Dream Theater - (no not the band)

m00n

Ok.. Time for anohther one of m00n's dumb and useless posts...

Something Joe Shmoe said in another thread.... He said something about winning a $1,000,000.00. Thus my question.

If you had $1,000,000.00 to spend on your Dream Theater.... What would you do with it? Think about

Speakers

Receiver or sepparates

Speaker wire / cables

Would you stay with Klipsch

How big of a room

Shape of room

What about decor

Accoustic treatment

Video

Would you oversee it all or have a contractor come and do it all

etc....

Or would you say to hell with it all and buy a modest house in Hawaii and live the good life the rest of your days? No! You can't have both. 11.gif

And to make it a little more interesting... Any money you don't spend on your theater, you MUST give back.

Just curious to see what everyones home theater heaven is.

Well, I have had this thought before. I would get 7 RF-7. Well, I like them I can't help it. 7 Pass Lab X 600 mono block amps. Posibly a Krell Home Theater 7.1 pre-amp or a Sunfire Theater Grand IV Pre-amp. A room 10 by 20 feet all prewired and a seperated room in the back to give plenty of space to connect everything. I love my RSW-15 so one of those. A Revel B15. Aerial Acoustics SW12. We can't leave the SVS B4-Plus out of this can we, so one of those. And I suppose a Velodyne DD-18. Because I like the drivers, A DIY Stryke AV15 sub tuned to 20 HZ. I would also get a painted wall for my projector and use a top of line RUNCO. I've seen one of models running and liked it. Wires, I guess I could use monster cable but only the lower models. Possibly 16-12 gauge. Anything else? I guess I could got a bit farther. AC conditioner and a 50 amp circuit for just that one room. Even get one of those higher end ac outlets. I guess thats it. I suppose I can add to my list later. So hows that mOOn?

CD

If I had a million I would design a theater that holds 9 people 3 rows of 3 stadium style seats that were very wide with arms that slid in and out for comfort. Seats would be 18 inches apart read on.

The seats would be situated as to support a 18 x 32 inch table in front of it for food.

Each seat would have its on refridge under the a55 cushion, hence the 18 inches plus it would allow people to easily move about.

large screen of course

The back wall would be a false wall and behind it another section to host a hold/cold buffett and bar

massaging seats

also have multiple screens and projector that lower so 3 sporting events could be watched simultaneously on their own large screen.

At my set I would have a laptop that folds into the arm rest, like on planes, and a 42 inch plasma screen below the main screen so I could surf the web if needed.

for my audio portion of my "dream" system, i would probably start with the top line jbl synthesis hercules system....

http://www.jbl.com/home/synthesis/productlist.asp?SerId=Syn8&prodId=SYN-HERCULES

that only takes up $109,100.....

probably barco projector..... about $60,000....

seating and room treatments.... $25,000 or so...

then build an $800,000 house around the home theatre room....

I would pay off all of my bills. Then i would find a nice beach location to build or buy a small home and put a nice two channel setup in it. Then use the rest of the money and invest wisely and try to live off of the interest. Then with the money check out the night life and go to the local theaters. Just get out and enjoy life awhile. Maybe if i made enough money from what i invested i would eventually build a theater. I would run Klipsh's give it the aragon treatment. I might as well go all klipsch. Then it would be all wall to wall carpet were talking royal blue. Some Drapes All cotton seats as comfortable as tshirts. I would have to go with the largest front projecter i could make or buy. I would have beer and soda on tap along with popcorn and nacho and cheese. Candy bars and all the goodies. I would go with some US made signal cables for everything. I probally would go with rf-7 all away around stragtecally placed. Or la scalas. Then i would have three 18 inch earthquake subs stacked in each corner. The shape of the room would somewhat resemble a regtagle that you would be looking down the length of it. Every week i would dedicate one night to a rock concert. Something like saturday or friday. The entire room would be pretty much fabric of black and royal blue. Then if people started to dig it. Well then i just might build another one and another one. Next thing you know i am in business.

If I won a mil, I probably wouldn't invest a huge chunk into The Home Theater. I would be thinking more about A Nice House, Car, Boat, etc. Yes, I would buy some audio equipment but...

If I got the money on the condition that I only buy HT equipment, I don't even know where I'd begin. I'd definitely start with a High-End CRT projector, or maybe a Dual CRT System, I'd probably look at some Krell equipment (The only Real High end stuff I'm remotely familiar with) and maybe some Martin Logan Statements (Haven't heard them myself, but have heard they are the most incredible thing you've heard.) Of course I'd have to sink some of the money into the Wiring/Structure of my house to support these things. I'd also make sure I had a Dedicated Two-Channel Room for music. Sorry guys, but there might not be any Klipsch speakers.

Separate home theater room, no question - Probably seating 4 wide and 3 rows deep, stadium style. Lots of room on the sides so you're not sitting on your surround speakers. I like the idea of the reclining chairs with plenty of room. Acoutisc room treatments would certainly be done.

Maybe the boring answer, but RF-7's all around in a 7.1 set up (likely a pair of surrounds on each side and a pair behind). Lexicon processors powered by...hum, tough one. Seen some pretty sweet Classe amps, but I'd have to research and do better than that - don't want to return too much money!

Overhead digital projection light-box and an enormous screen of course. Probably spend about $10k on a DVD player, though I don't know that could possibly offer over the $1k variety.

Since I still have a lot of money left, how about overhead built-in refrigerated beer kegs with taps running to each chair. Why get up for a beer when you can have it free-flowing to you? 9.gif

Don't know about cables. Would certainly avoid main stream brands and spend far more than I would ever hear in return. Would oversee the construction myself. Not that I would know what I'm doing, but I'll know what I like when I'm doing it.

Damn, someone just woke me up. That was a nice little dream...

I think I would open a bed and breakfast or brew and view which contained one slammen theater. The theater would be about 30' wide, about 50' long. I would pack it with Klipsch cinema gear and what ever the absolute top of the line equipment would be powering them.

There would be about 20 seats, yes lots of room. These would be posh cozy seats. Every seat would would have transducers, the floor would have buttkicker2 transducers (<--too much for seats, i think).

Would have a team of professionals come in and treat the room and make an audio perfect environment, well as close to perfection as possible.

Decor would be old regal style.

There would be a resturaunt for guests, a full bar in the back of the theater.

I like bruinsrme's idea of laptop.. Each seat would contain a LCD screen, keyboard and mouse so you could surf the net.

Only the best DVD player and Projector as well as screen.

Thats what I'm thinking at first anyway. More may come later.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 12:28:42 AM Darren wrote:

Since I still have a lot of money left, how about overhead built-in refrigerated beer kegs with taps running to each chair. Why get up for a beer when you can have it free-flowing to you?
9.gif

----------------

Hey just think, if you added cathaders, you would'nt have to get up to pee either. 9.gif

On 4/1/2004 1:03:20 AM wheelman wrote:

Minn that's funny, but would we have to plug our nose's and breath through our mouths?

no... included in the million dollars is an excellent ventilation system and fragrance dispensing system...

for example...

graveyard_1775_55648065

Lentek International introduces their newest product line, Inscentable. Inscentable is a home fragrance system allows you to create the appropriate aromatic environment for your entire home with a flick of a single switch. When you plug in the attractive tabletop unit, it circulates warm, inviting fragrances throughout the house with minimal effort and without the mess or potential fire hazard of candles incense or oils. Can be turned on and off, allowing you to easily adjust the intensity of the aroma. Covers up to up to 1500 square feet. Simply place the Inscentable unit in a central area of the house, drop in a fragrance cartridge, plug unit in, switch to 'on', and enjoy the delightful fragrance of Inscentable!

covers up to 1500 sq feet.... m00n's 30' x 50' room!!!!!

----------------

On 4/1/2004 1:11:36 AM minn_male42 wrote:

On 4/1/2004 1:08:33 AM wheelman wrote:

LOL put some padding on them bad boys and maybe we'll be in business.

hey......just get a custom designed lid that happens to be from a lazyboy recliner and you'r set!!!
6.gif

----------------

Everyone hold on just a minute while i sh!te myself. Ahhhhh ok you may resume the movie.9.gif