Ebay Question

RIGGED25

I'm in a quagmire of sorts.

Can a seller charge whatever he wants for shipping fees?

I purchased a pair of speakers 3 months ago and the shipping/handling(Ohio) fees were $24. Now, I'm being billed for $67(Massachusetts)for the same speakers!

Am I at the seller's mercy?

RIGGED

It depends on what was stated in the auction description and shipping information. If it was a flat rate of $24 then you should not have to pay anymore than that. However, if it said winning bidder is responsbile for all shipping costs than they are in line. If you got quoted $24 and it jumped to $67 then that is a problem. Re-read the auction terms and then determine where to go from there. Do you have the link?

It said winner is responsible for shipping/handling charges so I guess I'm screwed. There has to be some kind of limit as to how much a seller can charge. I mean, they can't charge $1,000 for shipping on a radar detector right? Has anyone else had this kind of problem before?

RIGGED

Get the originating zip code that the speakers are being shipped from, from the seller, In addition, get the carton dimensions and weight, plug in your ship-to zip code and the appropriate amount of insurance (if applicable) and you should be able to determine easily if you are being over-charged. This can be easily accomplished on the web for all the major carriers (UPS, FEDEX, USPS, etc.) If you are overpaying ask what and where the additional charges are coming from? If they fail to provide you the information that you request (which is more than fair to ask) I would take it from there.

Shipment Date: Monday,March 29, 2004

Bill to UPS Account: Yes

Total Shipment Weight: 30 lbs.

Drop-off / Pickup: Drop Off - I will drop off my package at any location accepting UPS packages

Address Type: Residential

Number of Packages: 1

Packaging: Your Packaging

Customs Value: Not Entered

Currency: USD

Package Information

Service Packages

UPS Ground - zone 7 Guaranteed by: By End of Day

Monday

April 5, 2004

Charges Per Package 25.50

Shipment Total:25.50USD

Looks like I'm being charged $42 for his time to package.

I guess the guy has a degree in the packagerial arts.

RIGGED

I would most certainly contact him and find out where the additional $42 in shipping charges are coming from at the very least and see if he can account for it. If not I smell Neutral or Negative feedback for being over charged on shipping.

I should of known better when it took the guy over 4 days to respond.

"Hi RIGGED, Sorry for the delay but I been working a lot. My address is below and I will send you the shipping charges today via e-mail. This is my first time shipping something. You will definitely hear from me today. Thank you"

Ah ha! I can't believe I missed it, the guy has never shipped before.

I'm sending him an email now in the hope we can resolve this matter.

Oh, one more thing, he has only 1 feedback. lol

RIGGED

RIGGED,

I agree with Frzninvt. Talk to the guy and if you still feel he was less than fair, leave neutral feedback and mention that the S&H fees were much higher than expected.

In the future always e-mail a seller and ask about the S&H charges. Some sellers charge for packing & supplies (reasonable) and some figure to make a few extra dollars on it, (questionable but within their rights). If the charges seem out of line, don't bid or negotiate befor you do.

You learned a lesson here. Shipping cost is one the things that you discuss before biding. I ask about eight standard questions on the items that I bid on. I also don't ask all of them at once. I try to send a min. of three emails to the seller. By doing this I also am testing his patience and seeing how prompt the seller is on answering my questions. The more expensive the item the more questions and emails. I usually feel like I know the person fairly well when I bid on items over a grand.

I am dealing with a guy who wants $5.00 for packaging plus $10 for shipping 22 capacitors. I told him that's quite high for a plastic bag and a free Priority mail box! But, I still have to send him the extra sawbuck. I feel some unkind words coming his way in the feedback.

Did your guy take the speakers to a UPS Store or the like for packageing? They charge an arm and a leg for cr@p. One guy I bought some Altec horns from paid Like $40 to one of those stores and all they did was put a bunch of empty Fed Ex boxes in a big box around the horns for cushioning! Imaging UPS using Fed Ex boxes? Cheaper than filling the dumpster I guess.6.gif

Rick

m00n, yes there is a listing fee if in addition to a final value fee if and when the item sells. There are additional fees for various extras.

I agree with Q-Man, I always email a seller several times during the auction to get additional info, even if additional info isn't required. I like to ask some questions that I already know the answer, just to see what the seller says. If I am really interested in the item I will tell the seller that I am really interested and that I intend to bid at the end of the auction to discourage them ending the auction early with for another offer. I always discuss 'handling fees' up front as well as shipping fees. When I find a seller that is using UPS with a flat shipping, and they are only a state ot two away, I ask if I really have to pay the same shipping as if the package is going across the country. 'Good' sellers will give me a reduced shipping fee based on their actual cost, if they won't I'll keep looking...

I could go on, but...I have to have some secrets 12.gif

As someone who sells frequently on ebay, there are several fees you pay to sell something on ebay. You pay a listing fee, a final value fee, buy it now fee if you use it, reserve fee if you use it. Then when someone pays via paypal, they get their cut. Then there is time, materials, etc. I have sold several DVDs for $5.00, and charged $5.00 shipping. I send via priority mail, which costs $3.85, but all things considered, I just about break even. I do, however, state the shipping charge on the auction. You always get the guy who wants to negotiate shipping AFTER he buys it, which kind of Peeves me off as a seller, because I feel if you don't agree with the terms of the auction, don't bid. If you go to a place like Mailboxes, etc. they charge a lot more than going directly to UPS, which might be what this guy did. If it was me though, and I told you $24 and it cost me $50something, I would just suck it up and remember to charge more next time.