Juicy Music Blueberry Part II

sheltie dave

Listening Impressions

For the past week, I have spent close to one hundred hours listening to the Blueberry going through its paces on a variety of equipment. The main system has included a McIntosh MC240 that was recently refurbished with new capacitors and then spec'ed out at 52 watts per channel at < 0.5% distortion, with a frequency response of - 0.5dB, 15Hz to 50KHz. The phono source was a Thorens TD125 MKII with SME 3009 tonearm and Shure V15 cartridge, and in a concession to budget concerns(or solidarity with the working class,) a vintage Nakamichi OMS2A CD player and a $75 JVC CD player. The lead speakers were a set of 1991 Klipsch Cornerhorns in stock form.

Rotating through the guest equipment lineup, additional speakers used included a set of 1972 commercial Altec A7s, a set of 1976 Klipsch Belles, and a set of 2003 Klipsch Hersesys. Visiting amplifiers include a Crown Power Line Four, a set of mono Wellborne Moondogs, a Dynaco ST70, and a set of mono Quicksilver M60s. Other preamplifiers that were used included a McIntosh C20, a McIntosh MX110, an AES 1 and AES 3, a Nakamichi 410, a Marantz 7C, a VTL Ultimate and a Crown Straight Line 2.

The Blueberry proved its mettle, delivering a very enjoyable and musical presentation with aplomb. Until three months ago, my main system included Quicksilver M60s and an AES 3 preamplifier. The Quicksilvers were wonderful amps, but the AES 3 was a little problematic, having pronounced microphonic tendancies and being a little brittle in the treble. Rather than rolling better tubes through and isolating the tubes, I picked up an MX110. Being a McIntosh, it has shown many of the presumed traits - a slightly darker midrange and more pronounced round bass. It is wonderful with many of the jazz selections I listen to, but still was not the exact sound I was seeking.

Enter the latest marriage, between the Blueberry and the McIntosh MC240. I listened to some of my favorite CDs, and was favorably impressed. At times I have come across selections that have two or three passages that sound horrible on a certain song. Two specific examples that I have run on every setup are Alison Krauss, "Baby, Now that I've Found You," and the intro on "Question," by the Moody Blues. No matter how careful recording engineers are, there will be certain points that overmodulate, or come very close. Only a superb preamp will be able to deliver such moments without breaking stride, and the Blueberry was the only preamplifier that did not founder.

If tasked to describe one aspect that truly makes the Blueberry stand out in a crowd, I would say that it does an incredible job giving percussion and bass a superb and distinct voice. Material that has been buried with virtually all preamplifiers I have heard is voiced effortlessly with the Blueberry. This seperation is subtle at first, but when a friend visited with his VTL Ultimate, Rega Planet, and Welborne Moondogs, he demanded that I bring a second set of Heresys downstairs so we could perfectly replicate the systems without having to switch everything out. He left the house muttering about selling his Ultimate so he could buy a Blueberry, if his wife will let him.

I have hammered on the Blueberry for the past week, trying to expose weak points. I have paired it with lesser amplifiers, poor source material, run A/B comparisons with highly regarded preamplifiers, and it has held its ground. There are a few minor tweaks that can make it even better. On Deneen's side of the fence, he is already sourcing a better chassis anchor system, which is quite understandable, this being the initial production run. My first tweak will be to roll a recommended Telefunken 12AX7 in the V2 tube slot. My wish list would include a second set of main outputs for flexibility, but this certainly is not a design flaw.

I am extremely impressed (and happy) with the Juicy Music Blueberry. Recordings that are average have proved to sound good with the Blueberry, and great recordings become subliminal. I could wax prosaic about how great certain CDs sound, but I would rather head out now to pick up another ten CDs, adding to the fourty I have purchased in the week I have had the Blueberry. If you are one of those fortunate to live near someone who has one, badger them for a listening session. For those with the werewithal, this is a worthy contender for your flagship preamplifier. Many of Mark Deneen's engineering concepts have proven to be winners in this well designed and constructed product.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A VTL Ultimate, Moondogs, Marantz 7 and a Rega Planet? the stuff that Kelly and I really like, that's wiered? That Nakamichi and JVC players probably outperform the Planet too?

Give me a break.

"I am extremely impressed (and happy) with the Juicy Music Blueberry. Recordings that are average have proved to sound good with the Blueberry, and great recordings become subliminal. I could wax prosaic about how great certain CDs sound, but I would rather head out now to pick up another ten CDs, adding to the fourty I have purchased in the week I have had the Blueberry" - just the opposite from what Gary had mentioned. Are you sure that you've got the same preamp?

----------------

On 4/15/2004 12:44:45 PM Guy Landau wrote:

A VTL Ultimate, Moondogs, Marantz 7 and a Rega Planet? the stuff that Kelly and I really like, that's wiered? That Nakamichi and JVC players probably outperform the Planet too?

Give me a break.

----------------

Leave it to Guy to be a trasher as always ! Do you never have anything positive to say or add about anyone but you and Kelly ? Get a life dude.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 12:52:23 PM NOSValves wrote:

Leave it to Guy to be a trasher as always ! Do you never have anything positive to say or add about anyone but you and Kelly ? Get a life dude.

----------------

I will get a life as soon as I stop seeing you and your buds lie and take advantage of innocent people's lack of knowledge.

PS,

Gary said that his system became more revealing and that poor and average recording really sounded bad - quite the opposite, as I understand. Maybe Sheltie has a "magical" system.

No, Dave said that average recordings sounded good, not that bad recordings sounded good.

Also present was a Crown Power Line Four, a Dynaco ST70, a set of mono Quicksilver M60s, a McIntosh C20, a McIntosh MX110, an AES 1, a Nakamichi 410, a Marantz 7C, and a Crown Straight Line 2. Yet you smell a conspiracy because some Moondogs, VTL, and Planet were there.

To add insult to previous injury, you now add slander by calling us a bunch of liars, when in fact -- it is you who is in dire need of therapy.

I feel very strongly that it is time for you to leave the forum, and find someplace else to spread your poison.

Guy, rather than go into immediate combat mode, please read the review. The VTL was not hooked up to the system for a great length of time. We listened to a couple songs that I know are ballbusters, and the VTL did not meet the Blueberry on certain technically challenging aspects. Terry likes to lurk on some sites, and will never hit the Klipsch site - he is a JBL kind of dude. He thinks some Klipsch people blow, and then he laughs about it.

Rega Planets are all over the place, not just residing with you and Kelly. Mike has one in Chaney, and he didn't pick it up because one specific person owned it. I personally am looking at a Tjoeb or Heart when I save some money.

There are probably 100X as many VTLs as there are Blueberrys - but there were one of each here for a night. Again, read the review carefully...Moondogs + Bluebberry passed some difficult musical passages(not 1812 digital cannons2.gif ) at moderate volume without distortion, Moondogs + VTL did not so well, with Terry at the controls, played through Heresys.

I hit Audiogon about two months ago, and had the set of Moondogs in Minnesota snagged for about $1,000, or so I thought in an e-mail glitch. Glowing review from people I trust like Jazman, Erik, and Dee have convinced me to get a set when the price is right again.

There really is no need to cause dissension. I bought the Blueberry, I listened to it, I liked it, I now have a review roughed out. Friends came over, and to a person they liked it. Professional opera singer, jazz scat singer, jazz guitarist, - and hopefully Henry, Bob, and Taylor will get a chance soon. If you are in St. Louis any time in the future, feel free to post or e-mail me. I have no problem with anyone stopping by for a listen and a beer or wine.

If you really are taking umbrage at the review, feel free to buy one and fire up your own review. Who knows, it's a real good product- you might end up liking it better than whatever preamp you are currently running!2.gif

PS there is one guy out in Ladue who will make all our equipment look like Heathkit rejects. I consider the opportunity to listen to some great audio to be a blessing. It makes me happy1.gif

Dean,

I promise to be the next one to leave after you guys.

Dave,

I might like it as well. I'm not saying that it doesn't sound good (since I haven't listened to it) and I'll be more than happy to audition it and pay the cost of shipping to me and back to the loaner.

I also know that MH offered to audition it and suggested to write his subjective review and put it on the web - for some reason, the manufacturer refused.................

Guy Landau please quit all the hostile criticism. No one cares about your nonsense but you. Do something worthwile with your life. Like getting off your computer, walking out of your apartment, getting a job and working for a living. Mommy and Daddy could free up some cash that way as well. I am new here and it did not take me long at all to figure out your M.O. Now run along.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 1:21:58 PM tubinhard wrote:

Guy Landau please quit all the hostile criticism. No one cares about your nonsense but you. Do something worthwile with your life. Like getting off your computer, walking out of your apartment, getting a job and working for a living. Mommy and Daddy could free up some cash that way as well. I am new here and it did not take me long at all to figure out your M.O. Now run along.
----------------

What ever you say, Paul.

Guy, one reason I didn't really name any CDs we listened to is because I was concerned you might realize they were CDs you and Kelly liked2.gif Right now I'm listening to Jackie DeShannon singing "Put a Little Love in your Life." It is a real happy song, though it WOULD sound better on a Rega Planet. It sounds great on a $75 JVC too6.gif

Terry is laughing at work, and again stated on the phone that "Klipsch people blow." He says I'm a JBL person at heart2.gif

Guy,

I think you misunderstood me. I have had this problem with every amp/preamp combo in my downstairs system. I should have been more clear when we spoke. It is more pronounced now that good recordings sound so much better and the bad recordings sound just as bad. The gap has widened. The acoustics are terrible and certain recordings just sound plain bad in that room. I hope Larry will jump in here. He and I did some extensive testing of TTs and recordings to try and find out why some just sound thin and lifeless in that room.

The blueberry did not solve that particular problem. CDs all sound great (to the extent CDs can and do). Certain lps that sound good upstairs with the scott/cornwalls sound thin with everything I've ever had hooked up to the altecs in that room.

The BB, like I've said many times, blows away all previous preamps in that system. I don't believe anything other than acoustical changes to that room will solve my other problem. I did run wires to my cornwalls upstairs and as good as the scott sounds, the MkIII/BB combo is just amazing. The imaging/soundstage has just bloomed. When playing classical music, I was always impressed how Larry's khorns could display such clarity and seperation of instruments while the cornwalls seem to jumble the instruments together in comparison. Much more difficult to hear how a cello and clarinet blend together to give a specific type of sound. I doubt I'll ever get close to the OTLs/Khorns in that regard but the difference with the MkIIIs/BB was astounding.

I have about 8 feet of space on each side of my cornwalls and with the BB in the mix, my soundstage has widened and sometimes extends far beyond the 8 feet. I get the same effect to some extent with the scott but nothing like the this.

I have only used the BB in one system with the MkIIIs so that is the extent of my reviewing capability. I have used 3 pairs of speakers and 2 different rooms however. All were extremely impressive. I've also been entirely on my own. Just my ears. I'm hoping I can drag Larry out to the house next week (not an easy task since he broke his foot) since he is very familiar with my system when it included the Marantz. Another ear will be helpful.

Great review Dave.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 1:19:24 PM Guy Landau wrote:

I'll be more than happy to audition it and pay the cost of shipping to me and back to the loaner.

----------------

How incredibly generous of you!

----------------

I also know that MH offered to audition it and suggested to write his subjective review and put it on the web - for some reason, the manufacturer refused.................

----------------

I remember well when Mobile tried to pull this scam on Al K. and his balancing networks, too. Even though Al K. had a money-back guarantee, that wasn't good enough for Mobile; he needed freebies. Then when Al K. wisely refused to send a pair out for free, Mobile ratcheted up the anti-Al K. posts. Quite transparent and quite reprehensible behavior.