

Ebay Jack added.....

PLEASE NOTE: These speakers as pictured are not placed in the room corners as I know they should be.I have recieved numerous email's regarding this,the room layout does not allow corner placement,the same situation with my new house,consequently I reluctantly must sell them.Thanks to everyone who has pointed out the non corner placement to me, but I am astutely aware of the major loss of bass not using these speakers in corners.Jack

---------------------------------------------------

I wonder how many of the people on here messaged him..LOL.

His room lay out even with say 1" MDF or if necessary an Oak veneer trim 36 inches out on the sides would have sounded great and he could have kept em. (And still firing straight out.) I know of a guy here in Indy that bought K horns for $600. for the pair. Beautiful 1979 Oiled Walnut, cause the other person who go them had them 3 feet out from any walls...in a large famliy room facing forward like most esoteric speakers are usually placed, and heard little or no bass too. THAT was a steal!!

If you do not have corners no biggie...Make false ones!!

Congrats IndyKlipschFan, the first thousand are the hardest! -HornEd

PS: In most situations, "false corners" produce a better result than "real" corners. PWK used false corners. My hero, Q-man has built more false corners than most... but I am trying to catch up with six in the making as we connect. False corners allow a flexibility in placement and an opportunity for reinforcement that standard house corners just can't meet. Khorns are an opportunity for false corners to be true.