greg928gts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greg,

fantastic work!!! and excellent idea to flush mount the horns and dissociate the top bin from the bass bin on the Rosewood Scala.

Nice car too... looks like people who like great speakers also like great cars. Probably because they like great engineering... 1.gif

Frans

A picture is worth a thousand words, love the story, looks like a production line

page five, page five!

Future owner? I thought this was a labor of love who else would go to such trouble? Looks like a visit to the Klipsch factory, love the PWK emblems on the front, who is the professional photographer? Just stunning.

I am planning to mount Aztec 511B and Beyma CP25s on top of each other on the Khorn bass bin. I would remove the upper chamber, but keep the pentagon-shaped top plate. I want to make a removable cover that lifts off. This would be a frame, with the top as the lid, to set over the horns, with the grill clothe would wrap around the frame. The cover for the upper chamber would look the same as it does now on Khorns, except that it simply lifts off and the metal horns inside are higher in height.

If I sent you the pentagon top lid, you would frame in the top and wrap it with black grille clothe. What would you use for grille clothe? Does it match the existing grille clothe on the sides? How many hours do you estimate? This might NOT be for several months yet, but how long is the waiting list?

6.gif

• 2 months later...

New photos are up.

Custom La Scalas

Man, I don't think this project is ever going to end. I knew, with my schedule, if this project spilled into the summer that it would take forever! I'm glad the future owner of the oak ones is patient.

Colin - contact me about the frame and grill cloth, sorry I didn't respond earlier. gregroberts@adelphia.net

Greg

huh,what did you say? Speak up, I can't hear you.

Just imagining how they sound while you are working on them.

I am doing a little glass project and moved my Heresys to my shop. I think the wife came out a couple of times and said something. hehehe

They are looking great. I love it when I see this thread pop back up to the top. You are going to have to start another project just to give us something to look forward to.

Got paid today!! Party at my house! The Oak ones are definately sold. Hope to get them shipped out next week. Crating them up should be fun.

Mandi - actually, they don't sound all that good in that room, very honky. I'm pretty sure it's the room though, lot's of reflections, nothing to absorb the sound. Two sound better than all four playing together, and just about as loud. I should find a rug to put down in there so they sound better, but they'll be history soon.

Actually, I may bring a pair into my living room so I can be sure that it's the room and not some weird thing with the crossover or something out of phase. I was very careful about phase while assembling them. I can't imagine why they wouldn't sound almost as awesome as my Khorns.

Greg

I found the oak veneer to be very difficult to work with because of all the cross-grain. The glue really sunk into the wood a lot and when I heated the piece with the iron, it shrunk big time. I had a lot of cracks, and it was very difficult to get it to set everywhere. By contrast, rosewood was much easier, the glue doesn't sink into it as much.

The oak didn't take the stain very well either, probably because the wood was full of glue!

The oak is beautiful though, and very rare, as they never made factory oak La Scalas. Of course I don't think there are too many rosewood La Scalas kicking around either!2.gif

Should I keep this thread going as I finish the rosewood ones, or should I start a new thread?

Greg

Start a new one. Makes it easier on the server instead of having to re-write the whole topic when somebody posts.

How did you do with that wipe-on Poly finish? There's an article about it in the current Fine Woodworking magazine. I'm seriously thinking about using it my Khorns instead of getting involved in a big lacquer spraying project. I'm concerned about the safety issues around spraying lacquer and its' thinner in my garage. Check out that article, it's good. What do you think about using it on '60 Mahogany Khorns?

Tom - I didn't like the wipe-on poly as much this time, but I don't really know why not. I still think it's a nice product and I'll use it again on something, but I would recommend you try it on something else first before doing your vintage Khorns.

I know what you mean about the spray lacquer. It's really an artform to get the mix and sprayer working just right. You also need to have just the right space to work in with proper lighting and ventilation. It's a lot of work. Brush on lacquer has not worked all that well for me either, especially on large areas.

For my next project, I may look into using a different brand of polyurethane brushed on. The trick is to find something very clear like lacquer, but with better working time.

Greg

Greg where do you buy your grill clothe from? And definitely keep this thread going....Please! Your work is beautiful. However your battles with the oak veneer are a bit troublesome to me as I was entertaining the idea of re-veneering my three La Scala's in Oak. What type of adhesive did you use? I love the oak look, do you have any recommendations for something that may be easier to work with but yield a similar grain appearance.

J4 - I get the grill cloth from Wendell Fabrics.

I used the technique of using waterproof wood glue and a household iron. You can learn more about this by clicking here.

You could try using zebrawood, it's similar to oak and I found it much easier to work with. I suppose there are other types of oak or different cuts that may work better to. My source for veneer is Certainly Wood.

Good luck.

I think I'll start a new thread when I get back on the rosewood La Scalas.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...