Music you just don't "get"

gtDark

More like this...

In Celtic music, the male singer always has a high nasal voice and sings something like "Down round the shipping yard, the lass did look upon me, I cast her a stare, raised my Kilt, and had her then and there."...

Um yess..that depends on your definition of "had her" sir...

I assure you I meant no harm...(back into song..) "So then I chased her once again, I did, you know we meant no harm... I chased her up in the loft, I did, and we did it in the barn" ....LOL..

Um again the definition of "IT" sir... I think we are ok on the BB here...

Who knows? Maybe this is what the lyrics need.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 4/9/2004 10:29:13 AM Griffinator wrote:

I think types like Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death et al are what he's referring to. High-speed powerchords plus barking/screaming = noise....

----------------

What I was saying is that I just don't remember any of those bands having "Big Hair." When I think big hair, I think of bands like Poison, Warrant, Winger, etc.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 2:40:11 PM gtDark wrote:

Anyone have any particular music artist that you just “don’t get?” That is, some band or singer that many people appreciate but you just don’t find enjoyable or live up to how highly others tout them? I know several people on this board feel this way about Norah Jones. I personally don’t “get” R.E.M. and A Perfect Circle. I like Maynard, I like Tool, and all my music tastes dictate that I
should
like APC, but I just don’t like them. I’ve tried to like it too, but to no avail. Anyone else?

PS: Didn't take long for the Iraq thread to get nuked
11.gif
, saw that one coming.

----------------

I don't get R.E.M.. I like tool and i also like a perfect circle. Although not as much, but they do have some great tunes. Just not all of them. Where as most the tool songs are good. I really didn't care for it to much at first. Like alot of people anticipate another tool sound which is wrong. I shouldn't of looked at it like that. But they took forever to come out with another tool album. But once i listen to it for what it is. I started diggin about half of the tunes. I like about half of the tunes on the new one. The ones that are good are really good. And the ones that suck just plain suck.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 11:49:48 PM space_cowboy wrote:

The reason you "don't get it" is because most of you don't have any formal music training,

----------------

Oh, I see. I guess since you seem to be the one so enlighted with your "formal music training", only you should tell all the rest of us uninformed masses as to what music should be considered "good" or not.

I know what I like and I'll be damned if somebody comes on here and tries to tell me that what I like or not like is "wrong" because I do not have some magical knowledge of music that only "formal training" seems to provide. Also, where does it say that I have to be a musicion to appreciate music? For the matter, I have gotten some formal music training while in college. I took some classes on general music appreciation as well as some music theory. Big f'ing deal! So I may know some insite as to why a composer/writter/band written a piece of music, but that still does not mean that I have to like it. There is some music that I just simply do not like, regardless of how well it may be performed and/or written. Rap is the biggest example. Most Country and Western likewise (although there is some that I can enjoy).

Although I like to listen to a lot of Metal, there is some of that I cannot stand. Mostly that "speed metal" where the vocalist seems to spend most of the time screaming into the mic. I prefer something a bit more sophistated than that, such as that done by Stratovarious and even Queensryche, with thier very complex guitar work and some beautiful melodic vocals. Throw in some orchestal parts as common with Stratovarious, and you end up with some surprisingly sophisticated and very good souding music.

There is some music/artists that I very much "get", but just do not like at all, such as Barry Manilow and most of that other very sappy to the point it is annoying slow/soft rock you often hear on the "Muzak" systems, at McDonalds or the supermarket. I'd rather play it HARD and play it LOUD!

I'm with Steve 100% here. No one can tell me that my choices in music are due to my lack of formal education in music. (Oh yeah, maybe they can) Granted, my limited exposure to certain types of music can definitely cause me to have a narrow field of vision. But, to me music is like color, I see/hear something and it makes me happy.

Perhaps, my lack of training makes me less critical and more receptive to new sounds. In the long run, any music that moves me, makes me happy, or makes me feel something new...does not require the validation of experts.

I AM THE ONLY EXPERT REQUIRED.