UPDATED PICS!!!! Cornwall Restoration!!!!

jorjen

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for the kudos fellas!

Mdeneen,

Little by little since the first part of December. It really should not have taken as long as it did, but I can get pretty anal when working on something like this. I guess I need to get over that to a certain extent if I wish to continue with these types of projects.

Lynnm,

The factory Cornwall as you know does not use batting. They used that brown paper padding lashed to the interior of the cabinet with twine and staples. I wanted to use something similar but not so antiquated. And also something that does not displace too much interior cabinet volume and this appears to be the ticket. I used staples(only a few)to hold the foam in place instead of glue just so that experimentation could be carried out if need be.

Cut-throat,

I am a Left Coaster, a long shag from Maine unfortunately.

Neo,

I appreciate that thought Neo. I will deliver within a 2 to 2.5 hour radius from my home, but I will not ship these. Too many things can happen in shipping and these could not be replaced.

2nd try, lost the first post 8.gif

Another wonderful restoration Jordan! You, Greg and Q-Man (and others here I am sure) are indeed master 'Klipsch restoration' craftsmen!

As for safely shipping Cornwalls, DeanG had made available to forum member the "Klipsch Forum Cornwall Vault" which is currently in the posession of Audible Nectar I believe. Here is a link to a recent post on the subject. This custom made crate guarantees (as much as anything can) safe delivery of Cornwalls! I couldn't find any photos-Dean do you have photos to share?

Now, are any of you guys interested in doing a refinishing job on a pair of '74 'vertical horn' Cornwalls? If so, I would be greatly interested in hearing from you! Please PM me or shoot an email to moondog99@earthlink.net I'd love to find out how much a refinish job would run.

TIA!

Thanks, Ed!

I didn't want to buy shipped Cornwalls either - until I saw that. It's gotten numerous members Cornwalls who would otherwise not have them. It's made so many trips, the pallet had to be replaced.

I'll tell you what - that crate is STRONG. So strong, it seemed a good idea to make it available to members here, so they could get those prized Cornwalls. With new pallet, it's ready for another 25,000 miles.....with no oil change9.gif

It was Dean and Ken who made it possible; Dean by begging seller Ken to ship them to Dean, and Ken wasn't about to do it without something proper for the job, so Ken built this. I would say Ken succeeded!

Dean then made it available to the forum, and it's been making trips cross country with Cornwalls ever since (save for a winter off in the shed). It's ready for action!

Klipschaholik,

I veneered banged up Oak Laquered cabinets with Flat Cut Cherry then finished them using several coats of Tung Oil buffing with 0000 steel wool in between coats. I just love the natural look of Cherry.

Budman54,

Hang on Budman, geez, I have'nt even had the chance to give them a listen yet2.gif.

hey J,

GREAT job on the refurbishing your Cornwalls! I'd like to see what they looked like when you started with them.

My pair survived a HOUSE FIRE as they were owned by a guy who didn't know what he had and they were stored in a bedroom CLOSET! Suckers smelled like smoke the first few years I owned them! I only had to have the woofers reconed and they sound great, only problem is the walnut veneer is stained and hacked to bits. I'm a pretty good carpenter and can manage a router. I'd like to refinish my Corns as well, my first question would be - how in the heck do you manage to get the old veneer off first? (and how do you get the balls to attack your beloved Klipshes?)

Again- GREAT WORKMANSHIP!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yeah, I wish I had taken pictures before I started, but just did not think of it. Did'nt have a digital camera at the time either. Oh the transformation!

You do not have to remove the existing veneer first. Fill all the gouges, holes, etc. with wood filler. Sand the cabinets smooth to make sure you have the perfect substrate. Pick your veneer and the method of application and go to work.

If you get down to it and want more detail just give me a shout and I will be more than happy to help any way I can.

Excellent choice of wood. I thought you refinished the existing veneer on the corns. I'm thinking of using cherry veneer myself for the lascalas i just purchased and plan to refinish. Good to see people restoring these pieces of art back to their original condition so that they can be enjoyed for years to come. 1.gif

And in about 25 to 30 years a patina will settle in from age and they will be the most gorgeous Cornwalls in existence if they are not already. Not enough attention is paid to speaker cabinets. Any ideas on what folks are paying for production line cabinets compared to exotic lines where a $25 dollar driver (foil cones are probably less) is packaged in cabinets costing many times more? Paper veneer belies the intent of any manufacture serious about marketing to audiophiles. Craftmanship like yours is just not cost effective anymore for mass production. Those Cornwalls are truly one-offs.

• 6 months later...

I am making the pilgrimage to central calif tomorrow to pick these beauties up, and gonna borrow the wife's suburban (rather than taking the pick-up truck) just in case it rains. Just talked to her, suggested I take her out to dinner tonight.....and "oh by the way, any problem if I take the 'burb tomorrow to pick up the speakers????"

Her response----are they that big? me: "sure, but beautiful and i know you will love them!"

the wife: i think the ones you have in there now (Snell Acoustics-about 60 to 75% of the cw size) are too big! I think you should get some of those small Bose ones.....

... fell outta my chair. Is there no hope? Here she is about to feast her eyes and ears on the best looking CW's out there (yes, gary, even better than the zebrawood--although yours are the 2nd best looking

2.gif2.gif9.gif ) and she mentions the b-word. yikes.

You'd think after 25 years of wedded bliss i couldn't be surprised anymore. Go figure. Jorjen, here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!3.gif3.gif

First: Congratulations. You are buying one-off refurbed one-of-a-kind Cornwalls. You would do well to be happy and grateful that someone would even consider parting with them.

Second: They are NOT as good-looking as Gary's zebras. No way. No how. I have seen Gary's zebra's. He has had them since new. They are perfect. They are made with veneer that has a depth that would make one drool. Gary's zebra Cornwall speakers are museum-quality. They are unequalled.

we can disagree as to the aesthetics........but it is fun to get a chance to tease (good-naturedly, of course) gary, because he is so nice anyways9.gif

as for being grateful, i am extremely pleased to be getting these. my post was intended to share my glee and, at the same time, my poor attempt to inject a bit of humor. 'twould seem i failed in the latter attempt;

perhaps that is why my kids no longer laugh, but simply say i am "adorkable"

best to all, guess i will just troll quietly away now, g'night