For Sale: upgraded RF-7 crossovers

Deang

I guess I should have originally posted this here, since most two-channel loons are old-school.

$425, including trade in of your old boards.

Don't worry about "timbre matching", they will still be RF-7s. However, I would do the RC-7 for $200.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=30854&

no not cost... I mean design. My assumption is that a center channel would have a special type of crossover design. Is that true? If so, have you ever considered designing one for people such as myself who use a RF7 as a center channel.

m00n,

You do NOT want any difference in your center RF-7 IMO. You want a perfect timbre match with the right and left RF-7s which is to say you want an identical crossover IMO.

The RC-7 uses a tapered array to minimize lobeing, i.e., minimize uneven off axis response due to the horizontal alignment of the drivers. With drivers in a vertical configuration, there is no problem with lobeing worth talking about.

Bill

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:02:26 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

m00n,

You do NOT want any difference in your center RF-7 IMO. You want a perfect timbre match with the right and left RF-7s which is to say you want an identical crossover IMO.

The RC-7 uses a tapered array to minimize lobeing, i.e., minimize uneven off axis response due to the horizontal alignment of the drivers. With drivers in a vertical configuration, there is no problem with lobeing worth talking about.

Bill

----------------

Bill, thanks... I thought that a center speaker might have a different crossover design or different specs...

Dean sorry man... didn't mean to hijack your thread. 4.gif

Bill is right.

The crossover design for the RC-7 was designed by Klipsch for that particular cabinet, port sizes, as well as those particular drivers and their alignment.

I still think "timbre matching" is something that is achieved by making sure all of the drivers in the system are of the same type.

Dean - a few questions please:

----------------

On 3/30/2004 4:08:19 PM DeanG wrote:

Bill is right.

The crossover design for the RC-7 was designed by Klipsch for that particular cabinet, port sizes, as well as those particular drivers and their alignment.

I still think 'timbre matching' is something that is achieved by making sure all of the drivers in the system are of the same type.

----------------

Please clarify the above - you're saying that someone with a pair of RF-7's and an RC-7 should get new crossovers for all 3 speakers for proper 'timbre matching' ???

Have you actually tested your crossover on an RC-7 and achieved/heard the same improvements as you did on the RF-7 ???

----------------

On 3/29/2004 5:20:41 PM DeanG wrote:

You mean cost? The same. I figure anyone willing to do three should get some kind of a break.

----------------

The above is saying you will do all 3 speakers for $425 ???

Once you receive our boards, how long does it take until we get them back from you ???

If 2nd day or overnight return shipping is requested, what is the additional cost ???

This is probably a dumb question, but I assume this mod will void the warranty with Klipsch ???

LOL, man, I love this forum software. Well, that was one hell of a long post -- somehow reduced to my most intimate thoughts. 9.gif

Looks like I have to rewrite the whole thing. Not until tomorrow though!

Got the email Scott. Something coming your way soon.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:07:58 PM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

May In ask what these crossovers would do for me?

Jerry Rappaport----------------

Well? How about it? They Sure look cool, and very tempting, but I'd like some feedback on performance, though.

Maybe that's what your blank post was about?

Well, the blank post WAS like what's written below. For whatever reason, when I submitted it -- it came up empty.

Let's try again.

Please clarify the above - you're saying that someone with a pair of RF-7's and an RC-7 should get new crossovers for all 3 speakers for proper 'timbre matching?

John -- no, thats not what Im saying. Technically, timbre is associated with pitch In HT, the main concern is making sure the speakers are all of the same type. Basically, we want to make sure the speakers being used together have drivers made of the same materials so that they have a similar voicing, or signature. This way, we get a blending effect, instead of having one or more of the speakers sticking out like a sore thumb.

We change out amplifiers, and some of you even run different amps, by different manufacturers to power the various speakers in your setup. Now, different amps do sound different from each other, and the speakers perform differently depending on what is driving them -- but the voicing or signature of the speaker stays the same. The same thing can be said about changing out processors (preamps) and sources. The sound changes, but you still recognize the sound of your speakers. Upgrading the quality of the parts in your crossover has the same effect as upgrading any other component in the chain as long as the values in the circuit arent significantly changed. My RF-7s were still RF-7s after I made the upgrades but the sound was considerably cleaner.

Have you actually tested your crossover on an RC-7 and achieved/heard the same improvements as you did on the RF-7

No, I havent. However, there is no reason to believe they wouldnt respond just as favorably to the upgrades. Ive rebuilt three sets of Dahlquist DQ-10s, done these upgrades on a complete JBL HT system, some JBL S109s, a host of Advents, Fortes, KG5.5s, and the RF-7s. The result is always the same.

The above is saying you will do all 3 speakers for $425

No. What I meant was that I would do an RC-7 for less than the price of an RF-7 as part of a package deal. The pair at the top of the thread are selling for $425, and I suppose if someone wanted an RC-7 done too I would be willing to the three for $600. Im including an option in my pricing to only have the high frequency part of the circuit upgraded, which drops the price substantially.

Once you receive our boards, how long does it take until we get them back from you?

I can do a set of boards in one evening. I do most of this kind of work on Tues, Thurs, Fri, and Saturdays. I enjoy doing it, so I tend to get to it as soon as I can. Basically, the crossovers spend more time in shipping than they do on my workbench. Right now however, one doesnt have to wait, they can order these, put them in, and then send me their old boards.

If 2nd day or overnight return shipping is requested, what is the additional cost

Of course, that cost is totally dependant on what part of the country they are being sent to. If a person wants to do this, thats fine with me but I would bill accordingly. I have a few buy return shipping up front, and include the return shipping label with the crossovers.

This is probably a dumb question, but I assume this mod will void the warranty with Klipsch

Not a dumb question at all, and you assumed correctly. Sure, it voids the warranty, and that has to be the official answer. However, Klipsch is a class act, and Im sure they would cover anything that wasnt related to the crossover work. For example: problems with the cabinet (like veneer peeling off, or some defect), or a possible mechanical problem with a driver unrelated to it being overdriven or abused). My experience is that Klipsch takes things on a case by case basis, and typically make decisions while using all of their brain cells. At any rate, I test all of my parts before I use them, and the likely-hood of anything happening is slim to none.

"May In ask what these crossovers would do for me -- Jerry Rappaport

Well? How about it? They Sure look cool, and very tempting, but I'd like some feedback on performance, though. Maybe that's what your blank post was about? Toddvj

Heres some reading material for you that might help.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=46038

http://ldsg.snippets.org/appdx-ec.php3#CAPS

---------------------------------------------

DeanG wrote:

Im including an option in my pricing to only have the high frequency part of the circuit upgraded, which drops the price substantially.

----------------------------------------------

What are the details of this high frequency option? How much? How is it different from the above listed upgrade?

"What are the details of this high frequency option? How much? How is it different from the above listed upgrade?"

I don't change out the capacitor and inductor in the low frequency circuit, and only replace the parts in the high frequency part of the circuit. This upgrades the critical part of the crossover. The ears are much more sensitive to improvements in the midrange and treble, and besides -- most of you run subwoofers -- so any benefit from the LF upgrade may not even be audible.

Also, based on this discussion -- http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=47571 -- there is the possibility that I may drop the use of air core inductors on the woofer anyways. I'm starting to think the iron cores are fine for this application, and don't see much sense in changing out a part that's doing a more than an admirable job.

So, to do just the HF section of the crossover, the prices look like this, and the price includes parts, labor, and return ground shipping.

RF-7 with Kimber capacitors: $279.00

RF-7 with AudioCap PPT Thetas in series with the tweeter, and Kimber capacitors in the notch circuit: $412.00

If you would like to have the LF section of the RF-7s done (with Kimbers) -- add $87.00 to the total price

You can see the prices for the Kimber and Audiocap PPT Thetas at the Parts Express website: www.partsexpress.com I won't say what the values in the crossover are, but will only say they're not small. :)