Upgrade....6.1 or 7.1

G2klipsch

Great. Another quality forum that I want to be part of. The wife will be soo happy.

I'm seeing more and more 6.1 encoded movies. My older Yamaha receiver will only do a matrixed 6.1 and since I have another use for it...I can justify the upgrade. The question is how much, if at all, will I benefit from a 7.1 system -vs- a 6.1?

I have a large great room with a high peaked ceiling and a drywalled 9' high shelf that runs the whole perimeter of the room. My RS-3's are mounted on the face of the shelf which is the same thickness as the height of the speaker. Looks like it was planned that way. I am very pleased with the diffuse sound of this set-up but would buy a monopole center or rear set for the upgrade. I'm leaning more toward the 6.1/center rear since the RR in a 7.1 might be too close to a corner and be hard to "minimize". A center rear may be better for my furniture placement.....or not. Any and all input is appreciated. 1st post, haven't even had time to lurk.

Yamaha HTR-5280

RF-3 pair

RC-3

RS-3 pair

NHT sub amp

2 home built subs, down 3dB @ 28 Hz

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but to get 7.1 the receiver takes the

same surround signal and send it to another pair of surround speakers.

So to me unless you have a very large room (i.e. > 20'x20')or a very

large back wall 6.1 is all you need. In addition, I have not heard

of any formatt on the horizon beyond DD-EX and DTS-ES.

Yeah, Boomer, I'm still in the land of 5.1 also, and it doesn't bother me in the least. I can find little compelling reason to upgrade the current unit (Krell HTS), because it sounds sooooo good. It has more basic features than some current units, but is almost flawless in executing those features it does have. What features the Krell has are the important stuff - seamless crossovers, excellent quality video circuits, speaker distance adjustments, KILLER bass response and detail, while yet smooth up top, and the DTS?????? WHOOOOOOAAAAA9.gif

I'll have a real hard time beating the sound quality of this beast in a 6/7.1, without spending 5K. I'll keep the sound over the extra channel, me thinks.

It's worth going to 6.1 over 5.1. Myself I don't have room for to 2 Cornwalls in the back but if I did I would jump to 7.1 in a minute. And on the Krell I can see your point but if you sell your preamp you may be half way to a new krell. But that may open a whole new can of worms. I'm now looking to take down a wall to make room for Cornwalls on the sides in place of the Heresys I have now. And to think I was happy when I was running 5.1. So one upgrade can snowball out of control with other upgrades, but it sure is fun. Don't get me wrong it sounds good now but wouldn't 7 Cornwalls sound better, see what I mean.

G2,

I have to agree with Boomer; 7.1 isn't available from a source right now, so I see no advantage to adding the speaker. I reduced my 7.1 to 6.1 partially for that reason. It's nice to have a 7.1 receiver to use when the format is produced, but the extra speaker gives little-to-nothing now, IMHO.

SSH

Thanks for all responses.

The main reason to upgrade for me is to increase the enveloping surround (acoustic bubble :P) for the less than optimal seating/furniture placement. Not so much for the source material. The room is big enough to benefit from a speaker on that back wall. Plus...it frees up that "old" receiver for that dream outdoor theater with three SA-3's across the front, that drop-down rear projection screen, some sort of LCD or DLP rear projector (still looking) so I can sit in the pool hot tub while getting that drive-in movie feeling on LOTR night. Can't take it with you....

G2