whats wrong with my setup....

Sanman023

----------------

On 4/15/2004 12:49:52 PM Sanman023 wrote:

ive sketched what my setup would be like if i added the rf5s to the rear....anything else wrong with my setup...thanks...

----------------

I agree with "gtDark". I would lose a pair of the RS-3IIs (keep the pair directly in-line with the couch - lose the forward pair). That would be way to much in a 12 by 10 foot room. All kinds of sound cancellations and reflections would be the result. I have a single pair of RS-7s in a 14x15 foot room, and they are more than sufficient to provide good coverage. I would imagine a single pair of the RS-3IIs would be plenty good enough for a 10 x 12 foot room.

Other than that, I say "rock-on".

----------------

On 4/15/2004 1:53:36 PM eq_shadimar wrote:

Do you already have all the other equipment shown in the drawing?

----------------

yes....my current setup is with a pair of rs3 aligned with the couch...and a pair of rs3 behind the couch....i was thinking since some of my guests like to lay on the floor...they are missing out on the surround in the middle of the room....maybe i should get the rf5s and sell both pairs of rs3s and get the rs7s...

What's wrong with your system... it's dishonest! It's cheating you of the sound that you could have had. Your room layout is far better suited to two-channel or three-channel stereo than it is for a legitimate 6.1 system... and too narrow for a 7.1 system (7.1 merely repeats the same sixth channel information to two rear center speakers).

You would do far better to have three RC-7's on your rear array... two flanking the sofa and one directly behind the sofa. The sofa would do better scooted out a bit from the wall as m00n has done in his HT. The side/surrounds should be more in line with the ears in the prime listening area.

Putting four "sound sprayers" on your side walls will only create a false ambience of overwhelmingly unnatural sound that, hopefully, you will soon outgrow. In your sketch, you show a rather large equipment area in what seems to be a closet behind the screen. If it were my room, I would probably mount a sound permeable screen and position another RF-7 behind it. As good as an RC-7 is (and it is good), it just doesnt have the cabinet volume and components to equal the grandeur of an RF-7 and the front center speaker needs to be the absolute best in your rig if you are going to get the full benefit of multi-channel movie sound where upwards of 75% of the total sound comes from the front center speaker.

Three RC-7s will deliver more natural ambience from the current state of the art in DVD mixing that the six hodge-podge arrangement on your sketch. I have been where you are and have found acoustic excellence a step beyond. Obviously, it is your ears and what they perceive at this stop in the never ending journey of sound enjoyment.

So my vote is for six RF-7s and failing that six RC-7s and failing that three RF-7s in the front array and three RC-7s in the rear array supported for DVDs with an adequate subwoofer array located in the front corner of the room to double its efficiency. -HornEd

thanks for the good info and comments....keep it coming...until i decide to sell and design a bigger home with a bigger dedicated home theater(no need right now...its just me and my fiance who happened to move herself in....maybe in a year)...this will have to do....im looking towards the future so im trying to set it up as if the room is bigger...

Didn't read everyones response... from what I'm looking at, you have no need for the 2 sets of surrounds. At least not in my opinion. Remember, my theater is NOT an example to follow. The audio gods have beat me up and down several times. 2.gif

I'm still trying to figure things out for myself.

Sanman023, RC-7's are a great speaker in their own right. Seven of them make a truly fine timbre matched set and they can be set vertically for the Left and Right Mains. Having six (or seven) identical timbre-matched speakers eliminates the Doppler Effect (phase shift) when a sound moves from one speaker to another. -HornEd

----------------

On 4/15/2004 5:29:31 PM Sanman023 wrote:

heres another draft...following horns advice....this maybe be a silly question...but why not have all rc 7 speakers...even the front l and r.......

what other ways can i do this....that are budget friendly....

----------------

Some will say that the taperd array on the crossover is not ideal. That may be so, but when I did a side by side comparrison two weeks ago... 2 RC7s in stereo vs. 2 RB75's in stereo... Well... I was blown away at the RC7s. They in my opinion are an amaizing speaker. They are not just for center duty anymore. Not in my book anyway. 2.gif

Oh and one more thing.. Some people prefer a WDST surround. It gives better coverage over a larger area. Again while this may be true, I have found that I like the sound of RC7s as surrounds better. It's my personal taste... Again, this is the world according to m00n. My theater is NOT to be used as an example for anyone to follow.

mOON

The only thing I may have copied is your 3 RF-7s. I had this thought before but didn't think it was a good idea. Then I went to your website and I was like, thats so cool. By the way, the only reasons I don't like it is because it cost me alot of money and and I have to set my TV up high. But I love how it sounds.

Sanman023

I think 6 RF-7s would be awsome as it is a dream I have. My room is about your size but I have more in it so its not possible at this point. 3 RF-7s are awsome 6 would be alot better. I have both RS and RFs in the back and I listen to the my RF-s more often. RS speakers have there thing, but RF speakers give more sound I think. Just my thoughts.

CD

Too damn many speakers and not enough room!

Use 3 across the back and 3 across the front. Build another HT system for your sister!

No doubt the dial RS-3s on the sides are cancelling each other at some frequencies.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 12:49:52 PM Sanman023 wrote:

ive sketched what my setup would be like if i added the rf5s to the rear....anything else wrong with my setup...thanks...

Guys..

Didn't see that someone mentioned it in all of the posts. I know that sub is omni-directional, but shouldn't the RSW15 be up on the front wall?

----------------