New to forum & wow :)

Coytee

Sooo many thoughts & questions...

Just found this forum and love what I've seen so far. I'm sure I'm about ready to say some things that are blasphemous to some...but oh well ;)

I've got a pair of Lascallas that I bought around 1980. I have 3 Academy's that I use as my front effects & center. I have a pair (my favorite actually) of Electro Voice, Interface "D".

one thing I find lovely is, the EV's are rated "-3 db at 28 hz" and will put out something like 106 db AT 28hz. The net effect, the Lascallas will punch you in the chest, but the EV's will shake the foundation.

We're building a house, basement unfinished so far. This will be "my" place for my toys. I've wired in for a sub... is there really any NEED for a sub? I've looked at some of the specs on subs and quite frankly, on paper, it looks like my EV's will go toe to toe with any sub out there. The EV's are also bi-ampable and when I set downstairs up, I'll swap out the bi-amp plug & run their bottom end with my OLD yamaha CR 2020 w/120/channel and run their top end with my yamaha HT (forget it's number) along with it running all the Klipsh.

Gads, I love finding this forum... I feel like I've found some long lost bretheren.

Do this vintage Klipsch have the "good drivers" or ... hmmm..other? (I never knew there were differences in the drivers)

I read another thread that incinuated that my Academys might be worth (presuming in proper shape) up to $400??? is that reasonably accurate?

If I were to look to replace them, what capable speakeer would you use? When I purchased them, I told the guy I had the Lascallas & my criteria was to get speakers that would "keep up" with them, absent hanging 2 more Lascallas on my walls (yikes... not sure wifey woudl like THAT)

Anyway, sorry for meandering some, I'm just tickled to have found this site & will look forward to reading as much of it as I can.

I'm VERY sure that relative to many many of you, I'm an ignoramous on these things and am CEERTAINLY not going to be accused of having that "fine ear" that I'm sure many of you have.

My feeling about that is... I've heard speakers that sound incredible in the STORE and am sure they would at home...HOWEVER, my setup sounds (to me) more like what I hear in real life at a real concert.

Some of my stuff (old) is (and here is where you purists will cringe I'm sure)

Yamaha HT (again, forget the model)

yamaha 2020 (or 2040?) 120/side

3bx for added punch!

dbx 110 "boom box" for REALLY added punch and moving foundations

Audio Control w/ spectrum analyzer

Lascallas

Interface D

Academys

With the 3bx and audio control....I guess it shows I love flashing lights! Nothing better than watching flashing lights while the house is crumbling from all the vibrating & shaking going on!

Richard

Knoxville, TN area

!! have I said I'm tickled to have found this site?

Welcome to the forum.

Your academys are worth more like $600 each these days.

You may find you'll want a sub for movies. The shake factor is where the subs excel. Look into either the klipsch RSW series or SVS.

1980 was a good year. No worries there.

Lots of great folks and great info here. Stay away from the 2-channel forum though unless you have lots of extra cash on hand. You'll understand what I'm talking about after you've been here a while.2.gif

Welcome Coytee. You remind me of myself after I discovered this forum. Many hours I spent reading current threads and wading through the archives. And still do. I just do not post that often.

This place is addictive as alcohol......almost. Have fun and I predict in 6 months or less you will decide to buy yet, another new piece of equipment. It just happens around here.

What's really scary is that the only gear I started with before I discovered this forum a year ago were my cornwalls, my old technics TT, the pioneer tape deck and technics cdp.6.gif That doesn't even take into consideration the 6 or 7 pieces I've bought and sold in that time frame or the 2,000 or so lps and cds!

Oh my is that ever a mouthful you just said. My wife just asked me why I had e-bay bookmarked and had four items (all stereo related) on my watch list. Oh well, it is addictive but much safer than some other vices I can think of.

Yesterday my wife asked if I'd buy something for her on ebay. I told her I could only do it from work (couldn't remember my password LOL). I didn't want her to see the # of transactions! She'd be proud if she saw my feedback though.11.gif9.gif

BTW - The "there are worse vices" excuse doesn't work for me anymore. She sees right through that!

A password prevents my wife from viewing my favorites list and all. Coytee, if ya ever need help in sneaking stuff in the house or stories that will throw the wife off track, you've come to the right place. BTW, put me first on your list if you ever want to sell one of those Academys'and welcome to the Forum.

Yeah Gary, I am wondering how long that one is going to work. I have also used the it's MUCH safer than the Harley I want. So far, that one has worked well. I had motorcycles when I was younger and she knows I would go there in a minute if I got the least bit of encouragement. Her brother is both a Klipsch guy and a Harley owner and she knows we talk about both hobbies when we see each other. I think she holds her breath and just puts up with the stereo stuff to keep me from going over to the "dark side".11.gif

**Your academys are worth more like $600 each these days.

You may find you'll want a sub for movies. The shake factor is where the subs excel. Look into either the klipsch RSW series or SVS.**

(hope I copied correctly)

yikes on the $600... for real? memory says I only paid like $300 for them??? or is my failing memory, failing me? I dont' remember.

anyway, the subs...

Can you or someone do me a favor?

List a "suggested" sub that will be reasonably mated with the Lascallas.

Specs straight out their brochure on my "D"s are (can't belive I still have it after 26 years, these are circa 1978 & my first purchase)

23-20,000 +/-3db

97 db 1 watt/1 meter

125 db peak (with 500 watts maximum)

103 db long term average

That is off print, from another review I have (April 1978) they said these are capable of long term, 106 db AT 28 hz.

Anyway, I have an inkling as to what all that means. I never thought much about it until talking with EV one day and he explained the "-3 db down point" to me, then I realized that the -3 db down point (at 28 hz he said) was why they "seemed" to shake the foundation so much more...

they DO!

Anyway, back to my point... most subs that I've casually looked at, poop out in the 35/40 hz range?

Have I yet said, I'm tickled to have found this place 9.gif

Well, if it is mammoth subwoo***e that you are looking for, with the ability to reach deep into the nither regions of sub bass, look at the SVS subwoofers. Just do some searches on SVS here (there's more of those than Klipsch RSW - that should tell you something). These subwoofers go to 20 hz and below.....with mammoth output. If you want to get 120+ db at 20 hz, this is a great place to start.

Go to www.svsubwoofers.com, and read all about 'em. THINK BIG!!!!!! SVS is one of the few whose sales puffery matches the performance.

And welcome to our cyber-place9.gif

----------------

On 4/18/2004 6:45:25 AM Coytee wrote:

**Your academys are worth more like $600 each these days.

You may find you'll want a sub for movies. The shake factor is where the subs excel. Look into either the klipsch RSW series or SVS.**

(hope I copied correctly)

yikes on the $600... for real? memory says I only paid like $300 for them??? or is my failing memory, failing me? I dont' remember.

anyway, the subs...

Can you or someone do me a favor?

List a "suggested" sub that will be reasonably mated with the Lascallas.

Specs straight out their brochure on my "D"s are (can't belive I still have it after 26 years, these are circa 1978 & my first purchase)

23-20,000 +/-3db

97 db 1 watt/1 meter

125 db peak (with 500 watts maximum)

103 db long term average

That is off print, from another review I have (April 1978) they said these are capable of long term, 106 db AT 28 hz.

Anyway, I have an inkling as to what all that means. I never thought much about it until talking with EV one day and he explained the "-3 db down point" to me, then I realized that the -3 db down point (at 28 hz he said) was why they "seemed" to shake the foundation so much more...

they DO!

Anyway, back to my point... most subs that I've casually looked at, poop out in the 35/40 hz range?

Have I yet said, I'm tickled to have found this place
9.gif

----------------

Yes. $600. They are very sought after and rare these days. I paid $500 for mine.

SVS is the way to go if you don't mind BIG. I have an RSW12 and love it. Great with both music and movies. You can find them for about $1k and they aren't too big. They fit nicely behind a chair in a corner which is where mine is. You can't even tell it's in the room. SVS has a tall cylindrical model that stands about 4 ft high and 18 inches or so in diameter. Check out their websight. Best bang for the buck if you don't mind the appearance.

BTW - We all know the specs on the various klipsch models. No need to repeat them.2.gif This is a forum of klipsch fanatics afterall.

lol Garymd... You know your specs huh? lol not to sound rude or otherwise anal, but those specs were on my EV's, not the Klipsch! lol. I specifically didn't mention the Klipsch, for the very reason you mention, however, I'm not aware how knowledgable anyone might be on the Interface D series, hence, the specs 2.gif

My bet is, if you compare the actual specs on the two, the Klipsch's will blow the EV's out of water with raw efficiency and what I call "mid base" punch. The EV's will excel in that DEEP base. In real life, side by side, (which I can speak pretty good on for 25 years), the EV's will blow the walls out, where as the Lascallas will only vibrate the walls. It's a very noticable difference. The EV's definately put the "floor" down OVER the Klipsch's (and I LOVE my Lascallas, so I'm not dissing them)

9.gif