JBL 2404H

Altec Grey?

I was asked by a fellow here in the Boston area to make a pair of JBL 2404H add-ons for his Altec A-7s. They were in the battleship grey color scheme.

It took a few mixs but were able to match the color very closely. I liked the color so much I hung my own stands in the booth and gave them a spray (they got three coats with sanding between).

altec%20grey%201.jpg

altec%20grey%202.jpg

altec%20grey%203.jpg

altec%20grey%204.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They "do" look cool don't they.

I learned, quite unintentionally, that it is not easy to photograph the color grey without it looking like blue or purple. The color is best rendered under halogen lamps. If you can believe it, I used two 100W halogen spots to get these pictures.

John,

You know me, I'm interested in tyhe network! That tweeter is constant directivity, doesn't it require and equalizer? Doesn't that cut the sensitivity down too much to match and A7?

I did that with a Beyma CP09 CD tweeter on my "Heresy on steroids" project and wound up with only 90 dB sensitivity. That was right for a direct radiator though. The A7 is much higher.

BTW: I like the grey too. To my eye, that shade of grey tricks my eyes into seeing a pale blue!

Al K.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 7:48:32 AM Al Klappenberger wrote:

John,

You know me, I'm interested in tyhe network! That tweeter is constant directivity, doesn't it require and equalizer?

The on-axis, 1m, -3dB frequency is 19kHz. The 50° off-axis, 1m, -6dB frequency is 20kHz.

Doesn't that cut the sensitivity down too much to match and A7?

The minimum on axis SPL between 3.2-20kHz is rated at 105dB/W/m with -3dB frequency at 19kHz. The on-axis response dos not exhibit the roll-off typical of CD horns. The on-axis, -10dB frequency is 21.5 kHz. Having said that, the same motor structure is used in the JBL conical tweeter and that hits 112dB/W/m so some efficiency is disposed of "selectively".

I did that with a Beyma CP09 CD tweeter on my "Heresy on steroids" project and wound up with only 90 dB sensitivity.

The -09 has issues above 15kHz.

That was right for a direct radiator though. The A7 is much higher.

BTW: I like the grey too. To my eye, that shade of grey tricks my eyes into seeing a pale blue!

The A7 has an odd color. I think Altec used primer as a finished coat.

Al K.
----------------

----------------

On 4/19/2004 10:39:10 AM Q-Man wrote:

If were doing the Altec grey thing, they also had their horns painted grey. What do you guys think? Should the tweeter lens also be painted grey?
----------------

Why stop there, we could spray the whole thing, caps, terminal block, wires, etc. Then it would be an "object-of-art".

----------------

On 4/20/2004 4:05:15 AM sunnysal wrote:

nice work john! how did you come up with the design for the x-over? or is it just "improved stock"? warm regards, tony----------------

Tony-

The networks are my own design and consist of a single LCR filter and a 3rd, 4.5kHz Butterworth filter. The BW terminates into a 7 Ohm load between 3-6kHz thanks to the LCR conjugate. The design is similar to the one I made for Gary's filters (Q-man). In his however, I went to 6kHz. Even with the attenuation provided by the LCR filter, the 2404H needs additional attenuation and I use a 1.5dB Lpad for that.

I'm putting a small website together that shows the schematic, parts list and how to make the stand. When it's done I'll post it.

Maron-

JBL Blue did come to mind. Didn't JBL also make a very light grey?

I think walnut and cherry finished are overated. Loudspeakers are engineered systems, not furniture.

JOHN......You think like an engineer. All speakers fit in furniture cabinets. Yes the early JBL,s were light grey. Then dark grey then blue then black.. some special order units in orange And for Bob Heil, Purple.

• 2 weeks later...

These were done using textured black spray. The surface ends up looking similar to crinkle.

I managed to achieve glass smooth surfaces on the external faces using a filler compound, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, etc. technique until the final color was laid down.

Tex%20Blk%204.jpg

Tex%20Blk%20Bench.jpg